Intro Hey, I'm Ahmed!

ahmedl9

• Name: Ahmed Lone
  • Social: My Github, IRC nickname, and most other ids are ahmedl9
  • From:I study Computer Science at the University of Pennsylvania, but I'm originally from Canada!
  • Skills / Tools: I'm part of the game development club at my school, we've jumped between a few languages in game development but for the most part have been using Java to create our own 2D game engine, so I have a bit of experience in those areas. In other clubs and classes we've used Java, Python, OCaml, C++, and C. I've done some computer vision research in the past and so I'm familiar with scientific computing libraries and OpenCV, though that's of less immediate relevance. I'm also learning how to use Maya for animation right now and could probably do some work in that area by summer as well.
  • Found via: I played tons of of modded Minecraft in the past, back from when Tekkit was popular to FtB and a bunch of other modpacks. I loved the combination of sandbox with "progressive" elements and so when I saw Terasology on the GsoC list I wanted to reach out and see if I could contribute.
  • Interests: I found the proposal for the noise-based generation of distinguishable terrain features to be interesting. Games like Rimworld got me thinking about procedural generation a lot and I've had to do a decent amount of data analytics and processing for research so I'm not unaccustomed to this kind of project. I took a look at the blog post on leveling 'lake' terrain and found notable similarities between that example of terrain generation and some of my past projects - I've implemented Quadtrees for image compression and editing and can imagine how that kind of work could be used for procedural generation.
  • Extra: While I've been coding for a few years I haven't worked on an open source project before and am excited to try. I'm still reading up on Terasology and trying to familiarize myself with it, and I'll try to contribute something soon to get an idea for how that might work. If anyone reading this has any advice on what I could/should do, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey there, welcome to the forum :) For some reason your post got caught in the spam checker, I just released it. I think!

I just recently clarified the issue linked to your mentioned idea: https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues/943 - it has some more details now you can check out for a better idea of at least one interpretation of the topic.

To get started make yourself a nice source workspace and then probably check out some tutorials, especially the nice one on assets as well as naturally the world gen one :)