Contributor Hi! I'm Manas.

manas96

Contributor
Hi. I'm a Computer Science undergrad and I'm interested in contributing to Terasology this summer.

Besides a few games in Unreal Engine 4 and Java(2D), I've tried making a game engine in Java from scratch (read: OpenGL) using LWJGL. I did follow various tutorials and I certainly won't claim that I can make another without help, but that project is helping me greatly in understating Terasology's codebase.
Here's a link to the engine if you're interested.

I'm interested in expanding the Light&Shadow module. Besides the already suggested features, I have another idea which I'd like to run by you all:

New gameplay feature: A Chemistry Engine! My inspiration for this idea was this GDC talk by The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's developers.
Basically, all the elements in the game (earth, fire, air, water etc.) have specific interactions with each other and perform specific actions according to a set of predefined rules.
I'd like to implement a modular system wherein any element along with its interactions with other elements can be defined.
So for example you could create a fire, water and electricity element. A fire<->water interaction will result in the water nullifying the fire and an electricity<->water interaction will make the electricity element more powerful.
See this video by Mark Brown for a concise explanation.

I also would like to work on the Shaderland refactoring issue. I have a basic understanding of the OpenGL shader pipeline, GLSL and how shaders are abstracted in a game engine. Is there a beginner issue that I could solve to get familiar with the refactoring?

TL;DR:
  • Name:Manas Kale
  • Social: https://github.com/manas96
  • Skills / Tools: Intermediate Java, C++, Unreal Engine4, 2D/3D Game Development, 3D Game Engine dev.
  • Found via: Google Summer of Code.
  • Interests:Adding new gameplay templates using a chemistry engine like that in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Shaderland refactoring.

Last edited:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey there, welcome! Going through a bunch of recent activity and spotted your PR and intro thread here, all merged with credits updated and contributor badge added woo! :)

That chemistry thing sounds very interesting! I had a similar concept in mind for eventual magic systems, there may even be a suggestion thread or two around somewhere that relates. Although my nerdy interest might be more closely related to the symbols you then might use and mix to arrive at some interaction, especially since we might get our own runic alphabet at some point. I loved Legend's spellcasting system :gooey:

Shaderland is scary to me but the weeds in rendering are being cleared out, headed up by @manu3d with efforts also by @vampcat, @tdgunes, @eviltak and others. It may be ideal to try to find them on chat sometime or here in the forum to get introduced to the area and find something to work on to familiarize yourself with :)