Contributor Hi Teras, I am Suriya :) NTMU

codesavory

Name: Suriya D Murthy, aka Codesavory

Social: github: https://github.com/codesavory
IRC Nick: codesavory

From: I am from India, pursuing my Final Year Undergrad in Computer Science

Skills / Tools:
Skills: C++, Java and Python.
Tools: Blender(and in-built Python scripting) & Processing.

Found via: GSoC, 2k16

Interests: My Interests in game development are in 3D animation, 3D Modelling and Physics. I love Blender and worked a lot with it if that is a plus.
Interested Ideas of Terasology:
1. Physics-based combat system, mainly because of interest in physics engine
2. Anatomy system, because of my Blender skills
3. Improve visibility of missing resource scenarios and general user reporting, seemed feasible and interesting with my java skills

4. Standalone NUI editor, interested in this mainly because I love to develop UI and have experience with python pickle which could be used for json serializing/deserializing

Extra:
I have previously contributed code to an organization called CopyLeftGames and created an addon in Blender to be able to create a game level for their game engine PySoy. You can find it here, please see the video to get a clear picture.
I would like to have your view on which areas of Terasology would I be more appropriate to contribute with my skills and interests, though I have selected the above four as more feasible by me.

Last edited:

Florian

Contributor
Architecture
Currently characters in terasology just have blender's monkey mesh as player character as placeholder. I think it would be nice if someone could improve that area with something interesting.

e.g. some kind of character the players can idenify themself with. Minecraft solves it quite nicely with simple but skinable basic human models.

Like for example "craftable" arms and legs or something. e.g. one crafting item gives the character black hair, the other changes the shape of the hair. A third influences the shape of the hair further by making it longer. etc. It would be I think nice for gsoc as it allows for multiple small goals and much room for expansion should there be time.

In terasology we have a basic support for MD5 meshes and animations. However the export script we used to create most models does not export boundings correctly:

http://www.katsbits.com/smforum/index.php?topic=167.0

Since it is GPL, it could be fixed to export boundaries correctly. Are you interested in fixing that issue? It's on my soon todo list, but I gladly leave it to you since you seem to be an expert in that area too.

codesavory

Hi Florian,

Firstly thank you for taking time to reply for my ideas. I am sorry you tried pinging me in IRC, but I was AFK.
My timezone is http://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/ist, and I got to know your too,, Germany! amazing...we will coordinate better...

The 1st Idea of crafting 3D characters seems very interesting and feasible by me. Yes we could do that, add more features along and provide varying crafting features: skins, hairs, clothing, structure, and rig joints power etc.

The 2nd Idea of fixing exporter for MD5 meshes also seems feasible. But I haven't had prior experience in MD5, will be happy to learn it though. I have only worked with Blender API's to access multiple elements of a Mesh, I should learn the way it is exported onto in Terasology. Did you mean OpenGL or GPL ? I am not aware of any GPL related to 3D.
Will go through the issue token. Is katsbits where bugs are tracked ?

Florian

Contributor
Architecture
Hi codesavory,

The MD5 exporter fix was not an idea for the google summer of code. MD5 is a simple plain text model format. It's something small probably doable in 1-2 hours when you know how to write exporters for Blender. Please let me know till Friday evening if you are interested in fixing it this weekend. Otherwise I will just do it myself as it is something I need. You don't get any boni for doing it. I just thought that you would learn that way how it is currently possible to get models from Blender to Terasology and what the issues are with it. However thinking about it again, the actual fixing of the MD5 exporter might not offer you that much to learn about that process.

GPL is the short name for GNU Public License and is an open sourse license.

Last edited:

codesavory

The MD5 Exporter, I will try fixing it this weekend. I should be able to figure out my way on what the issue is, if any help I would ask you. Got the entire picture now, you are using katbits MD5 exporter, since its GPL I would be able to fix the issue :) I mistook it for something else within Terasology!

Once I am done with this, maybe you could tell me where I could start with for "Character Crafting".

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey @codesavory and welcome, although I think we might have spoken on IRC sometime already :)

Yep katsbits.com is just support for one of the many tools/libs we use. Our own tracker is on GitHub so if you check out the Contributor Friendly category there sometime you might find other little tasks that can help you learn about the Terasology code and how to work on changes there.

I'd love to see some more work on character models and customizing! @glasz is also working on some actual models for that.

Edit: A maybe-kinda-sorta related old concept would be expressive models which @glasz was looking at some time ago. We also had some critters by @eleazzaar that were built to have faces with ample space to display expressions dynamically

Last edited: