WIP I had converted Runescape runes into pixel art, for a modual I may or may not finish. Have them.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Those are runes? They look more like little icons (not that there's anything wrong with that!). Might just show that I don't know Runescape much :)

I don't know how they license their artwork either, is reuse permissible?

I might just look for an outright runic font or something that's free use, or just draw some basic ones from scratch :)

chessandgo

Contributor
Hunter
Those are runes? They look more like little icons (not that there's anything wrong with that!). Might just show that I don't know Runescape much :)

I don't know how they license their artwork either, is reuse permissible?

I might just look for an outright runic font or something that's free use, or just draw some basic ones from scratch :)

It was just converting them to 16 bit icon (for blocks) , and at such a low level i wouldn't they would care.

although i am turning actual runes into vector graphics.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Okay, makes more sense now that I can see the original :)

But yes, real runic! I'm totally not biased despite being from Scandinavia .. :D

Keep in mind that we do support greater than 16x16, and in some cases it makes much more sense to use something higher res. I would say something nice like runes that should be easily legible would qualify there. Key part is that higher res stuff should typically be artificial (not nature) so you only see it rarely in the world. At that point the higher res is less problematic than say if all tree textures everywhere were high res.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
We also should take real rune fonts into account (maybe in combination with dynamic texture overlays). There are free fonts for the different Furthark rune sets available on the net, although I'd need to double check the license their published under. Having runes as fonts might be better for their usage in journal, on road signs and the like.

Note to self: generate some Nordic names with our name generator and use them in runic style :barefoot: