WIP [Icons] Various Items .... :o)

metouto

Contributor
Art
Sorry for not being able to hold a chat session :( but if you will give me a list of needs that I could do for you in paint/gimp I will do my best to get them done for you :thumbsup:

The only thing I can remember is mike (?) wanted a spear/hammer in brown .... question ... would lite or dark match up best???

I know that there were other things but but maybe they could be re-listed here for me to have to refresh my memory please/thank you :coffee:

again .... sorry for not being able to hold a chat session:cry:

Mike Kienenberger

Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Sorry for not being able to hold a chat session :( but if you will give me a list of needs that I could do for you in paint/gimp I will do my best to get them done for you :thumbsup:

The only thing I can remember is mike (?) wanted a spear/hammer in brown .... question ... would lite or dark match up best???

I know that there were other things but but maybe they could be re-listed here for me to have to refresh my memory please/thank you :coffee:

again .... sorry for not being able to hold a chat session:cry:
What I wanted was the oreon models updated to texture the spear and hammer brown (or another color than black). I'm no artist, so I don't want to suggest anything beyond "something other than black" :)

I looked at the textures for it, and they are tiny. So probably it would be a matter of setting the texture coordinates for the hammer and spear textures to point to the brown area instead of the black one. As a non-artist, I'd be in hacking the raw materials files :)

Other things I've seen that could be improved:

1) Miniaturizer needs its own icon
2) Maze Module maze builder needs its own icon
3) Pathfinding needs several tool icons so far:
a) Spawn minion
b) Move to selection
c) build block at selection
d) remove block at selection

metouto

Contributor
Art
Were these files made with paint or gimp to start with ??? if not I am not sure I could do it .... but if they were ..... I would be glad to try to rework them .....

Mike could tell me where the files are posted ???

I will NOT be stepping on anyone's toes here will I ?????

Mike Kienenberger

Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Sorry. I was vague. By "improved" I mean that they all use the scissors icon -- we are missing an icon for these things.

metouto

Contributor
Art
Ok ... I believe I understand Mike let me try and see what I can come up with for you ... remember I'm not real good but I try REAL hard to please :coffee:

metouto

Contributor
Art
Would this do Mike ???

Hammer.png it is a hammer
Spear.png it is a Spear
SpawnMinionHere.png this one is for Path finding Spawn minion

Miniaturizer.png this is Miniaturzer
MazeModule.png this is the maze module
MoveTo.png this would be the move to
BuildBlock.png this is build a block
RemoveBlock.png this is remove a block

Ok ..... all icons are now 16x16 and have white backgrounds :coffee:

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Miniaturizer and Maze icons look awesome, really nice work! :thumbsup:

I think all the (icon) stuff that is currently present in the repo is located here, the specific files would be
https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/blob/develop/engine/src/main/resources/assets/textures/buffs.png
https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/blob/develop/engine/src/main/resources/assets/textures/icons.png
https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/blob/develop/engine/src/main/resources/assets/textures/inventory.png
https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/blob/develop/engine/src/main/resources/assets/textures/items.png

So, if you're really bored or something you may try yourself on all kinds of tools/weapons, more icons for buffs/effects (use your imagination or crawl through the L&S thread, maybe there are some hints/requests ...).
I made some color buckets (
) some time ago, I think nearly everything you can think of will be useful someday :geek:

metouto

Contributor
Art
Thanks Skaldarnar .... and I love the buckets :omg: why are you not doing art things ???? What program did you use for the buckets ??? :coffee:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
From just now on IRC - and yeah maze, mini, and move to look great, although I'm not sure how they'd look in the toolbar with transparency, need to test sometime. Might need a background :)

synopia could use icons for:
  • Spawn here (icon, so it'll get displayed pretty tiny, won't be able to read text beyond maybe one letter)
  • Walk to block - looks like we got that one already!
  • Build block / remove block - might need something more simple than construction hat
  • Arbitrary "target" blocks - squiggly lines in different colors, or circles, or boxes, etc. I vote for including the symbols from the Fifth Element :D
Be wary of nice looking 64x64 - as icons for the toolbar they'll have to shrink anyway and might look different. On outright blocks 32x or 64x would look much better than 16x

metouto

Contributor
Art
Thanks Skaldarnar I will look because I can ALWAYS use helps :coffee:

Cervator ..... will re do the 64's and come up with some way to get them to 16 and will remove transparency is there a certian back ground that I should use???:eek:

sorry about not being able to stay on chat ... I think the weather (?) is playing with the phone lines reception :cry:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
You might not need to redo the x64s, but try to re-size and save a copy at x16 to get an idea of how an x64 will look in-game as an icon. The x16s above now look great still :)

Items like swords and hammers will likely look good with a transparent background. Images with a lot of separated components with a transparent background (like mini or walk-to) might run into trouble, but hard to say without seeing them in-game. They look great on a white background here, but the white might clash in-game on an otherwise brown toolbar :)

In short: We just need to get you back to being able to run from source and checking that sort of stuff out as it always depends :D

Mike Kienenberger

Contributor
Architecture
GUI
TextureUtil.getTextureUriForColor will generate a solid color 16x16 texture.
If we add another method like TextureUtil.getTextureUriCombining(Texture one, Texture two) we might be able to custom color transparent textures with backgrounds without having to constantly create them. I guess the trick would be registering them as assets with unique names. Maybe "combined.texture1.texture2" as an asset name.

Would this do Mike ???

View attachment 1344 it is a hammer
View attachment 1345 it is a Spear
View attachment 1346 this one is for Path finding Spawn minion

View attachment 1347 this is Miniaturzer
View attachment 1339 this is the maze module
View attachment 1348 this would be the move to
View attachment 1349 this is build a block
View attachment 1350 this is remove a block

Ok ..... all icons are now 16x16 and have white backgrounds :coffee:
These are great! Thanks!

Can you merge them into a single image grid like the existing ones that Skaldarnar gave? Although I guess we probably are going to need to separate them by module.

Also, it occurs to me that the Minion system as it currently works needs a "card" for each kind of minion we can create. Right now, we create oreon builders, guards, and kings, so a card image for each of those would be good.

metouto

Contributor
Art
Can you merge them into a single image grid like the existing ones that Skaldarnar gave?

I have never done that before ... but if Skaldarnar could tell me what he did ... maybe I could try to get it done ;)

Also, it occurs to me that the Minion system as it currently works needs a "card" for each kind of minion we can create. Right now, we create oreon builders, guards, and kings, so a card image for each of those would be good.
Mike could you explain what you mean by "card" a little more so I know what you are wanting please;) to me a card would/could be an icon or something you play poker with or maybe what you get in the mail on your birthday :whistle:

Mike Kienenberger

Contributor
Architecture
GUI
For the minion module, it's apparently more like something you play poker with :)

It's a rounded rectangular icon with a picture of the minion you want to summon on it.

The existing ones are here:

https://github.com/Terasology/Miniion/blob/master/assets/textures/minionicon16.png

It's the orange card with the skull on it four rows down, first column. That "card" is currently used for all minions rather than having individual ones.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I have never done that before ... but if Skaldarnar could tell me what he did ... maybe I could try to get it done ;)
Sure, but actually its not much magic happening there :D

I did all my work on different layers, and when finished I just created a blank image (e.g. 128x128 for 8*8=64 icons) and copied each icon over to the bigger one, aligning them by hand in a grid (drag and drop kind of). There are several useful techniques to make the process easier, maybe even some automated ones. Here're just two I used before:
  • Create a chess pattern for the background, each square 16x16. Use light colors, maybe just light gray and white. You can reuse this pattern whenever you do this again, I just a visual help. Place your new icons in layers above this background, and when saving hide the background chess pattern.
  • Gimp/PS allow you to define some kind of snap lines or grids. You can use them as well, but personally I prefer the chess pattern approach ;)

metouto

Contributor
Art
So you are looking for cards to be made for the bottom 2 images on the right ??? The 1st of the two bottom images looks as he might be the "kings" and the one below that looks to be a "guards" ... am I right on that Mike???

Is the card that is already made on the left the card for the "builders"

sorry ...guess this new for me and I am a little slow :coffee:

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
It's the orange card with the skull on it four rows down, first column. That "card" is currently used for all minions rather than having individual ones.
I would suggest you try out several versions, maybe
(1) change the background color of the card (the one on the left side) for different oreo types or​
(2) use iconic items on the cards, e.g. the builders hat, a shield or a hammer, ...​

Looking forward to more of your great work :) And you're not slow, its just easier to say "We want a nice new icon for this and that" without giving exact instructions :p

metouto

Contributor
Art
Ok .... I think I have it now .... give me a day or so because I have to go back to work today and that will limit my production :coffee:

EDITED .... Skaldarnar this is way above what I have done in the past that I am not sure how to continue :confused: I know this (I think) ....
1) I need the card which is 2 boxes of 16x16 images put together to make one card.
2) what you are asking me to do is make a card with the images I made in post #6 inserted into the bottom of the card section.
3) to do this I will have to combine 2 images ..... a) card image b) image from post #6 ... into one new image.

Question .... do you have any links to anything that would show me how to get the above thing done (if the above 3 things are correct). I would guess that this involves "layering" / "Masking" / "transparencies" ...... Sorry .... this reminds me of Star Trek .... going where you have never been before :coffee:

Mike Kienenberger

Contributor
Architecture
GUI
So you are looking for cards to be made for the bottom 2 images on the right ??? The 1st of the two bottom images looks as he might be the "kings" and the one below that looks to be a "guards" ... am I right on that Mike???

Is the card that is already made on the left the card for the "builders"
I'm not sure which one you are referring to.

Let's clear up some terminology to make sure we are all talking about the same thing.

card -- this is what the author of the minions module calls the orange icon with a head on it. Page might have made more sense as they come out of books.

texture altas -- this is what you are seeing in the urls above and below. It is a collection of images stored in one big image.

So we'd like the final format to be a texture atlas. It'd be great if you could take the existing minions texture atlas from here:

https://github.com/Terasology/Miniion/blob/master/assets/textures/minionicon16.png

and add new images for a builder card (or page), guard card, and king card. Maybe a picture of the minion. Maybe a picture of a hammer, spear, or crown.