WIP [Icons] Weapons (64x64)

metouto

Contributor
Art
Starting to make weapons for terasology ....
WeaponAxe.png weapon axe

Unless someone knows why I should not I will be making them with transparent background and at the size of 64x64. Now, feel free to put your two cents in here if you think they are to big or if you think they need reworked for some reason. :coffee:

Esereja

Contributor
axe looks nice and "every" image is scalable. tough result is not necesary best if scaled.

metouto

Contributor
Art
not sure Esereja what you mean by "..... image is scalable. tough result is not necesary best if scaled." .... could you explain a little more for me .... Thanks :coffee:

Esereja

Contributor
sry for being so confusing. I meant that you can scale images to be bigger or smaller, but result of scaling isn't as good as if image was orginaly made for resolution that was needed.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
In other words making an axe at 64x64 and relying on the game to shrink it to 32x32 if needed is not as reliable as making both a 64x64 as well as a 32x32 :)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
First: I've updated the thread title to use a prefix and labeled it with [Icons], renamed it to show the icons size... maybe somewhat random naming convention, but we have to start somewhere :p

Second: Here are some suggestions for weapons I found on one of my TODO lists. Possible use is in Wood and Stone later on (or any other module that uses somewhat crude combat methods).
  • wooden spear - a crude spear with a pointy end
  • stone spear - improved spear with sharp stone tip
  • wooden arrow/simple arrow - simple/crude wooden arrow, not too elaborated
  • stone arrow/crude arrow - crude arrows, not too fancy as well. Maybe two versions, like the two spear versions
  • wooden club - maybe the most primitve weapon you can think of after a simple stone
  • stone sling - probably the first weapon used for distance combat?
As you may have noticed, all these are dated to stone age (roughly). Other weapon proposals are the well-known candidates, manufactured from different materials (copper, bronze, iron, steel, ...):
  • Sword
  • Axe
  • Hammer
  • Bow
  • Crossbow

metouto

Contributor
Art
Of the above items .... how many have been done? What size do they need to be made at? Can They be made in Gimp and still be good enough for terasology use? What different materials do they need to be made out of (wooden; stone; copper; bronze; iron; and steel are mentioned )? :coffee:

Forgive my lack of knowledge I have been away for a year or more and don't know what have been done:notworthy:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Well, we made a shovel. That's about it. Yep, been a productive year without you! :D

Throughout the Ages has a hammer / hammer-axe thing. But it probably doesn't hurt to have a few options.

Edit: Oh, materials @Josharias might be able to address, he's doing some magic to make the same thing in different substances. I think Gimp and 64x64 is fine, we can shrink down fairly easily if needed.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hi @metouto - welcome back!

Gimp is perfectly fine for this kind of pixel art - you could even use MS Paint, although Gimp or PS make things a lot easier. From the items above, probably none was addressed yet (since we still don't have working combat :().

I did a bunch of item icons for TtA which you can find in the WaS repo and the CaB repo. You can take some inspiration from theme - and probably you should take color samples to match the tones for the specific materials (if you want to go in a similar artistic direction).

Sometimes you can even do pixel art from photos (if you find a good one, though ;))

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
I would also mention that having the tip of the weapon in the top right corner (as apposed to the top-left like the war-axe) works better when holding the item in first person view.

Also, layering and re-tinting icons from various parts is easy now with ItemRendering's (a module) tint overlay system. (right. I should put some documentation in the readme about that sometime soon)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I would also mention that having the tip of the weapon in the top right corner (as apposed to the top-left like the war-axe) works better when holding the item in first person view.

Also, layering and re-tinting icons from various parts is easy now with ItemRendering's (a module) tint overlay system. (right. I should put some documentation in the readme about that sometime soon)
Does that allow for dirt and blood stains, magic effects, rust, ... :omg: I'm a bit excited right now, so many possibilities :pinkiehappy:

metouto

Contributor
Art
@Skaldarnar, @Josharias, @Cervator .... it will be a while (a few days) before I get set up to doing some work but would it step on anyone's toes if I were to try my hand at the things talked about in #7 post by Skaldarnar ?

Or

If someone has a different "artsy" thing they would like me to try my hand at to help others out I would be most happy to try & help them.

Just remember ..... I was a ...... "try the best I could"...... when I was here last; but I tried almost anything that people thought I could for them. I have not done anything in a long time so "basic" and "easy" might be inline to start off with.

I will leave it up to you all to see where I would fit in best :coffee:

metouto

Contributor
Art

Thanks for the above tips Josharias ..... I would have never thought about how to angle a weapon as to how it would look in first person view ;)

Let me also know when you get to the documentation thing because I am sure that would be a help to me also :thumbsup:

metouto

Contributor
Art
WOW Josharias ...... that was way above my ability to understand :speechless: but don't give up on me :unsure: Did I say I know nothing about coding :eek: