Archived leaving the art lead

glasz

Contributor
Art
I thought i'd rather say it here and now so it doesnt get in the way of the upcoming art meeting : i'm leaving the art lead and wont stay much involved in the project. I'll continue to lurk on the chat and check the forum and maybe participate from time to time, mostly because i like people here.

I accepted the art lead in the first place so as to try to help move forward a project that i found interesting. But i prefer inventing creatures and bring them to "life" rather than managing people and organizing stuff. This leads to the reason why i wont stay in volved : my interest in game design comes from a frustration with the lack of imagination, inventivity, originality of the game industry. I hoped terasology could be the project to allow such creativity. It seems to me it wont be. I tried to push for something a little original with the mystical goblins (not saying they were the greatest idea ever, just to give an example), wich were already a big compromise for me, because frankly i'm bored to death with heroic fantasy. I was hoping we could reach some kind of compromise like that where a little room for originality would remains. But what i'm seeing is a game universe going more and more toward things i'm not at all excited about, and i really dont see how i can have fun in that kind of setting. I might be wrong of course, but i figured it's more reasonnable for me to focus on my own, less ambitious, project, where at least i feel i can really express myself.

Perdemot

Contributor
Art
World
if there would be a sad tag I would mark my self as sad now :(
But I understand your feelings. I would also prefer an original approach for the creatures etc. but I still see a way to accomplish an game filled with original art content.

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
I'm really sorry to hear that ... if any of it has to do with my recent "Lore" posts I just want you to know these are all just ideas; nothing is set in stone and I, for one, am very open to other things. Part of the reason I created the timeline and set us on another planet in space was to open up flexibility in terms of the indigenous creatures and possibilities for bizzare new life forms.

If we stick with the Untrue Tao theme I was thinking slightly recognizable faction types might be fun for players to get a handle on ... but again ... I'm certainly open to whatever.

For Terasology in general I think whatever game type we ultimately go with, the world itself should be open to all kinds of exciting module possibilities that could really be whatever anyone dreams up.

I certainly understand the challenges of rounding up vast differences in creative vision. I hope you stick around and contribute when you can. I've really enjoyed the creations you've shared thus far.

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Hey glasz, sorry to hear that, but I know what you mean. I think part of the reason I haven't been more involved is my lack of enthusiasm in where this is headed... I'm not giving up though, just rather busy also. :) Hope you do just kind of stick around and don't completely abandon this project.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
glasz - I'm sorry to hear, but can absolutely understand. Leadership type roles aren't necessarily kind on time or motivation - I'd know, I can't remember the last time I actually sat down with time to code :)

I do hope you'll still remain involved and focus on simply doing more great artwork just the way you like it. We can't take this project wherever artistic excitement flourishes without feedback on what's good and bad, and I still don't count myself a good judge of that.