losing blocks

metouto

Contributor
Art
Ok ... I have been building and have found if you have cut out a block and are stand so that the block can not come to you but it does drop into the hole made ... then if said block is in the hole when that hole is filled then that block does not pop out and it gone .... is that the way you want it to be ???

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I'm sort of OK with that gameplay-wise, tho I wonder if the mini-blocks time out or just stick around and wobble in place being stuck like that. If they don't time out I wonder if that could relate to the crash situation - build up enough of those little buggers, being that they're physics enabled...

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Yep! Definitely leads to problems when the player leaves the area where the physics enabled blocks are around. At least the way I've implemented the prototype. This could be easily solved by not simulating blocks which are not in a certain range around the player. Despawning might not be the best idea if we're going to implement the dropping of items using this system.

Might lead to sad players complaining about losing all their precious loot and inventory content. :(

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
:D

I'll be content with this approach for a long time, maybe with the despawning added for range, since it won't really matter till we add some sort of limit to the player's inventory :)

For now I'm dealing with losing blocks in a different fashion - as sectors off a hard drive I need to somehow recover, sigh ;)

(Not mine, luckily, but argh!)