Suggested Maze World Gameplay

smsunarto

Federal Gooey of Investigation
Art
Logistics
Why Maze World Gameplay?
The reason is very simple. A gameplay where player's action is somewhat limited, is easier to develop. But wait, limited is not always = boring.

What maze world is trying to do is create an isolated world, where we remove the 'sandbox' type of play, and create a gameplay similar to those in RPG Games. This is what Dungeon Realms (A Minecraft server) has attempted to do and they have done it pretty successfully.

Another reason is the amount of equipments, food, and potions that we got from Google Code-In.

This gameplay can easily implement those new items into the game because we could always need more items. Since RPG type of gameplay actually requires for this wide variety of item and equipments.

Last but not least, by having a solid gameplay for Terasology in this early stage of development, can attract more developers, players, and medias! We could use some more exposure :D

Why Maze?
Generating an infinite world with distinct feature while still maintaining the RPG aspect is a little bit tricky. We need to make sure there is always something that the player will meet (Ex: Dungeon, Villages, etc). RPG Games can do this easily, simply because they limit the world and does generate it infinitely.

Maze type of world will keep the player walking around searching for rooms, bosses, etc without them needing to climb mountains and aimlessly search for something to fight.

Putting that aside, it's still a good idea to have an open world infinite RPG world. If anyone have any idea how we can achieve this, feel free to express your opinion and we'll adapt the ideas to fit the open-world concept.

Last edited:

smsunarto

Art
Logistics
How will the player be playing this gameplay?

Player will be spawned in a room where they can choose their starting kit.

Available Starter Kit: (I could really use a better name)

1. Offense - A starter kit containing weaponry and light-armor. Also contains basic supplies.
  2. Defense - A starter kit with basic weaponry and strong-armor. Also contains basic supplies.
  3. Cargo - A starter kit with basic weaponry and light-armor. Got some combat & restorative potions and food.
Aside from the starting kit that they can choose, they will also get a book containing information and guides. We will call this the Maze Codex for now.

--

After choosing their kit, the player proceed to the maze entrance. Where they are greeted with a huge-door, and their journey officially began.

After that huge-door, they will be faced with an infinitely generated maze. Their goal? Obtain X amount of soul fragment (Amount is TBD) by killing mini-bosses. This soul fragment can be use to enter the final-boss room. (Which by the way, you need to find yourself). After killing the boss you officially win the game. Well that's easy!

Oh wait, have I mention it? You can't respawn unless you have a rare item called the "Revival Stone" (I'm so good at naming items, trust me). All your item will be gone.

While on their way, they can't destroy a single thing. They can only harvest bushes, loot from chests, get drops from monsters they kill. That's all.

Last edited:

J Young Kim

Contributor
Design
I believe that is will be an amazing module. I love the concept, and I am willing to give any ideas I can. But for now, here are my thoughts:

Repetition:
A big 'No' when it comes to game development is repetition. Repetition is often a problem in most RPGs, since to become more powerful, players 'farm' experience. This results in players (when not using some sort of automated bot) running around killing monsters to gain experience so that he or she has the full capabilities of defeating the boss. A good difficulty slider can mitigate this problem, but I suggest that we look into making sure that the game is not too repetitive, since this will be the weakness of this module.

Difficulty Slider:
A huge difficulty is the RPG element. The world generation will not be a problem (I think), but the generation of items and enemies will be a problem. We would not want first-time players to face very difficult enemies or have the first-time players finding some OP item so that leveling-up becomes unnecessary. We can do something with time, such as "By X minutes, the player should be ready to take on enemies that are much more difficult, and thus should be given better equipment in chests for future combats," or by level "If the player reaches level X, spawn better items and harder monsters."

Multiplayer when the Module has a Win-Condition:
Although this may be later into the development, an amazing multiplayer could arise from this module. Multiplayer would probably have two versions: 1) players can unite to survive and 'win' the maze or 2) the players can race to see who can defeat the boss first.

Multiplayer when the Module has no Win-Condition (When module is WAY into development):
I thought that this module would be cool if there were like factions within the mazes. Faction members will have their names colored representing the faction color. Instead of killing monsters, factions can raid each other, and a faction can be 'taken' if a core block is broken (core block should take a long time to break). In this version, killing monsters would provide great benefits for a faction, so that factions would want to kill the monsters. Thus, an in-game announcement of "Epic Monster Spawned @ (some location)" can be made to prompt factions to fight to get to the monster first. To make things fair, only one faction at a time can fight the monster in a room, meaning that other factions cannot interfere. During the duel however, factions must make sure that their base is not compromised.

This idea can be fun by implementing a system of jobs, either by a module or just verbally within the player community in-game. Some could be soldiers, some could be scouts, some could be resource-gatherers, and more.

These are all the ideas I have for now, but I will be sure to think of some more later! Anyways, I look forward to this module coming to life!

Florian

Contributor
Architecture
Gooey's quests goes very much into the direction of what you propose:
http://forum.terasology.org/threads/gooeys-quests.1461/

It is not a world generator but takes instead the approach to add dungeons and other structures (dwarf halls) to an existing world. To give the player control over this a character called gooey will ask you for permission before a dungeon or other structure gets added. Those dungeons could also theoretically become infinite large but since there is no size regulating component yet the dungeons have just a bigger chance to be smaller.

smsunarto

Art
Logistics
Gooey's quests goes very much into the direction of what you propose:
http://forum.terasology.org/threads/gooeys-quests.1461/

It is not a world generator but takes instead the approach to add dungeons and other structures (dwarf halls) to an existing world. To give the player control over this a character called gooey will ask you for permission before a dungeon or other structure gets added. Those dungeons could also theoretically become infinite large but since there is no size regulating component yet the dungeons have just a bigger chance to be smaller.
Thanks for the heads up @Florian. I've discussed this with Cerv, and yes he suggested using structure templates and/or Gooey's quest instead using cellular automaton algo for the maze world generation which will be wayyy tricky.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps