Archived Mining

Martin Møller

Hi,

New kid on the block here....

I'm just a bit curious if it's possible to mine minerals in the current build or if this feature still awaits implementation? At least it doesn't seem to work for me but I might need to enable the correct mod...

Cheers,
Martin

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
You can mine minerals, but minerals don't spawn in the world.

So effectively no.

Martin Møller

OK thanks for your reply:)

A project on my job might give me the chance of contributing a bit on this feature, or others (I suppose it's a planned feature:unsure:) . Can you give me a pointer where in the code to dive in? And maybe it has been discussed somewhere else in this forum, or elsewhere, and it would of course be cool to see such threads as well:)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I think there are two areas involved - 1) placing minerals at world creation and 2) give minerals more features/crafting recipes.
The placement is related to world creation and further steps. Basically minerals could be placed by a kind of generator (as we place trees or other "local features" - not that there are much of them anyways :D)
I would point to Nym Traveel for world creation, maybe he can give you a better hint.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
We had some limited mineral placement in the past, but it was effectively randomly distributed single blocks. To get a more realistic and neat approach we've discussed basing mineral distribution on plate tectonic stats carried over from the work Laurimann has done on his terrain map generator. That is sort of paused pending some renewed effort :)