Archived Multiple Pre Alpha Bugs

William

Okay, so i just recently got terasology, and it's a nice game, however i would like to point out some of the flaws this game has in the PRE ALPHA terasology X64 version.
The game is virtually unplayable due to false positive shader errors constantly popping up before the game finishes starting, on the main start menu, and in a map, the environment around me is 100% unchanged when these messages popup, the message repeats about 4-6 times in a row, and is pretty unmanageable in full screen, causing me to have to go to task manager to even find the error messages, also i noticed a major FPS drop in the game, IMPORTANT: 3D wizards out there, I do not know if i have java 'fully working' as it is downloaded with version 8 update 40, my system can't detect that java is installed and some other applications can't, my specs:
ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz
Video CardIntel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Memory8.1 GB
Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Professional Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

I will attach the log files.

Attachments

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
According to Terasoogy-init.log (thank you for providing it!) you have

LWJGL: 2.9.2 / windows
GL_VENDOR: Intel
GL_RENDERER: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
GL_VERSION: 3.3.0 - Build 8.15.10.2712
SHADING_LANGUAGE VERSION: 3.30 - Intel Build 8.15.10.2712

In terms of theoretical capabilities from an opengl/shaders perspective everything seems in order. I also do not see any obvious bug on Terasology's side as the same shader code is successfully compiled and used on other systems, i.e. GeForce or Radeon-based. However, as I sniffed around the internet in search for possible explanations, a number of findings seem to point to the HD Graphics 4000 and especially its drivers not being quite 100% compatible with opengl specifications. So, try making sure you have the latest graphics drivers from Intel, but if that doesn't work I'd be inclined to think it's a more fundamental problem with the Intel drivers still not supporting the whole set of features of the shading language version we use (1.20). If that's the case you might want to try Terasology on a system that has a different GPU or, if yours is a desktop computer, add a separate graphic card.

Can you then please let us know when you can confirm you have the latest drivers? Does that fix the problem or is it still there?

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hi @William,

I recall problems with the integrated Intel graphics, although I don't know if updating the driver fixed it in some cases. Please let us know if it works with the latest drivers or not. Regarding your Java installation, since the game starts up it seems to be in place, so you don't have to worry about that at least ;)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Here's a quick snippet from the log just for reference:

Code:
19:12:28.944 [main] WARN  o.t.rendering.opengl.GLSLShader - ERROR: 0:189: 'const void' : cannot declare arrays of this qualifier
ERROR: 0:189: 'const' :  non-matching types (using implicit conversion) for const initializer 
ERROR: 0:215: 'x' :  field selection requires structure, vector, or matrix on left hand side
ERROR: 0:216: 'y' :  field selection requires structure, vector, or matrix on left hand side

Line: Error prone line: 'const vec2[] waveDirections = vec2[]('
19:12:28.946 [main] ERROR o.t.rendering.opengl.GLSLShader - VERTEX Shader 'shader:engine:chunk' failed to compile. Terasology might not look quite as good as it should now...

ERROR: 0:189: 'const void' : cannot declare arrays of this qualifier
ERROR: 0:189: 'const' :  non-matching types (using implicit conversion) for const initializer 
ERROR: 0:215: 'x' :  field selection requires structure, vector, or matrix on left hand side
ERROR: 0:216: 'y' :  field selection requires structure, vector, or matrix on left hand side

Error prone line: 'const vec2[] waveDirections = vec2[]('
Two potential issues to look at:
  • The errors may indeed be false positives if the game looks perfectly normal. This has happened before, like with #1215 which didn't have a graphical impact, it was almost more like a Checkstyle warning for shaders. Maybe this video card just doesn't like one way to declare something and there's another way that still works but doesn't complain?
  • The shader popup errors might need some work to where only a single popup appears listing all the errors summed up rather than one popup per event. Additionally I'm not sure we've really seen how the popups work in fullscreen - if they appear "behind" the main game window that could be a bit of a pain. I submitted #1649 for that