my mind is a mule

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
completely out of topic,

I remember sitting in math classes one day and have our teacher explain us the concept of what was labeled in dutch the "mule's bridge".

In long past times when life was "simpler" people used mules as pack animals. A mule however is a very stubborn animal. It would refuse to walk obediently over a bridge. You had to pull and pull to get it to cross the bridge once, but once it crossed the bridge, it would learn that the bridge isn't a threat or dangerous, and simply cross it without resisting the next time it would pass the same bridge, until you got to the next bridge, where you had to start pulling again.

So a "mules bridge" was a short description for confronting your mind with a concept it couldn't understand, and in maths, understanding the concept is the base you need to actually solve any problems based on it and before you can start moving towards the next bridge.

I wonder if anyone else feels like their mind is a very stubborn mule to?

What's the longest time / thing you banged your head against before you moved over the bridge. I remember that for me it was solving differentials and integrals in maths, we had a very demanding but luckily also very motivating teacher who pushed us to explore just what complexity of them we could solve. Medium to high complexity was the norm for every test he made us do. He's also the teacher who spent half the time of his class explaining what wonderful machine his pc was, which is the prime reason why I bang my head against java these days. We had another great teacher who was a known pothead and didn't hide it, he's the reason I stopped solving differentials and Integrals and started chasing girls instead. Whoever said that I was never paying attention in class was dead wrong, I was always in attention, specially when they said something important, like "a kid like you should go out in the fields, chase girls into the hay!" i wish this was still an option heh :whistle:

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
whoa

heh this is something cool to see under my name, something I actually had given up on a long time ago. Design team. I like it. I can die peacefully some day, knowing we at least gave it a shot to achieve that title. Now I need a job, and fast, before people start impounding my pc, but labeled "IT coalmonkey", listening to the incessant whining of all the goodlooking women around him on daily bases. Och god, if you really do exist... nach scratch that!

"Women, can't live with them, THE END!!!
-All bundy-

metouto

Contributor
Art
Shall we call you "MR. Overdhose" now :cool: ??? JK ...... it does look nice ;)

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
I Only meant to cause you any sorrow.
I Only meant to cause you any pain.
I never wanted to one time see you reign.
I only wanted to see you working in the purple reign!!!

Purple reign Purple reign

I only wanted to see you bathing in the purple reign.

I never wanted to be your defeaten foe.
I only wanted to be some kind of monster pimp.
Froggy you could never steal my dream.
It's such a shame your reign has to end.

I only wanted to see you underneath the purple reign.

Froggy I know, I know, I know times are changing.
It's time we all reach out for something new,
That means you too.
You say you want a leader,
But you can't seem to make up your mind.
I think you better close it,
And let me guide you to the purple reign.

Purple reign purple reign

If you know what I'm singing about up here.
C'mon raise your hand.

I only want to see you, only want to see you.
-Manus Lenoni-

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
Shall we call you "MR. Overdhose" now :cool: ??? JK ...... it does look nice ;)
No I was just curious what bridges people would remember, but I'm curious now, what are you implying by your quote? I hate it when people call me MR, I'll smile amused when you adress me as "the old don".

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
What metouto is probably getting at is that with a little badge like that you must be fancy enough to be a mister, mister old don :D

And yeah, we all need jobs so we can supply our much more entertaining hobbies like this, and drawing terrible badges that I guess are still neat enough to be appreciated :3

This was just a test one, Metouto you're not escaping a badge either ;)

As to the topic (yep, we're great at staying on topic): That concept makes sense to me, but for some reason I can't really think of any situations like that personally. I'm pretty sure I've been through them, I certainly get stuck on stuff now and then, but either I wander off to work on something else while letting my mind unwind and suddenly it'll be easy next time I get back to it, or I solve something and rush off to the next bridge so fast I don't spend much thought on the one I just crossed.

metouto

Contributor
Art
Kindest Old Don (of all),;)

I was just trying to say we should respect you more now because you have a "nice title" :)

and if Cervator gives me a title, old don, you can just refer to me a "the old one" :rofl:

(sorry about the topic drift ..... :sleep:)

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
nach np I shouldn't have posted it there in the first place, but I was just so amused by it i didn't think it through :p

What amuzes me most is the avatar I keep chosing, it's the kid from a PS2 commercial who reminded me of myself so much I keep using it. Seeing his face and the title Design Team under it is an amusing combination.