Request Need a list of desired SFX!

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Posting this in Art since it is about getting some assets :)

Met a nice @NeonInsect fellow offering to contribute some soundtrack pieces to Destination Sol. He's also got a bunch of SFX he has made over time for different reasons and might be able to send some our way.

I don't know exact which he has, if he's willing to make new ones, etc, but we need to first of all come up with a list of what we want. I think @Chrisk was in a similar situation in the past. Easier to work off a list than a blank sheet of paper.

So - what do we need?
  • More footsteps for sure. I think we only have some grass-like sounding footsteps, and the squishy noises for Gooey. Do we have any other? Solid ground footsteps? Rock footsteps? Ice? Crunchy leaves? Etc
  • Digging/picking noises. Shovel vs different block types, pickaxe vs different block types, and so on
  • MOAR EXPLOSIONS! Can never have enough explosions. Especially since at least one of the current explosion SFX we have sounds more like a car crash
  • Impact noises from weapons on different materials? Bow and arrow?
What else? Machiney sounds? Wild West shootouts? More squishies for Gooey?

Trekmarvel

Contributor
Art
Ambient noises for different biomes, for example:
  • Forest: noise of the leaves on the trees blowing in the wind, birds and other animals sounds that change going from day to night.
  • Cave: disturbing/mysterious noises.
What are the audio formats supported by the game?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Currently everything is in .ogg. I'm not actually sure if we support (or would want to support?) other formats. Thanks for adding to the list :)

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Things that could use a refresh (I intend no offence to any of the existing sounds):
  • the grass sounds (they sound more like foot on gravel, not foot on soft vegetation)
  • landing sound
  • entering/exiting water
  • General cleanup of the existing sounds (normalizing volume, removing background noise, etc)
New things:
  • Block damage and stepping sounds for (maybe variants for each?):
    • Plant (leaves, vegetation, etc)
    • Soil (dirt, sand, etc)
    • Gravel
    • Stone
    • Wood
    • Metal (not in Core, but I would use it)
    • Glass

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Here's a first shipment from NeonInsect :)

Includes a set of dirt footprints, sand footprints, and some ambient wind rustling at trees. Can't seem to upload the last one though as it is near 10 MB and the forum is giving me trouble.

Brings up an interesting point - where do we actually put all this stuff? It seems like it might fit into Core, but not while that's still in the engine repo (potentially large files, like music). A "BaseAudio" module of some sort that's part of Iota and holds the very basic SFX you'd expect to need handy?

Attachments

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
At least the ambient sounds seem like an 'extra' - so we might just make them optional like the @Chrisk soundtrack. Another idea is to have the high quality tracks available but include only low quality audio in the game shipment - kind of like the option to upgrade to hi-res texture and the like.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Attachments

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
The extra module should be something like "xxxPack" to match PlantPack, right?
  • AudioPack
  • SoundPack
  • BaseAudioPack
  • CoreAudioPack
Any of those?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Something like that, yeah.

Should we separate them out based on only having the very basic "unequipped player" sounds in a BaseAudioPack or so (PlayerAudioPack?), such as footsteps, entering water, some basic / generic ambiance, but then leave equipment-dependent sounds with the appropriate equipment module? So for instance block breaking sounds involving tools (pickaxe, shovel, axe, but not fists) would go with a BaseToolPack module?

Thinking about extensions here. If a tool module sets the basic expectations (what different materials to impact against? What materials to impact with?) then a fancy tool module using mithril or featherwood could extend it and add more specific sounds. An armor module might add the footstep sounds for an iron-clad foot, and a horse module footstep sounds for hooves. Maybe wind rustling through trees should even be in a basic Tree module, since those need to get pulled out of Core eventually too, I imagine. So maybe just footsteps, fists punching stuff, simple interactions with water? Even basic wind (and rain) could be with the WeatherManager or so..

That may be too specific though. Trying to come up with possible conventions as otherwise what's in a "base" pack becomes very vague.