Never Before Seen Blocks for Terasology

metouto

Contributor
Art
Sense my other blocks have been sent to GirtHub I though I better get to work on some more so I would not forget how to do them ..... (you know how things get scrambled up in your mind when your old like me :laugh: ) ...

Anyway, if you go mining in this game world of Terasology the first thing you might find worth holding on to is Gold ... so be sure you know what it looks like ....

Attachments

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Is the one in the back supposed to be "Native Gold" then, or some other mineral? It looks like a full solid block of gold, not so much a mineral :)

The fool's gold is more minerally, but could use a little more diversity I think? Maybe more contrast, center of the deposits a bit more shiny / goldeny / darkish, background more varied? Just a little, easy to get too much contrast, but at a glance this one only seems to have two plain shades of yellow :)

Also brings up an interesting point as pyrite is a gem in DF, rather than a mineral. But it does sound like it is more of a mineral than a gem/crystal.

metouto

Contributor
Art
Good ... Love feed back ;)

Is the one in the back supposed to be "Native Gold" then, or some other mineral? It looks like a full solid block of gold, not so much a mineral
Yes, Native Gold, and in that case needs to be redone so it more mineral and less solid ;)

The fool's gold is more minerally, but could use a little more diversity I think? Maybe more contrast, center of the deposits a bit more shiny / goldeny / darkish, background more varied? Just a little, easy to get too much contrast, but at a glance this one only seems to have two plain shades of yellow
hmmmmm .... yes that is doable ;)

Also brings up an interesting point as pyrite is a gem in DF, rather than a mineral. But it does sound like it is more of a mineral than a gem/crystal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrite ......The mineral pyrite ..... Despite being nicknamed fool's gold, pyrite is sometimes found in association with small quantities of gold.

metouto

Contributor
Art
One more look before I call it a night .....

......Black sand is sand that is black in color ( :shock: ). This sand is a heavy, partly magnetic mixture of usually fine sands, found as part of a placer deposit (a placer deposit is an accumulation of valuable minerals formed by gravity separation during sedimentary processes :? ). This type of black sand is found* on beaches near a volcano and consists of tiny fragments of lava.

* of course when you go looking for lava flowing into the water, on an island, with sand
in the picture ... can you find it .... no .... so you all get a picture of black sand on a
Island mins the volcano & lava ... :(

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Nifty! Cool to see a new flower :)

metouto

Contributor
Art
Cervator, I know that I still need to fix the Native Gold and The fool's gold block but besides that did we talk about anything else that I needed to do ???? Or was I to just keep working on DF's list by trying to remake there list into 3d blocks :)

Also, should we keep the Tulip frower and the black sand ???

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I'd say just keep working any interesting blocks you can figure out from DF, Wikipedia, the mineral sites, etc :)

I like both black sand and the flower, sure, keep!

metouto

Contributor
Art
The two blocks below are new arrivals here at Terasology .....

the one to the left is Chert ....Chert is a sedimentary rock that may be broken to form very sharp edges. From these flints can be dropped.

The one on the right is Gabbro .... Gabbro is one of the types of stone that forms entire layers. (Gabbro may need some smoothing out :( )

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Funny, here I thought Gabbo looked great, but Chert could use a little "breaking up" :D

(good stuff!)

metouto

Contributor
Art
OK .... was not sure how to proceed here ..... Sand Stone has many colors and is a popular building material from ancient times; is widely used, because of its highly strong characteristic, in flooring, walls, pillars, paving .....

.... but did not know if I should make 3 different color or not. Also, maybe the block should be a little more grainy because it is sand ???

Like dolomite and chalk, limestone is a flux stone which forms entire sedimentary layers. In general, limestone layers tend to yield more ores and gems per volume mined than those of other stones, which makes them a prime candidate for exploratory mining.

Marble is the only metamorphic flux stone; is commonly used for building material; and is very valuable because it also frequently contains a wide variety of gems.

there is my latest set of blocks .... any and all feedback is welcome and enjoyed :)

Attachments

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Very nice looking blocks – good work Metouto. We'll soon need to rent some new space to store all those blocks! :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah, so many blocks, I love it! Limestone and Marble look great, the sandstone conundrum does indeed seem tricky. While there appears to be a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sandstones that's named more after RL geography rather than geological type as I had hoped. So maybe we would want to just have several different types named by color.

I'd probably suggest that, and yeah, maybe a little more grainy or with some subtle banding :)

In particular if we make the raw blocks look a little more grainy/banded we could later have the option to let the player refine the blocks into more homogenous sandstone bricks, which takes out some of the natural imperfections.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Maybe do clay? I imagine it is just a matter of picking a decent colour, don't think there is much texture to it.

metouto

Contributor
Art
begla said:
Very nice looking blocks – good work Metouto. We'll soon need to rent some new space to store all those blocks! :D
Thank You begla ... that is a real boost to my creative want-to-be ego :D (Where should I send the money for the new block storage space rent ;) )

Cervator said:
Yeah, so many blocks, I love it! Limestone and Marble look great, ..... maybe we would want to just have several different types named by color. I'd probably suggest that, and yeah, maybe a little more grainy or with some subtle banding :)

In particular if we make the raw blocks look a little more grainy/banded we could later have the option to let the player refine the blocks into more homogenous sandstone bricks, which takes out some of the natural imperfections.

Thanks for the input Cervator :) .... if I understand what you are saying is ..... keep the 3 sand stones (red, orange, yellow), named by color, and add more graininess and/or a slight banding ;) .... right?

..... later have the option to let the player refine the blocks into more homogenous sandstone bricks, which takes out some of the natural imperfections .... love this idea :D

Immortius said:
Maybe do clay? I imagine it is just a matter of picking a decent colour, don't think there is much texture to it.
Thank you Immortius :cool: ... I had put clay on my list then had forgotten it :oops: I am happy you reminded me ... it will be in the very next set of blocks :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yep, that's exactly what I meant :)

woodspeople

Contributor
Design
What I like about these is that the colors are evocative yet harmonious. They speak volumes without shouting, and the entire set holds together. I can imagine coming upon these while digging/exploring and saying "wow"!

metouto

Contributor
Art
And from my most humbleness :oops: woodspeople ... I say to you WOW :shock: :eek: that is some compliment ... I would only hope my block creations could live up to that :D thank you :D

metouto

Contributor
Art
When I remake something it is remade :eek:

from right to left in the picture are blocks of .... NativeGoldOre ....YellowSandStone .... RedSandStone ..... OrangeSandStone and IronPyrites (fool's gold)

With the sand stone I have tried to change color slightly and make faint banding .... you be the judge or if it looks right or not ...I am not embarrassed at all if it is not right and has to be redone a third time .... it is better to do it now that when the pressure to have a polished game is a day or two away :)

With the Native gold ore and the Iron Pyrites (fool's gold) ... it is a whole new make over

the above picture has 2 blocks

the one on the right is ClayStone ..... a geological term used to describe a clastic sedimentary rock (not to be confused with clay soil). Claystones are distinct from mudstones, which are partly hardened muds that slake when wetted; claystone is fully hardened material.

the one on the left is a remake of Chert from a few post above ;)

I would like your input and how they look ... good/bad/ugly (to copy an old western movie idea) keepers / non-keepers .... what does your eyes see that mine do not .... :)

Attachments