Newbie with Questions

HeadClot

Hey all,

I am new to the Terasology forums - I am currently working on a pet project in my spare time and I going to be moving it over to the terasology code base. Basically a minecraft-esque shooter.

Now as far as I have read the Source code for terasology is open source.

What is the license for the terasology source code?

and

Can I make a game with it?
If so what would be the limitations? (License wise)

Thank you for your time

Ben

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Welcome! Always good to have another person around who tinkers with projects like this.

We're currently using the Apache 2.0 license, which I believe is pretty open, tho there are people more knowledgeable about that than me around here :)

I'd say tinker with the code and see how you like it, and soon enough you could probably just make a mod / game mode for what you want without having to make (and maintain) a separate project with the code. A few people have done that in the past, tinker for a while, but then go inactive trying to do it solo. Having a group helps with motivation, and contributing to the same project moves us all forward faster :D

HeadClot

Hey, Cervator, Thanks for the reply :)

A few more questions and I will be set to go :)

Are you guys looking for any more 3D artists?
I would be happy to contribute an large amount of animals / characters for the project. I would just need to know the art style that you are aiming for.

Give me a list and I will started.

Just figured if I would be using terasology's code that I might as well give back.

EDIT1: Completely forgot to post this

I am upgrading my computer very soon - Is terasology more CPU dependent or GPU Dependent?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I think we're CPU bound and video memory bound more than anything. But I might be wrong. Anything new is going to be fine :)

Yeah, more art would be great - a new thread for animal requests just popped up too!

As for the style, there's a whole thread for discussing that, and more examples in the art forum as whole - just read up for a while and you'll get the rough idea. It isn't super firm yet since we only have a few models / bits of concept art.

Submit a few pieces of concept art or models and I'll throw an artist tag your way :D