Potential project rename - feedback requested!

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
So we're getting more contributors and it is becoming clearer than ever that we've got something here. Begla's tech demo is growing up :D

We talked about the name "Blockmania" briefly and there isn't a solid attachment to it. It is a fine name for a tech demo, it gets the meaning across, but has a few issues for something bigger:

* Domain is taken (occasional other resources may also be)
* Lots of hits on Google, including a Judge Dredd story called Block Mania - as in, urban block warfare: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_Mania - yeah ;)
* Other games exist with the same name (usually tiny puzzle games or one board game based on said Judge Dredd setting)
* Name is sort of generic and doesn't really say much about the game other than that it has blocks in it (sounds likely, anyway!)

We're still fairly early in development and it would be possible to do a full rename without too much pain or effort (well, compared to a mature project, anyway). So opening up for feedback and suggestions if anybody so far have an opinion on the existing name or a potential new one :)

Thanks to Stuthulhu we did chance into one potential name during misc discussion one day, which I've latched on to like a hungry hyena to an unusually tasty gazelle kill :D

One major element of our game design revolves around creatures / minions and their interaction with each other, the player, and the world. As such arrived "Terasology" - "teras" from latin "monster"and "logia" from latin "study" - a hack on "Anthropology", but for monsters/creatures. This suggestion (and any others we would consider) fits the following criteria:

* Domain name and other resources are available
* Term is fairly unique - 134 hits on Google, none seem to relate in any way we'd be concerned about
* No other games or "IP" seem to exist
* Name says something about the wider game

To me it also just looks neat. It might be a little close to Terraria, but I'd like to think the tera vs terra would pronounce differently (not that everybody would necessarily try to pronounce it differently). Akin to Terraria it is also very unique compared to other similar games in the Minecraft-genre. Distinction is good! We don't want to remake Minecraft after all - this isn't open source so people can play Minecraft without paying. If you want to play Minecraft, pay for and play Minecraft :)

So - opening up the floor. Not expecting a lot of feedback since we're still staying low-key with few people following so far, but I wanted to announce the possibility anyway (will also link from other sources)! If no other suggestions are made or any objections raised against "Terasology" within a few days I say we tentatively declare that the direction and start prepping for it.

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Love the name! Might be a bit of a hassle to get the renaming done (thinking of our YouTube account which is afaik not even possible)... but. Absolutely worth the effort. :!:

bINAry_giRL

ya, i agree i think that Terasology is a decent name.. maybe a little awkward for people to type or pronounce hehe ( not me , just thinking of lowest common denominator ;p )

:)

Intertera ?! (latin - interaction/monster ) - sounds more like infiniminer and terror or to enter landscape...
Creatura ?! (latin - creature ) - create, procreate, bring to bear, bring about, etc (create as in world aswell)

i quiet like creatura actually ..tis simple with out knowing latin u can tell what its about.. im sure there are alot of hits for it..hang on il check...

ahh i dont know ;p

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I like Creatura too, but yeah, lots of hits and domains etc taken :(

And yeah, some accounts/pages (Twitter and FB too) we'd need to just leave pointers to new places and hope everybody comes along.

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
I thought Bloxel would be cool. Something leveraging the unique sound of "Voxel". But it looks like there's another project similar to Minecraft and Blockmania already underway with that name!

Voxland?

I think maybe once we have a better idea of what the game is about ... it's essence ... naming it will be easier. Is it really a Dungeon Keeper style game? "Vexel Herder" ;)Is it an open world Mine Craft, resource grabber? "Voxel Hoarder" Is it castle/tower defense? "Boxel Breaker"

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Bloxel already exists, yeah, along with a multitude of takes on "Voxel", alas :geek:

And yeah, the goal is heavy creature focus, set in a Minecraft-like world. With creatures providing a substantial backbone of resource gathering, construction, defense, etc, as well as requiring assorted needs to keep going :)

Still plenty of building, but something more to it. In MC you purely build for your own leisure after you've got enough shelter to survive the night. With just a touch of transportation and utility like monster grinders.

bINAry_giRL

i keep getting the feeling anything with 'oxel' or 'land' in the name would be bad for it ..its almost like it instantly becomes a throw away clone etc.. but thats just the initial feeling i get from those types with so many others having cropped up with those sort of names etc.. again thats just my opinion tho :)

Flumentz

I think i know one good word which could be a name for this game. That word was in use in the Greco-Roman world to refer to the inhabited universe (or at least the known part of it). And the word is Ecumene.
Also i have a lot of ideas about genre and ingame features. Write me if you interested.

metouto

Contributor
Art
POTENTIAL PROJECT RENAME # 1 .... Nineveh

Nineveh is first mentioned in Genesis 10:11: "Ashur left that land, and built Nineveh"

1) Nineveh ....the name of this land

2) Ashur ... could be the name of the character you play in the game

3) Left the land .... could give a back story that Ashur left a land that is different than this to come to a new land or maybe he was outcast to this land because of something he did/did not do in another world and has to start in this world anew until he can again prove himself.

POTENTIAL PROJECT RENAME # 2 ... Eden

Eden is in the book of Genesis as being the place where the first man, Adam, lived after he was created. The origin of the Hebrew עדן, translates to "delight".

1) Eden ..... name of land

2) Adam .... a back story that Adam has to start in this world anew until he can again prove himself worthy to move on to other places.

3) Delight ... what a story ... being the first person on another world and exploring it ... finding new foods, new creatures, new weather conditions and new animal life ( some nice to you some not) each day something new and delightful.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks for the further suggestions, they're appreciated and I can see the effort that went into thinking them up - but they don't get past the uniqueness / domain availability requirements, alas :(

* Domain name and other resources are available
* Term is fairly unique
* No other games or "IP" seem to exist

* Name says something about the wider game
We're pretty much either looking for something completely made up, or something so obscure it isn't widely in use.

metouto

Contributor
Art
Ok ..... more thinking ..... back to drawing board with new standards to go by .... :oops:

Flumentz

Never saw something like "Ecumene The Game"...
Anyway no need to make a site like: "name of the game.com", it could look like "name of the crew.com" and there it would be a link to projects.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Flumentz said:
Never saw something like "Ecumene The Game"...
Anyway no need to make a site like: "name of the game.com", it could look like "name of the crew.com" and there it would be a link to projects.
Ecumene is my 2nd favorite name so far, I'll acknowledge that for sure - I like the sound of it and its meaning :)

Yeah, we wouldn't necessarily be tied to ecumene.com, that's a negative but not a total blocker for consideration. However, there are nearly 200k other hits on Google for all kinds of stuff, including site accounts, usernames, project names, documentary type stuff, etc etc etc. I don't see a game on the first few pages of Google. Again, the activity of the term is just a negative, not a total blocker.

I'd seriously consider it a lead candidate if it wasn't up against a name that doesn't seem to have any negatives :)

(Fun observation: the third hit for "Terasology" on Google is now this thread, heh)

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Adeon said:
(facepalm) - blockmania.ru =)
Oh no! :(

I've just finished renaming everything related to the project to Terasology. It is incredible how fast Google is keeping up with our blog and project related sites. If anyone spots something I've forgot to rename. Let me now!

Skarath

This might be a nice name for the game
TeraTalus
Talus caves are the openings between rocks that have fallen down into a pile,
often at the bases of cliffs(called "talus").

terasology sound more like a science study or a school project be honest
greetings skarath

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Skarath said:
This might be a nice name for the game
TeraTalus
Talus caves are the openings between rocks that have fallen down into a pile,
often at the bases of cliffs(called "talus").

terasology sound more like a science study or a school project be honest
greetings skarath
In a way of speaking it sort of is - sandboxy, sociology with creatures, technological advancement, etc :)

Talus is a neat term, didn't know that one previously.

Skarath

well my ideas is that it should be easily said by people something easy and catchy like wow or minecraft or sims ect
terasology is a bit of a tong twister and people would not know its a game and skip it on google
this will prevent potential income if the game will be soled
teratalus stil the best option it think XD
greetings Skarath

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Just to put a final word in this thread, not that it hasn't been apparent elsewhere for a while - we're officially going with "Terasology" as expected, but I do want to express gratitude and appreciation for the suggestions as I honestly hadn't expected any serious contenders, but wanted to put up the post anyway just in case something brilliant I had missed came up :)

So thanks for the feedback! I think several of the names were pretty good, just couldn't quite compete with "Terasology" when it came down to the requirements and statistics. Speaking of the latter, when I started this thread there were a grand total of 134 hits on Google. When I tried the same search again a moment ago there were more than four times as many hits with our links being in the majory :geek:

At this point I'm putting the final touches on the rename outside of code, so our Twitter account has now seamlessly changed from Blockmania to Terasology, the wiki is slowly being updated, etc. Might have to recreate the Facebook page entirely though. We'll see. Here's for hoping Terasology's birthday year will be a good one!

Edit: Wewt, was able to rename the FB page as well - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Terasolog ... 05?sk=wall