World
Architecture
Logistics

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I'm not sure how you would use wang tiling for height map generation. I have done quite extensive work with wang tiling in the past though (based on the GPU Gems article) for graphical rogue-like rendering. But, of course, time is the issue.

Do you have a particular use case in mind? I guess world generation - would probably be good in the abstract sense of tiled terrain features (not necessarily from textures even).

Esereja

Contributor
Yes it is quite good idea. But implementing it needs some serious coding(well few days or so). Using it we would be able to do non repetive pseudo-random custom maps. huh, that is cool.

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
Yes, recursive tiling should be able to create nice height maps. There's a nice demonstration for image dithering:

Recursive Wang Tiles for Real-Time Blue Noise
(Johannes Kopf, Daniel Cohen-Or, Oliver Deussen, Dani Lischinski)

The interesting part starts at 2:17

Ignore the point cloud part, it's really just about the the recursive split, followed by iterative repair of wrong matches.

That aside, I think it would also be extremely useful to create nice textures. This could be done without recursion, but it could interesting to try that approach for mip-maps.