Archived Searching for a pixel artist

Chrisk

Music Weaver
Contributor
Art
Heya.
I'm still feeling very uncomfortable posting this, but since Cervator gave me the permission to do it, I'll just go ahead. I'm currently working on a 2D indie game title heavily based on the "Legend of Zelda" series, with some Minecraft, Minicraft and RPG aspects to it.

Screenshots:
intro.png ingame.png

There is not much code at the moment, but as our ideas for monsters and weapons are not general enough and I'm a too much of a visual guy we actually need some graphics :).

The game will be written in C# using our own game library (XGL) and GDI+ as a renderer. The rendering framework is changable due to abstraction and nearly everything the game needs except for the gameplay is already provided inside the game library.

Source Code:
https://github.com/XemioNetwork/GameLibrary/tree/master/GameLibrary/Xemio.GameLibrary
https://github.com/XemioNetwork/Adventure/tree/master/Game/Xemio.Adventure

So, as the title already announced I'm searching for a pixel artist and I'm currently just using the BrowserQuest sprites as test images. The art style should be as simple as possible since I love old-fashioned pixelish games :)

Cervator

Project Lead and Community Wizard
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I figure this is the least we can do for our active contributors! I hope somebody from the Art Team sees and is interested :)

Chrisk

Music Weaver
Contributor
Art
Yeah, I'm looking for actual in-game assets :) Png would be great, I think the first things we need are map assets and an animated hero spritesheet.

Edit:
The tile size is 16x16 pixels btw, and the graphics should be a little bit more simple than the BrowserQuest assets :)

Chrisk

Music Weaver
Contributor
Art
Wow, really good work there SuperSnark, maybe I forgot to mention, that characters are made out of 2x2 tiles :) So the characters can actually be 32x32, while tiles like grass and stuff are 16x16. The hero looks awesome btw :D

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Oh good! 32 x 32 offers up a lot more options. I'll give that a shot.

Do you have any type of world theme? Is it sort of standard magic/fantasy? Do you have any preference on color palette? For example, would you like me to restrict colors a bit for a more "authentic" 8-bit feel, or is anything OK?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
These hugely remind me of the little characters from the Krynn series by SSI I played on my Amiga 500 many years ago. Awesome days, those. Nice work :)

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
Here's a possible hero character - if you want more of a "boy-hero" in a way that Link is. I thought if we wanted to make him independent of the Sun/Moon tribes which are Red/Gold and Silver/Purple (respectively) that maybe a nice blue/green would work.

If you'd like him a bit older I can see about aging him up a bit.

boy-hero-BIG.png

boy-hero.png

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
I had an animation 99% complete for him when my power went out last night - lost it all :(

Glad you like him. If he looks OK to you I'll go ahead and make a full sprite sheet with side, walking, back, and a basic attack.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
*hugs his UPS*

Lost power too, had several minutes to save and close stuff safely (on two computers with three monitors), then enough leftover battery time to run a lamp for a while. Definitely an investment I can recommend for Florida ... :)