Implementation SimpleFarming

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Name: SimpleFarming
Summary: A library module with easy to understand planting/growing/harvesting mechanic
Scope: Mod
Current Goal:
Curator:
Josharias
Github: https://github.com/Terasology/SimpleFarming
Compatibility: Singleplayer, Multiplayer

The desired gameplay mechanic goes as follows:
  1. Find a grown plant in the world
  2. Break it to drop its seed
  3. Replant the seed elsewhere (hopefully closer to home)
  4. Wait for it to grow up
  5. Wait for it to produce fruit
  6. Activate the plant's block to harvest the fruit
  7. Go to #5
Recent Changes:
Bug fixes: harvested produce not given to the player, world genned bushes not dropping seeds. (2015-08-01)

2015-08-01
  • Bug fixes: harvested produce not given to the player, world genned bushes not dropping seeds.
2015-06-12
  • Added cheat tools to help with diagnostics

Last edited:

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
I am hoping to add ground preparation features as optional extension mechanics. The goal was to get a base mechanic to grow from (pun intended). :)

The tricky part with growing crops is being able to get from seed to plant block and back seed again if needed. This fulfills that portion of it.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I completely flew by using 'e' to harvest first time through. But that makes so much more sense than breaking a plant "block" then getting both seed and fruit drops. Just harvest the fruit, leave the plant! We so need a journal entry triggered on the first time you "break" a bush to explain "Hmm! Somehow tearing the whole plant out of the ground didn't yield the desired results. Maybe I should try gently harvesting the fruit with 'e' if that's what I'm trying to get, and leave the plant be until I want to harvest seeds or get rid of it"

Of course some fruits might yield seeds during preparation of some sort. In that case maybe tearing up a plant just gives you a sapling you can plant instead, maybe with a percentage of success.

All kinds of other mechanics possible then like plants getting old over time. Maybe they'll make more specialized seeds for future generations the older they get, but start making less fruit. Or maybe they'll bud off new plants then slowly wither on their own. And so on.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Added cheat tools to help with diagnostics. The GrowthCan and the UnGrowthCan. Using the item on a plant will trigger it to grow or revert back a stage. There is still something fishy going on with changing the blocks in the world to the new block that I have yet to figure out.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Bug fixes: harvested produce not given to the player, world genned bushes not dropping seeds.

Multiplayer seems to be busted. Something about the entities not getting to the client correctly. Possibly to do with
blockEntityRegistry.setBlockRetainComponent(...)?