Sun, Moon, Stars

metouto

Contributor
Art
Could someone explain to me ....

1) How those three things are made ...

2) Links to where I may find them in code ....

3) Easy/hard to add other heavenly features.....

thanks

B!0HAX

Contributor
World
2] I can tell you where to find (what I think you are looking for)
src/main/java/org.terasology/rendering/world/
Skysphere

3] Im not sure if hard or not but probably this file will be also needed...
(to add new textures) src/main/java/org.terasology/logic/manager
TextureManager

maybe I'm missing something else...

metouto

Contributor
Art
Thank you B!0HAX .... this lead me to where I wanted to go ;)

Would it be worth my time to make up some 256 X 256 pixs of some new Skysphere pictures (I think there are 4 or 5) at this time just to add things to the night skys? I would not be fast at it and it would take me a while because I need to stay focused on my block making. I would just take this on as a side venture.

I am right that these 4 or 5 pictures are what go on throught the night and I can make them in a paint.net or gimp program ???

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
At this point you already know more than me about the Skysphere, so I'll probably be no help :D

Experimentation might show you the answer :)

If you're worried about messing up your workspace just make a copy of your Terasology dir as a backup

B!0HAX

Contributor
World
Happy to hear you are expanding horizons :D
You are right those pictures are loaded via the texture manager
Texture Manager (line 94)
Code:
addTexture("stars" + i);
Then look for example line 101 of Skysphere:
Code:
ByteBuffer data = TextureManager.getInstance().getTexture("stars" + (i + 1)).data;
Maybe try to redo the actual stars and see how that works out, then maybe you even learn how to make an orbiting planet :p
"Buena Suerte!" in your new adventure! (*green·thumb·up*)

metouto

Contributor
Art
metouto said:
I can make them in a paint.net or gimp program ???
Thanks for the help B!0HAX (it has been great baby steps for me so far ....) the above question still remains in my mind ;)

B!0HAX said:
Maybe try to redo the actual stars and see how that works out,
hummmmmm .... an idea :)

B!0HAX said:
then maybe you even learn how to make an orbiting planet "Buena Suerte!" in your new adventure! (*green·thumb·up*)
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :? :? :shock: :shock:

@ Cervator .... just guessing at what I have seen & you are right Experimentation will show me the answer .... onword and upwords (in baby steps forward ....).... next stop ??????

metouto

Contributor
Art
Thanks Cervator ... I have updated with 2 more pictures :D

Question should I continue along these lines???? Could they be used ???? .... I have planets I could make a screen out of ????

I am just trying to set up for a long memorial day weekend :)

BTY ... I am not stepping on any toes here am I .... is someone else working on this stuff ????

eleazzaar

Contributor
Art
Is that a dynamic meteor shower, i.e. the shooting star appears, blazes then winks out,
or is that all fixed, and every streak is permanent?

metouto

Contributor
Art
As much as I would like to have it dynamic meteor shower eleazzaar ... alas it is fixed :roll: and every streak is permanent :cry:

Dynamic meteor shower would take codeing and believe me I'm far from being able to that at this point :(

But if those shots were put in the order I have them when the night sky went through it's cycle it would look like they were moving :D

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
You're not stepping on toes, for sure, we don't have anybody currently working on Skysphere effects. You're also sort of stuck putting together fancy artwork for the Skysphere that probably won't go anywhere for a while - because we don't have anybody currently working on Skysphere effects (in coding) :D

So yeah, great potential, but need to put it into "motion"

One simple suggestion - make a starry background with a single distant comet. I remember about 15 years ago there was a comet sitting in the sky, only moving spot slightly each night for several weeks. That was great. The coding for something like that might be limited to "low random chance: show metouto's nifty comet image instead of the usual image for the next x nights, then go back to normal". And it would be testable on your side without the logic, you just replace the image, then use F3 to fast-forward time and see how the nights look.

Meteor showers on the other hand are too "close" - they really have to be animated to work

Edit: Oh, and planets would probably work too. Tho those would probably eventually have to move, not just go poof. Little less subtle than distant comets :)

Tricky part might be - I suspect the star pattern images are repeated across the Skysphere? I haven't actually checked. If they are, then pattern repetition on blocks will hold nothing on a sky with 16 identical planets arranged in a neat grid :D

metouto

Contributor
Art
Everything goes back to ..... I can't code ... :roll: .... well I could not make blocks when I got here and now I can .... you need meteor showers to be animated to work .... I will just have to go find out how to do that .... now, where did I put my computer .....