Resolved Technical question

whozk

A few months back, when updating the launcher, the update would download, but, couldn't finish the installation, citing some error. I thought that I'd mess with it when I got out of school for the summer. Now, a few days back, I re-downloaded the launcher, and it started up just fine. I played for a while, and it was all good. The next day, I loaded it up, and I couldn't get the actual game to start past the launcher. Some nameless error saying the game couldn't start. I re-downloaded again, and tried yesterday. I got the game started, but when I either load from a save, or create a new world, the game CTD at "Loading Prefabs..." So, my question is, does anyone know anything about this error, and how to go about fixing it?
Thank you very much!

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @whozk :)

We just recently did the major v2.0.0 release for the launcher, which fixed a bunch of stuff, but is also incompatible with older versions of the game. Is it possible you have old game data on your system, or a mix of new + old stuff in the same directories?

You can try to run the game without the launcher to see if that makes a difference and/or download a binary game distribution off GitHub to try.

Logs would be useful to help troubleshoot the issues

whozk

I believe I've wiped all old Terasology files before downloading/installing the launcher again. Is there any way of checking to make sure, besides searching in the C: drive for "Terasology"?
It works without the launcher, but I know it won't be auto updated like the launcher based game would.
I don't know where the logs would be. Apologies for my ignorance.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
No worries

Outside of directories you pick yourself (like the install and data dir the launcher asks you to pick) everything should be in your user home, so for me that's C:\Users\Cervator

C:\Users\Cervator\Saved Games\Terasology is the current default for the game, though with the launcher that'll go wherever you picked yourself instead :)

For the launcher itself its home has changed a few times over the years, the latest one that should matter is for me at C:\Users\Cervator\AppData\Roaming\TerasologyLauncher

You can try to delete both those locations then retry the launcher. You should get the two prompts to pick a directory again - if you don't you still have config files hiding somewhere.

If the crash still happens try to get logs together from those two locations, zip them up / put them on a paste site / attach them here. And any exact steps to replicate would be handy too.

whozk

I had an idea... I'm running windows 8.1, and Java recently updated itself a week or two back to 8.45, and I have no previous versions of Java installed. Could this be a factor? I know it all SHOULD be compatible, but, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Edit: I also moved the working stable build files into the launcher's files, and they were all the same, and the problem persisted.

Edit 2: I've deleted, and re-installed twice, with no avail (the screen asking for the two directories popped up both times). Both were launcher-versions. Assuming that neither I, nor my computer is losing it, and the no-launcher version actually did work, then that must mean that something's a tad wrong on the launcher side (even though it shouldn't be, as I get into the main screen, and am able to select a save before the crash).

I'm going to retire for the night. I'll start working on this again in the morning.
Thank you very much for your help so far! Hopefully we can get this fixed!

Last edited:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Java8u45 is one of the main ones we've tested, so that should be fine.

Very interesting that the crash is reproducible like that, would very much like some game logs to see what goes wrong. They should be in the data dir you pick for the launcher

Thanks for hanging in there :)

whozk

I've tried multiple times, and these are the logs of my last attempt, resulting in the same crash. I've found out that fiddling with the initial/max memory file sizes in the launcher options menu decided if the game was able to start, or not.
Also, this is a 32 bit java, and I believe I'm running a 64 bit java version only, (on a 64 bit OS). Again, should be compatible, but, just throwing things out there.
I've uninstalled/reinstalled a few times, and each time I have made sure that all Terasology related files were deleted.
Also, I've realized that when I launch the game not through the launcher, I have to load up the x86 version, as I can't access the x64 version. But, the x86 version looks different than what the launcher, well, launches. Also, when loading a world through the x86 version, the window resizes itself when the world starts loading (before the "loading prefabs" place), and then everything loads up accordingly.

Hopefully some of this, or at least the logs, help.

Again, thank you very much!

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Ah-hah! If you only have 32-bit Java and the crashes occur at some of the memory settings that may be because 32-bit Java can only accept so much memory (less than 2GB)

Can you try to simply install the latest 64-bit Java 8?

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html (second from the bottom)

Much better than the 32-bit version in any case.

If the exe doesn't work you can try to launch via command line - "java -jar libs/Terasology.jar -homedir" - from the game dir (with the exe in it). That way you can also vary the Java you're using if more testing is needed,

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Terasology is whatever bit count used to run it :)

When you launch the game using the x64 exe, what happens exactly?

Can you run

java -version

in a command prompt and paste the output here?

Without the exe the default Java should be used, and the game will run at whichever bit count that Java is.

We're working on bundling a JRE which should make these kinds of issues go away :)

whozk

I'm slightly confused as what you're asking me to do.
When launching the game's x64 version, a window pops up that says that the program couldn't find a suitable java 8 installation on my system (I don't even know if you were really asking for that).

Of what I did understand, here is the output from the command prompt;

java version "1.8.0_45"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_45-b15)
Java Hotspot(TM) Client VM (build 25.45-b02, mixed mode)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yep that's a 32-bit Java :)

Here's my version:

C:\>java -version
java version "1.8.0_45"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_45-b15)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.45-b02, mixed mode)

So it makes sense that the x64 won't launch since it finds the 32-bit Java.

It is quite possible you have a 64-bit Java installed, but the 32-bit is your default. Easiest way to fix is simply install 64-bit again and it should update configuration + default.

Alternatively if you find the install directory for an existing 64-bit Java you can update your PATH and JAVA_HOME (if it exists) system environment variables so the 64-bit is being used instead of 32-bit.

Let me know if that helps :)

whozk

Bah, that fixed it.
Thank you very much!
The odd thing is, I had this problem before, with the java versions, and I fixed it by getting the 64 bit. I assume that, with this most recent update, my java was switched back to 32 bit.
Sorry for all the trouble, and thank you again!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
No worries! Happy to help. And yep Java can get switched around from time to time :)