Terasology Ideas #1 - Crafting

TerasologyFTW

Terasology Ideas #1 - Crafting

I know I already made a post for Terasology Ideas, but I decided to make multiple posts on each of my ideas for an epic game (Terasology) :D! So heres my idea! Crafting! When you collect wood from trees you can open up your inventory and put wood in a 2x2 crafting square and you can get small plank pieces (not plank blocks) and you can put the plank pieces in the 2x2 crafting square and you have to put a plank piece in every square and you will get a Crafting Bench and you can put down the bench and you have a 3x3 crafting square and you can build anything there. You can put plank pieces in 6 of the slots in the 3x3 crafting sqauer and you will get 4 Plank Blocks and if you put 4 plank blocks in the 2x2 crafting square you get a better Crafting Bench and it has 4x4 Crafting Square instead of the 3x3! Thats my idea for Crafting! Tell me what you think on these ideas! Thanks! :)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
We got most the basic suggestions down already, there'll be something coming but it takes a while to make it all happen :) We need more code contributors!

Related item to look forward to here is when we prep a crafting system and allow users to write up the recipes in simple Groovy prop files. Participating in the existing discussion threads that get posted would also be useful, if you can research the topic enough to add interesting feedback.

I know the enthusiasm, been there done that! What you might want to do is look around in the existing threads, wiki, and even some of the code on GitHub - https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasol ... efinitions is where some of the easy Groovy stuff starts that might almost make sense just looking at it, especially the ample comments in Plant/Grass.Groovy :geek:

If you're interested in participating in Game Development overall in life then there are ample guides out on the web to get a basic introduction to the topics - which is probably the best thing you can do for both yourself and this project, especially if you go looking for good tutorials and post links here that we can then forward to the next enthusiast who's not sure how to best contribute :)

Main techs we use are Java, Groovy, LWJGL, Git, and IntelliJ - anything to help teach those topics would be good!

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I would throw the question out there as to whether there are better or more interesting ways to do crafting than the crafting grid. It is too easy to just copy Minecraft, and in doing so the opportunity to innovate is squandered.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
There most certainly are :)

I put a big plan page in the wiki some time ago on a workshop/blueprint concept area (although in the super duper sekkrit part of the wiki). In short, you dig out or otherwise prepare rooms, designate individual workshops that may require any number of tools, pieces of furniture, etc, and optionally crew the workshop with a particular minion type. As a player you'll likely be able to use the facilities yourself to a degree, but to reach higher "tech level" goods, high material efficiency, or bulk quantity you'll need to manage your creatures and "estate" well :geek:

That way you can do mostly everything yourself at first, but as you proceed in the game you start having NPCs do the boring stuff ;)

The Groovy recipes would not just call for the materials, but also the quality level of the workshop, the involved creatures, etc