TerasologyLauncher - www.terasologywiki.de

Perdemot

Contributor
Art
World
I'm kind of missing features that would make a Launcher useful. I would prefer a update function over a simple download function. At the moment it's just a little tool to run an application.

However it has future if you continue the development and add features that make it more useful. I also believe NowNewStart is working on something similar.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Updated the link real quick and posted a reply on the other site :)

Totti1992 was also working on one here but alas neither is in Java :(

They can be useful and we can add more ideas, but ultimately we'll need one in pure Java :)

I have some ideas on how to bundle up change info better, especially for a launcher. Might be doable soon... ish

Could add some more links - GitHub readme, wiki, etc

C4TH34D

Thanks for the ideas, if I could code Java, I would code the Launcher in Java, unfortunately this is not the case... :unsure:

C4TH34D

But in VisualBasic you can see what you make, as far as I know not in Java.
Thus look similar the next release:

Perdemot

Contributor
Art
World
Visual Basic is a good beginner language you can get things done quite fast. But if you want to really help with your launcher or provide a launcher that has future you need to do it in java :/

Perdemot

Contributor
Art
World
x3ro Because I use it and the plugins I mentioned earlier to him only work for eclipse.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
You have to compile your .java files using the java compiler (javac). Afterwards, you can run the application from command line with the command "java".
If you have a single file named "example.java", you would have to call "javac example.java" to compile it and then "java example" to run the application. Have a look on this site for some further information, or for some general java resources the Galileo openbook might be useful, too.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I can second the recommendation to install a nice IDE - Eclipse vs IntelliJ doesn't really matter much if you can find somebody to help support you in getting it working :)

With Eclipse I couldn't help, but if Perdemot is up for helping with Eclipse take advantage! :D

Some of the launcher topics are among the more advanced and tricky bits of Java (command-line parameters, classpaths, etc), but with a nice IDE making GUIs isn't too hard. Especially with some GUI helpers around and an up-and-coming config system!

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
You have to compile your .java files using the java compiler (javac). Afterwards, you can run the application from command line with the command "java".
Most IDEs compile them for you as you work on them, and provide an interface for running them.

mkalb

Contributor
Logistics
We have a simple launcher at the moment (launch4J http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/). I think it is not good to have a new launcher which starts the launcher (Terasology.exe).

A new launcher should replace the old launcher for all OS with the existing functions (Java download, ...).

And I think it is not good that we have at least three people who are working on a new lauchner.