Texture Pack Making

metouto

Contributor
Art
Evening to all,

I have scanned the internet for tutorials on how to create / redo a texture pack and the one name that keeps coming up is Minecraft and YouTube but I found nothing that was a help for the very very very beginner :( .

But I did find enough information to tell me that I needed to download Gimp so I went and got 2.6.11 and would like to try my hand a making a texture pack of 16x16 textures ;)

Now for my evening question ....

Could you tell me of a good tutorial (hopefully written) for doing this in Gimp or at least a tutorial that would be close to the Gimp program?

Anyway ...... I my not be able to do it but ..... I can't fail / succeed until I try

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
You don't actually need to worry about "packs" of anything :)

We explicitly went to an individual texture approach to make it easy to mod the textures for individual blocks and such.

All you need to do is figure out how to make 16x16 pixel PNGs with transparency enabled (RGBA / alpha). You can open any one of the existing block textures to see an example.

Then the idea simply is to make something new or an update on an existing texture :)

What I did to make the Companion Cube (gotta have one of those!) was simply dig up a normal image of it, then shrink it down to 16x16 and touch up the individual textures a little and done! Perfectly good and unique 16x16 texture for a new block

Doing something similar for different species of trees, mineral/ore blocks, etc would be a great start :D

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Cervator said:
What I did to make the Companion Cube (gotta have one of those!) was simply dig up a normal image of it, then shrink it down to 16x16 and touch up the individual textures a little and done! Perfectly good and unique 16x16 texture for a new block
Love the cube so much. That's why it has become a default item for the time being! Would love to here some GLaDOS voices related to this item. :laugh: