Suggested Things blocks need for better physics (sorta rant)

chessandgo

Contributor
Hunter
We have a pretty good voxel world currently, but like anything, we can always make it more powerful, useful, and detailed. Minecraft had mods with special blocks that add interesting properties and interactions, something all blocks could/should have.

I wrote a thing about gravity a while ago, so lets start with that.
Mass, each block could benefit from mass if gravity was implemented. By gravity i hope we have a robust system, not like Minecrafts. Minecrafts gravity system changes blocks into what essentially is a creature, and then changes them back into a block.

I see this picture often when browsing terasology pictures, although i do not know its background, if blocks could move and behave like that it would be a good system. The optimum system would be if each moving block stayed a block and the chunk system was more flexible. If sub chunks could be defined with in the current coordinate system that would be useful. Each block a chunk to itself. I can't define all the uses with this with out first introducing more tags.

The strength between other blocks. Ya wack a wall. a wood wall wood be more likely to stay in once piece than a glass one.
These now moving blocks get to be in their own chunk(s), upon which physics works totally normal. Chests and doors open, fire burns, light shines.
next thing we're ya know it we're adding density and zeppelin and boats work. We start dropping things onto over hangs. That dirt overhand is going to break before the stone one.

If Mass of blocks is always in effect, then you're goning to want to build big houses on stone overhands, or you might collapse the dirt one.

Minecraft modding can have boats and zeppelins, and tumbling rocks, because they are special, not because they are blocks. Zeppelins rarely have decently working normal physics, let alone the advanced stuff, or things added by other mods.

Perhaps my factory broke off its cliff, the machines will still work and move, even as its falling, assuming we can define all moving block clumps as having their own sub chunk. In minecraft, that falling thing would instantly become special, and thus, only very basic things working, let alone the other modded things and moving machines. In Minecraft boats, and multiblock boats are special things, not normal blocks.

If we get density and block strength down a boat is simply a moving chunk that happens to be buoyant. Same with Airplanes and zeppelins. One of the pit falls of minecraft is that blocks are very static. I can build a ship, but it does not work like one. I can get a mod to make it work sorta, but then it doesn't work like normal blocks and
fails even the most basic things.

If i can get a ship working, and it's in its own moving chunk with normal physics, its just like the mainland/gridsystem. Trees grow and water flows, etc. Minecraft fails abysmally when it comes to redstone and moving complex things. We can move a block WHOO!, we can sorta move circuits now, but only sorta. We should be able to get our circuit onto/into its own movable chunk and make it slide along a rail, but we can't.

We move a circuit with a piston, and A) Does not function, B) breaks. Minecraft can't have monorails as we know them, they can have a sorta kinda approximation. We get our whole
circuit/platform in its own movable chunk, and we are set. we slide freely and everything works. chests, doors, other circuits. Heck, if a trees is on there it will grow.

We add these physics we have not only eliminated a ton of mods that can only do it half assed, we add so much more freedom to everything else. A rocket ship isn't a special structure we build, it's just like a house or a castle, just using special blocks. A catapult isn't something added from a mid-evil mod, it is a thing we build that just happens to function in a certain way.

This only an outline, to really get it working we need a couple more things like friction (perhaps not needed, as it could just be calculated using the force on
two blocks and their desire to bind)

Of course this will be a decent amount of work, and be intensive to implement and need optimization. But you guys did implement super HD graphics and cubic chunks (of which i am very grateful).

We will probably have need a toggle for advanced physics, until we can get it stream lined and optimized.

If you have ever been in the minecraft community, advanced ways to move blocks in the world is crack to them. Custom block boats are hugely desired, same with zeppelins. Advanced pistons are a must have mod. Hinges and sliding mechanisms come only once in a blue moon and people go crazy with them.

Having such a open and dynamic block movement system would be a huge plus for us, and it'd be pretty damn cool.

Thank you for your time.

Josharias

Conjurer of Grimoires
Contributor
World
SpecOps
Space Engineers has done some interesting work with these kind of mechanics. Likely a lot can be learned from seeing how they implemented these features in game and the limitations they impose. Things like you describe where a factory breaks off a cliff and falls would be similar to how you can snap a space ship in half (by crashing) and both sides continue to function (although permanently separated from each other).

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That screenshot is oooolllddd - look at the toolbars, those were the first that ever existed, heh.

Back then physics had just been implemented and you could simply physics-enable blocks and they'd appear in the world nearly full-size. Over time we've switched back and forth, the physics are still there and work the same, the dropped blocks are just smaller. But that's a setting you can change if you want (in code). For a while any one block could even splinter into several smaller physics-enabled blocks. Whether the player picks them up or leaves them in the world is another setting.

So really nothing prevents us from doing that again. The current "minified" physics (smaller blocks and less than one per block drops if you use explosives) are just from when some changes in the past made physics expensive, we've improved the performance again since but not turned the physics fun back up (the poor railgun remains neutered). Mass is also implemented - try throwing a (heavy) stone block vs throwing a (light) pickaxe or torch.

Full size vehicles of every kind that can move on their own are all kinds of cool, yup. I'm sure it is possible and would be a huge hit, it just takes time and effort.