Suggested Tutorial

Wolfgange

There's so many mods for Terasology, each with their own semi-extensive sets of features that I don't know how more than half of them work. I think a standard tutorial function should be integrated into the mod manager (Or whatever it would be called).

Beneath the description of the mod, if the mod has a tutorial, there would be a "Play Tutorial" button that would spawn the player in a small 128x128x512 world with the materials specified by the mod. Next, a text bow or the console would have steps to complete to demonstrate what the mod does or how to use it. Here is an example:

First you click play tutorial. You appear in a small world with wood in your hand. A text bow appears near the top of the screen and says, "Hold q with the wood block in your hand".

When you successfully hold q: "Now, Right click to place the wood block onto the grid". etc. And eventually you get to the end: "Congratulations, you have finished the tutorial. You can either continue experimenting or exit out of the tutorial".

Now here a simpler implementation that would work, at least temporarily:
You just spawn in a basic world, the tutorial instructions are outputted to the command line, and you are given the appropriate materials to complete what was outputted to the console.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Heyo Wolfgange - curiously have you tried enabling "Throughout the Ages" and its world generator ? It actually has a great in-game tutorial that is totally integrated with the actual gameplay. IMHO we need to do that more often, and with the Journal module maturing that might get easier to replicate elsewhere :)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Also in-game tutorials are quite nice, I still see some areas where a "offline-tutorial" would be helpful. For instance, in a multiplayer L&S match you would not have the time to read instructions, but in a special tutorial singleplayer the game could be paused when the player is reading instructions.

In each case I think a Journal-like framework for tutorials would be nice. Not sure if it would need engine changes (permissions) to pause the game (singleplayer, local server,...).

Maybe "Tutorials" just use Journal + Tasks + Pausing -- that seems to be all we need...