Version 1.2.0 - hull restructuring, needs testing!

Cervator

Project Lead and Community Wizard
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
#1
The branch @Linus started near the very beginning has been tweaked from time to time and looks to be stable now!

@SimonC4 did the latest pass and I've tested it too. The issue with pirate turrets falling over is gone and the first planet mercenary works again. It may be ready!

This would be a big step forward for tweaking content ("hulls") and finishes the biggest outstanding PR. If we can merge this and release v1.2.0 then we can look at some more big refactoring and addition of things like our file header (hi @Halamix2 !)

We also had a very interesting offer today! A fellow on Steam had previously worked on a soundtrack on an indie scifi game that was cancelled (Cimmerian Space) yet he retained ownership of his music. He's been looking for something to re-purpose it for and Destination Sol looks like a fit! So maybe we can add in the four pieces from him in this release or soon(tm). They're very good and should work well with the game :)

Talking to him some more on Saturday around 4 pm EDT (just before the later Terasology office hour) when we hope to get the pieces uploaded to GitHub and formatted so we can use them in-game.

@PrivateAlpha @prestidigitator @theotherjay and anybody else interested - come help test!

Presently the branch to try out (from source) is "hullrebased2" with the PR here.
 

SimonC4

New Member
Contributor
#2
I had a bit more of an extended test of it today. I think it's looking good and I like the idea of merging and releasing it for beta testing.
 

Cervator

Project Lead and Community Wizard
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
#3
Merged hull into new develop branch!

http://jenkins.terasology.org/job/DestinationSol now builds develop instead of master

http://jenkins.terasology.org/job/DestinationSolRelease has been created to build master

Will probably overhaul that again a bit when I get time to finish the release management for Terasology soon(tm)

There is a binary available that'll test this - but initial tests suggest something can't load right from a binary :)

Destination Sol_2015-07-09_22-10-38.png


Not sure yet if it is a build issue or the new way things are being loaded. @Linus - help! :D

The prior build for develop should be okay for the Mac testing.
 

SimonC4

New Member
Contributor
#4
Here's a quick update as I ran out of time.

Managed to reproduce locally using gradlew distZip, but needed to do a git clean first. After that I can also reproduce using gradlew run, but I can't reproduce it if I run from IntelliJ.
 

SimonC4

New Member
Contributor
#5
I think I found the issue. I was expecting that the textures were loading from the res/configs/hulls folders, but they are not. They're are still loading from the texture atlas and the sol.atlas file has been changed so the name of each texture includes the devBuild path, which is why it only works from IntelliJ. Removing the devBuild path makes it work from the command line but not from IntelliJ.

https://github.com/SimonC4/DestinationSol/tree/develop-texturemanager
I've made a change to support loading textures from both the texture atlas and from a static file. The way it works is if the texture is found in sol.atlas it will load it from there, otherwise attempt to load it from the directory. I've removed all of the entries in sol.atlas that contained filepaths that caused the issue that @Cervator reported above. However, the majority of the hulls were missing icon.png files. I've used a placeholder image there for now until the correct image is used.

Still a bit more to do, but the game should run again now.
 

Cervator

Project Lead and Community Wizard
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
#8
v1.2.0 has been released on GitHub, Steam, and Google Play :)

Next item of interest: Controller support!