Was working ... Now, not so good ...

metouto

Contributor
Art
Could someone help me out again :oops: Terasology was working fine then all of the sudden I get this ... :roll:

I'm running it off my desk top so I should have everything it needs :?: right :?:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Did you at all change your Java setup? Installed a new JDK, uninstalled one, etc

For whatever reason the exe has decided to clamp on to a specific instance it wants to run with, and claims it can't find it in your registry.

Pull up a command prompt and let us know what "java -version" results in?

I imagine you can run the game just fine if you run it out of IntelliJ or via the jar file. You should have a "runjar.bat" in the root of the codebase if you have it available locally, otherwise from the downloaded zip you should be able to run "java -jar Terasology.jar" and have the game launch.

If you have a working JRE/JDK, anyway, which may be the problem... :)

metouto

Contributor
Art
Cervator said:
Did you at all change your Java setup? Installed a new JDK, uninstalled one, etc
not to my knowledge

Cervator said:
File version 6.0.300.12

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
metouto said:
Cervator said:
File version 6.0.300.12
There should be more than that - but being that you got anything at all I suppose Java is responding.

I'm not sure what to really recommend, hard to troubleshoot that at distance. But you might want to look around and see if you can spot something screwy in your registry. Try this:

1) Run "regedit"
2) Expand down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft
3) Look for keys under that item that correspond to a path that doesn't exist on your system

For instance I've got a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.6.0_23 with a JavaHome of C:\Program Files\Java\jre6 which is a correct path on my system. You can get that sort of error if for some reason you end up with a path like that to a non-existing directory on your machine.

Reinstalling Java (regardless of the state of your registry) is probably the easiest thing to try as it should update the registry. Otherwise we might need to look at the process that creates the EXE and see if any kind of Java path or lookup is hard coded in there and just so happens to exist for most of us.

metouto

Contributor
Art
I was playing around with the newest download and where to place it to work. So I placed it in my ....

and then just for kicks (because I don't have linux I only have windows) I clicked on run_linux :eek: and it started :eek:

now how can this be in a PC running windows :?: when I can't get it to run in windows :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
The linux command actually runs the "java -jar Terasology.jar" thing after a few Linuxy things, so yeah, it works and you have a valid JDK :)