Waving grass

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
I've pushed a small extension to the chunk shader yesterday. Our small grassy billboards are no longer just statically standing around but are influenced by some artificial "wind". This is currently done by superpositioning sine and cosine waves in the chunk shader.

This can be extended to support actual wind directions and strengths during thunder storms, ... and so on an so on. It is working very well and has no visible impact on the overall performance. It is more or less a proof of concept. :)

What do you think?

PS Rasmus, take a look at our core team forum, please! :)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Checked - it took you posting here to trigger my email alerts before I realized there was anything new anywhere, I've now subscribed to all the forums :D

Survived the AI midterm over the weekend, now trying to catch back up so I can continue on the mob/portal stuff and organizing info :)

And checking out wavy grass while I'm at it! Saw all the check-ins and made notes to review updateTick() in World since I cheated and based the mob spawning off that too.

Extensible to show weather effects? That'd be all kinds of cool!

begla

Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Just started working my way through the JBullet library. Might take a while though... I'd like to start out with creating some sort of interaction between the player and the world (hitting some blocks, removing them from the voxel grid and rendering them with physics enabled might become my first prototype – just like in the YouTube video you've shown me earlier). :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I'd be thrilled to see physics and blocks jumbling around :)

Got one other request for you coming up - I'm picturing that managing a "fortress" in 3D and 1st person will be a whole lot trickier than 2D top-down (DF, DK). One thought I had was to make a way to toggle the display of permanent room selections (by category, colorized or so) on and off - seeing them through walls so you can find your way around better.

I'm thinking that isn't as simple as just rendering them last (well, second last, GUI is last), on "top" of the normal blocks, semi-translucent? But maybe not too bad? Not sure how hard it would be to get around occlusion, upsetting the render order, etc. I'm not a graphics programmer :D

begla

Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Physics are already working "perfectly"! I'll upload a video later this evening. I'm happy. :D :geek: :shock:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
begla said:
Physics are already working "perfectly"! I'll upload a video later this evening. I'm happy. :D :geek: :shock:
Damn :shock:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Just saw this, seemed related :)

http://jmonkeyengine.org/2011/12/02/new ... #more-2444

Might be too "fancy" for our blocky world, but maybe worth a look anyway? I dunno what kind of performance hit we take from grass (or might, if we get fancier with weather and distances)

metouto

Contributor
Art
begla said:
.... small grassy billboards are no longer just statically standing around but are influenced by some artificial "wind"...... This can be extended to support actual wind directions and strengths during thunder storms, ... and so on an so on ..... What do you think?
I love this artificial "wind" this is only the second time I have seen it done ( I wish I could remember where I saw it before :oops: )

and the idea maybe we will see .... wind storms .... thunder storms ..... dust storms ..... ice storms .... rain .... hail .... sleet .... conditions where the heat is so hot that you can't be out long, if at all .... :shock: in the game in the future is mind blowing :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah I would love to see specialized weather effects like that, although that's probably an "edge" feature as far as prioritization goes - we'd probably need to have somebody volunteer to be in charge of advanced weather effects :)