Suggested What I think the game should be, an X-post from reddit

eccentrus

So I think one of your admins or community managers went to reddit /r/TerraFirmaCraft and basically asked "if you can make a voxel based TFC like game, what would you make?" And this was my answer, as the guy there suggested that I copypasta this to the forum, so I did. Oh well glad to know that this game is around, might introduce me to some Java learning shenanigans later on.
========================================
If I can make a voxel based stand-alone TFC, first of all I would get rid of those minecraft-y mechanics and replace them with actual mechanics that looks realistic, no more grass or leaf blocks, with independent voxel engine you should be able to model and render them differently.

The geology would be non-fractal, and each world would be generated as randomly-generated tectonics who clashes each other and ore generation and distribution would be based on that, hell perhaps ore generation would be done deep in the mantle simulation and the tectonic clashes would be the ones to bring them closer to surface.

No more digging with your bare hands obviously, dirt digging requires shovel and wooden shovels can't terraform a whole hill or biome, you'd need excavators for that, even the topmost iron shovels should be limited on terraforming.

most importantly though the health simulation aspect, how does a person go to a desolate desert or freezing tundra wearing the same gear? and mountains would actually be a boundary, sure you can mine near mountains but the mountains itself shouldn't be able to be moved, and pass a certain height, it will be a death zone.

Another thing about health that I don't like in minecraft and all its derivative mods, the health bar, it doesn't make sense in anyway and was born when games were not able to simulate anything, there should be hunger bar, thirst bar, stamina bar, and pain chart with a body overlay, but many mechanics should be hidden and will have like blood volume and many forms of death triggers due to diseases and the like.

Other than that though, the smelting and mining mechanics of TFC is particularly enjoyable and believeable enough that it doesn't make any complaints from me, although I would reserve high level mining like digging deep underground to iron levels and up, for thousands of years, shifting sand and gravels in water is how we get the metal we want, and even now bauxite is still mined that way, although the mechanics for this should be different from TFC, which is biome based, the metal extracting mechanics should be like how bauxite and many other metals work in real life, from the specific type of sand/gravel.

Veins should be distributed more on the mountain side biomes, through mechanics I've explained above, the other thing is that you shouldn't be able to farm anywhere and everywhere, the ability to do so is practically modern technology, back way then, farming was much more limited hence why civilizations grew alongside rivers and deltas, arable land and such should only be available very near to the water source, and canals etc would require iron and up tech to bring.

Well this is getting long, but perhaps you'd get some of my idea, good luck to your endeavor, I'd subscribe to the forums to see what it's like.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks for the copypasta! You'd be most welcome to put some Java learning to use here :)

We're roughly heading that direction, with varying degrees of completeness.

On not just repeating what MC has done we have our super neat and powerful entity system along with a nice facet-based world generation system, where each feature is a "facet" that can be chained and nested to make just about anything. For instance the Cities world is particularly well put together with the system - here's an example for city walls

While we still have the placeholder health setup akin to MC, there are additional bars for hunger and thirst in Josharias Survival + Throughout The Ages (the most like TFC - was an inspiration for its primary author @Marcin Sciesinski I believe) and we have an anatomy concept for a more advanced setup akin to what Dwarf Fortress uses. A combat branch that was never quite finished even had positional damage between physics-based attacks and actual creature/player models.

The handling of water/liquids might be the next big milestone for major refactoring away from MC land. We've discussed treating liquids as a different layer of sorts rather than blocks, so it can go around columns, hold plants, etc. Handling leaves differently could be done too. Heck the idea has been floated that we don't even need to have blocky terrain (there are other neat voxel worlds that are anything but square). But words are cheap and code expensive, so it is taking a while to get there :)

Tectonics is another part-way there. We have access to a tectonic plate simulator called PlaTec, shared by its author @Laurimann, which can create heightmap worlds playable now. However you have to create the world separately then import the heightmap asset, and it doesn't track a lot of extra attributes yet (plate age might be in there but unused). It would be much nicer if you could run it in-game during a world initializing phase and see the plates move just like in the tool.

We have a nice ore generator, actually shared by a MC modder (@JRoush of CustomOreGen), which can also be used to create caves (veins of air). It is used in TTA a lot, especially for the caves. In that gameplay setup you also can't break blocks without tools normally (you can break dirt and tree branches but only get item drops, not whole blocks). Finally it also has a growth generator running incrementally growing trees and crop types that indeed favor some locations over others :)

So we're on the way! But I would definitely love to see more, even if just more detailed designs if not code. I know @Josharias has a basic sifter in his setup, but panning gold in an actual gravelly riverbed? Yes please! :D