Team Who is Mike 'mkienenb' Kienenberger?

Mike Kienenberger

Contributor
Architecture
GUI
  • Name: Mike 'mkienenb' Kienenberger
  • Social: mkienenb on most services, 22994185 for ICQ. No You/Twit/Face. "Old-school."
  • Skills / Tools: Most programming languages created before 1998, with huge projects in Basic, C, Objective C. Primarily java after that for the last 15 years. CVS/SVN, Application networking protocols (multi-user apps), terrain generation, some jME/lwjgl, Eclipse. Junit. Wiki documentation. Lots of other not-directly-related boring stuff like Ant, Velocity, Payment processing, MyFaces, Database ORMs like Cayenne and JPA.
  • Found via: "52 Games Like Minecraft - Games Finder" http://gameslikefinder.com/games-like-minecraft
  • Interests: Dwarf Fortress / DungeonKeeper player. Love the NPC-Helper/simulator genre. Want to see a java open-source version of DF with a usable interface as DF drove me crazy and finally made me stop playing. Mostly interested in seeing that happen, particularly if I can use Eclipse to development. Since I've already started contributing to making Eclipse work (I got it to the point where it runs the game), I figured I should submit an introduction. Some things I'm interested in moving forward are NPC control interface. Currrently everything plays as if I were an Imp rather than the DungeonKeeper, which I'm sure is the Minecraft "way" but not the stated project goal. Possible first priorities are a 2d view aka DF, a task assignment system, a dig task GUI, a dwarf/imp task-executer, game data/status reports. [Update: I found the Minions system project on the legacy branch, and this starts work on some of what I hope to see.]
  • Extra: I have never played Minecraft yet, but I did play "Don't Starve" way too much last month (day 400 with creative saved-game restoring). I've also resisted the urge to use GIT until now. Groovy I used once, and gradle not at all. I have a wife and four kids, a day job, and non-computer volunteer work, so I probably will only be able to help around the edges, unless I get sucked in :)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Heya Mike good to see an intro post! That's quite an impressive line-up there and that game finder site seems to keep coming up, wonder how we stay in both highest ranked and most votes :D

Miinions was put together by overdhose quite a while ago and he was working on a neat looking radial command menu back when he suddenly ran low on time (good ole RL) and more or less disappeared. Since then synopia has picked up in that area and has done some very impressive stuff. See the Behavior Tree thread (and great video!), Pathfinding, and synopia's associated engine fork (not quite PR ready yet). Sounds like that would be relevant to your interests! Synopia is usually on IRC although often afk (as is tradition) - been busy in RL lately too, I understand

The Eclipse stuff we'll figure out sooner or later. Wish I could get what I've got finished and merged in already, but ... there's that RL again! ;)

Don't Starve is pretty great. Git is too, after you get over the desire to strangle it. Gradle is about the same way :geek:

Edit: Oh, and have a contributor badge! I have no doubts more good stuff is coming :coffee:

Mike Kienenberger

Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Thanks for the pointers on who to talk to, and what to look at. I think I might start wikifying some of the current progress as there's too much to sort through in the forums without some kind of index.

And yes, I managed to push out a git change with my minimap demo, and it did take a lot of hair-pulling before I figured out how to do it. :) Too many years of cvs/svn habits.

The eclipse part is working well enough to be useable even if it takes a few manual adjustments to get set up. At some point I need to import the coding standard templates, but running checkstyle manually should probably work for now.

I've got a rough draft of a HUDElement management system started, but I think I should have created a new git branch for it -- I'm sure I'll get the hang of git eventually. :)

As for how Terasology is so highly ranked, it's in a popular language, on a popular game genre, with a great license, with an excellent code base (so far as I've seen so far) , and a lot of active contributors. And it's already at a stage where you can see immediate progress when you're working on the project. A few game developers were talking about java GUI development on the GOG.com forums a couple weeks back, and the one thing we all agreed on was that there was no decent GUI libraries out there. I think what you've got started here is a nice step in the right direction for combining 3d and 2d work, and that's without seeing what NUI is going to provide.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
He's out there, talked a bit via email a little while back, but stuck like many others with too little time, alas :)