Resolved World not working in new builds

Baddl

Hi...

my problem is that my world from a version before will not work in the new builds of the game.

I Saved my "Saved Worlds" folder,
delete the old build,
extract the new one an include my "saved worlds" Folder.

The game starts normal, the world is loading normal (loading screen). But all the blocks i got in my "hand" had an "?" as symbol an the world it self doesnt load... so no blocks or the black frames of not loaded blocks are around me.

I quit the game, deleted my "saved worlds" that i copied in
Started the game again and created a new world... make some clicks and qiut the game
Now i included the Folder "World 2" (this is my loveed world^^) in the created "saved world" folder.
But this will make no difference.

I hope anybody understood this and can help me.
By the way, please excuse my worse english :)

greetings

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
It sounds like your saved world is from a version of Terasology before I did a big piece of work to help save games remain compatible across versions. Prior to that saved games were only guaranteed compatibility with the version of the game that created them (and the game would have crashed rather than loaded the world). So unfortunately it will not work with the new version.

On the other hand it is possible (if time consuming) to manually fix the saved game. In your old SAVED_WORLDS folder is a BlockManifest.groovy, which is a plain text file with a line starting with blockIndex that links each block id to a number. In the new saved world structure the equivalent of this is stored in WorldManifest.json in each of the individual worlds, in the "blockIdMap" section. The difficulty is the id of the blocks has changed significantly as well, so

Code:
blockIndex=["Air":0, "Alabaster":1, "Basalt":2, "Beryllium":3, "Borax":4]
becomes

Code:
"blockIdMap" : {
    "engine:air" : 0,
    "minerals:alabaster" : 1,
    "minerals:basalt" : 2,
    "minerals:beryllium" : 3,
    "minerals:borax" : 4
}
Where the id is determined by working out what mod the block is in and the name of the block in the mod. Ids for rotatable blocks like stairs have change even more.

Edit: Perhaps someone with time on their hands can write a converter?

Baddl

hi,

thanks for the answer...

so its a fact of getting the code better an such stuff i understand...

you all did a great job... its a great game.... love it...

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks Baddl and sorry to hear about your saved world trouble :)

Writing a converter might be tricky this early (what exact source build would we pick, builds will keep changing, etc), but doing a one-time conversion for that exact block manifest would probably be doable without too much effort by somebody familiar with the blocks. Later on with a more stable (alpha/beta) game we might be able to build in converters for general use.

Baddl: If you attach your existing BlockManifest.groovy from the old world you want to save we could see if somebody has time to update it, then maybe that'll work again :)

Baddl

Hi,

thats realy nice idea but i dont want that somebody spend time and work in such a little problem.
I thought i do maybe something wrong by copying the files or using the computer (^^) or something else :)

i will start a new world thats realy ok, with the block picker and the improved chunk generating it will be lots of fun:)

By the way, the worlds that are beeing created are a little bit to mountain-ish i think...
There could be a better mix between flats and flats with moderate mountains and biig mountains in the future...
But its only my opinion and maybe a little suggestion for later improvements... still love the game ;)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Alrighty then :)

More biomes will come later, including some less mountainous areas - but there'll always be at least some crazy mountains :D