Ape

Aperion

Contributor
  • Name: Chris 'Ape' R.
  • Nicks: Aperion, Rethnor
  • Skills / Tools: C++, .Net, Java (V. Rusty), SQL, Ruby, Perl, Linux, Eclipse, Bachelor degrees in Computer Science and Physics
  • Found via: Youtube video
  • Interests: Primarily Physics modeling, Simulations and a Procedural world generation.
  • Extra: Love the focus on Dwarf Fortress, I keep thinking how I would enjoy to merge MC and DF.
    I focus on system behavior over system definition, it is what I call the difference between simulation and animation. Rather than saying here is a pond of water, say there is no drainage and let water accumulate to form a pond. Physics in Minecraft (liquids and floating blocks) have always pissed me off.

I used to contribute code and physics help to another open source game called Rigs Of Rods: http://www.rigsofrods.com/content/

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Nice to be able to welcome you officially - and total agreement on the behavior over definition bit, that's exactly how I'd like to think of the world too :)

Maybe after you try a few small commits you might be up for looking at the Block Dynamics concept that I keep pushing, lots of interesting potential there including realistic support for blocks to avoid the worst floaters :D

Aperion

Contributor
I'm not used to working on GUIs, however I am having issues with some of the HUD and menus showing up. I will hopefully talk to you (or others) in IRC on getting those fixed in Linux. I am almost an exclusive Linux user at home.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey Aperion - any update on your issues? I know they came up elsewhere, but forgot where (IRC discussion I think, possibly spawning issue #266?) - but checking up on any additional discoveries or needs here :)

Haven't seen you on IRC, but I'm back "full time" now (as full time as an already packed schedule allows, that is!) and am looking forward to discussing block dynamics design :geek:

Aperion

Contributor
Hey
Hey Aperion - any update on your issues? I know they came up elsewhere, but forgot where (IRC discussion I think, possibly spawning issue #266?) - but checking up on any additional discoveries or needs here :)

Haven't seen you on IRC, but I'm back "full time" now (as full time as an already packed schedule allows, that is!) and am looking forward to discussing block dynamics design :geek:
Hey Cervator, I try to be pretty active offline on the weekends since I spend all my weekdays at a computer. so I will probably take a look at this issue further tonight. I will probably be on tonight

putting these links here for further reference and investigation:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6091956/2d-rendering-with-vbo-in-lwjgl-wont-draw?rq=1#
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8618802/lwjgl-not-rendering-textures-correctly

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
We solved most/all of this on IRC today - Aperion submitted a fix to his issue, wonder if that solves #266 ? Tests fine for me on Windows, would be good with a test or two on Mac and elsewhere.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
I'm curious why that extra indexBuffer flip would help in the first place - the buffer is already flipped after it is filled in, which I would think is the only time it is needed. In fact the index buffer goes out of scope after that, so...? Might be something interesting about the linux implementation I guess.

If possible, can the extra flip be moved up the code to be closer to the other usages of the indexBuffer, and a comment added so it doesn't accidentally get removed later?

Aperion

Contributor
ok, I'm not an expert on this stuff and trying this was more of a happenstance than hard science. I know this isn't good practice as it's programing by coincidence.
VertexBufferObjectManager.getInstance().bufferVboElementData(mesh.vboIndexBuffer, indexBuffer, GL15.GL_STATIC_DRAW);
I thought the above line might be effecting the buffer, thus why I placed another flip before returning the mesh. I will experiment more with placement tonight.

Immortius

Lead Software Architect
Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Thanks.

The stated effect of flip is that it rewinds the buffer - generally you'ld fill in a buffer with put(), then flip() it to move the cursor to the beginning, then read out of the buffer with get() (or otherwise). Which should be happening once in bufferVboElementData, I would guess. Unless it is being read twice somehow (might debug and watch how it is being used.)