Suggested Collect graphics assets in a dedicated repository

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
Currently, all kinds of graphic assets exist, but they are scattered in the forum. Similar to the request for a centralized screenshot/video collection, I suggest to collect graphics/art/concept drawings in an easily accessible place.

Things I would hope for in such a repo:
  • Gooey in all his(?) variations, preferably with original editable vector graphics file
  • Splash screens (incl. Photoshop file)
  • Other graphics material that are currently in use somewhere (forums, icons)
  • Concept drawings
Maybe some of this could go into TeraMisc, but maybe we could setup OwnCloud (or something similar) so that people can easily upload their stuff there.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I think TeraMisc is fine for most of it - at least for reusable assets like variations of Gooey, icons, etc. OwnCloud seems to be a good alternative for the more artistic stuff like wallpapers and concept drawings. Does OwnCloud have a gallery function which we can possibly incorporate into the splash page at www.terasology.org?

Additionally: Along with the SVG files, either all required assets should be available for download as well (e.g., fonts, textures, ...) or at a least a link should be provided where to get the files.

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
By default, ownCloud shows thumbnails for image files (better than github at least). There seems to be a plugin that shows images nicely:
https://github.com/owncloud/gallery

Is there an automated way to find all relevant images in the forum? If yes, we could upload them and link to the respective entry in the forum. Doing that manually would be quite some effort. Alternatively, we could just upload the most important ones ..

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
Having spoken to a few people, I think that there's two options:
I believe that git versioning and GitHub hosting is not required / ideal for graphics and 3D model archives. Using ownCloud, people can just upload, download and browse files through a convenient web interface. I think that is better suited for the target group (3D modellers, artists, etc) than GitHub. Such a solution could probably be hosted on one of the Digital Ocean droplet mini-servers.

What do you guys think?

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I agree with using OwnCloud or something similar.

The most important aspect will probably be the storage. Small video snippets (such as intro/outro, ...) can go there as well, and even exchanging some recordings via the web storage platform seems to be a use case from time to time (although that would just be temporary storing the files). How much space is left on the existing Droplets?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Another thing to look for: Xenforo addons. Back when we used the XenPorta series of addons there was a media one that looked pretty cool - it wasn't free though and the author was a bit of an ass. It did a sort of central image gallery even harvesting normal images from threads if you wanted it. I bet there are other good options and the Xenforo droplet has plenty of space (10-15GB maybe)

Weblate droplet also has plenty of space if we want to install some independent service.

The idea of non-Digital Ocean hosting that focuses on storage is also good one, would be a good place to store backups as well (DO has backup built in but if the droplet is deleted so goes the backups)

Videos - Youtube? We can store some degree of mostly raw footage on there, right? Private / unpublished bits. Totally raw video - ouch, those get big fast, I recently deleted the raw files for the old Leap Motion videos I recorded, tens of GB :)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Videos - Youtube? We can store some degree of mostly raw footage on there, right? Private / unpublished bits. Totally raw video - ouch, those get big fast, I recently deleted the raw files for the old Leap Motion videos I recorded, tens of GB :)
Right, I was aiming at reusable snippets, like the intro text I used for the teasers. So again, it more about the raw asset than the actual video coming out at the end.

P.S. I just discovered that you can download your videos from YT in the video manager. However, this needs access to the account.

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
Ok, then let's install OwnCloud (or an alternative -- imho OwnCloud is the best software on the market) on one of the Droplets.

Once we get enough funding, we could also move that to a new server if the storage space on the Droplet is too little (maybe together with a game server?)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hehe, bonus, there's actually a pre-configured OwnCloud droplet you can create on DigitalOcean :D

It suggests a 1GB ($10/month) droplet size. That's all of 30 GB of space though, not a whole lot if you get into video.

If we start out small just wanting to organize some assets without heavy video looking for XF plugins might be worth a few minutes. Or finding some existing space away from DigitalOcean we can hitch a ride on for a while.