Dirt/GrassSide/Grass/TNT Blocks

metouto

Contributor
Art
OK ...

I have taken on the the job as 2D block texturing :D along with some others so I need to get things rolling and the best place for me is to start at the ground and work my way up ( :laugh: there is a joke in there because I am also learning from the ground up also :laugh: )

Here is a picture of some things I am working on at the moment ...... Dirt/GrassSide/Grass

And here is another ....TNT

So, tell me in as many words as you would like to use what you ....

1) Think

2) What is done good

3) What is done bad

4) Should it be add

5) It should be reworked more in the lines of .....

6) I do not like it at all

I will listen to ALL comments because that will help me learn so YOUR input is needed ;)

Attachments

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I saw this briefly before I left for work, but didn't have time to comment and figured I'd do it from here - and now I can't see anything :D

If I recall then I liked the more lush / rich green (again), and it looked like the trouble with the "knots" or what not on the sides had toned down quite radically, which is good. There was something about the grass top, where you could very easily see the "grid" where the blocks connect, that would need to look a bit more random.

Good progress anyway :)

TNT I just plainly like, no detailed feedback there :geek: (tho maybe down the road we should have different types of explosive blocks!)

metouto

Contributor
Art
Ok .... note to self ****use upload attachment**** .... should fix the non-seeing thing ;)

....maybe down the road we should have different types of explosive blocks!
hmmmmmmmm ....... *puts on Terasology thinking cap for trip to work*

metouto

Contributor
Art
I do not understand how these 3 attachments come up with these pictures ....

but the grass looks better to me ......

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Can't see the screenies, but the attached block images look fine :)

The grass top almost looks too smooth now - I know, hard to balance just right :D

For some reason I'm now beginning to think about different species of grass... this one would be great for an in-game golf course! :D

metouto

Contributor
Art
I have tried to attach pictures to Upload attachment just over 48 million times ( I might be over estimating a little because of frustration) each time I reduce picture size and it says it is to big :unsure:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I just adjusted the board settings to allow more and larger attachments. Try now :)

Generally any image over 1 MB is probably in need of shrinking, but they'll attach up to 2 MB now

Begla: I set the disk quota to 500 MB for attachments, figuring space probably isn't a huge issue on the host, but let me know if otherwise!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Looks good and pretty, but yeah, may need to smooth out that dirt-to-dirt transition / the vertical layering of dirt blocks :)

Certainly progress!

metouto

Contributor
Art
But Cervator ,

1) the grass.side block in 2.png picture looks nothing like what I made :? except the green on the top .... it looks as if it have 3 sections of color going on but the top goes from green to brown to darker brown until it is the end or the bottom of the block. It is also blinded like dirt block with "smudge" tool.

2) the dirt block in 1.png picture look nothing like what I made :? When making it I took the color from the bottom of the grass.side block and made the top of the dirt block and then worked it down darker as it went through the dirt block. Then I used the "smudge" tool in gimp to smooth it out and make it look darker as it goes down.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Oh! That's what you meant. Sorry :)

Hard to see the itsy bitsy block textures in detail.

Make sure you can see the textures you want inside IntelliJ, and that you've deleted the whole SAVED_WORLDS directory in the same path that IntelliJ is running from (check in the very top of IntelliJ, it should list the path you're at). If you have confirmed that then we might need to do the remote thing again to check (can do that any evening, even late, if we find each other on IRC)

metouto

Contributor
Art
No, I was flustered because of that advertisement that keep bug'n me and did not explain it very good :oops: ....

*** note to self = tale deep breaths ***** now talk ......

Make sure you can see the textures you want inside IntelliJ = done

deleted the whole SAVED_WORLDS directory = done

we might need to do the remote thing again to check = yes, seems to be needed

Interresting ......

[0:Block:Air;id:0, 1:Block:Brick;id:1, 2:Block:BrickStairFRONT;id:2, 3:Block:BrickStairRIGHT;id:3, 4:Block:BrickStairBACK;id:4, 5:Block:BrickStairLEFT;id:5, 6:Block:CobbleStone;id:6, 7:Block:Companion;id:7, 8:Block:Dirt;id:8, 9:Block:Glass;id:9, 10:Block:Gravel;id:10, 11:Block:Ice;id:11, 12:Block:MantleStone;id:12, 13:Block:plank;id:13, 14:Block:portalBlock;id:14, 15:Block:Sand;id:15, 16:Block:Snow;id:16, 17:Block:Stone;id:17, 18:Block:Tnt;id:18, 19:Block:TorchBOTTOM;id:19, 20:Block:TorchFRONT;id:20, 21:Block:TorchRIGHT;id:21, 22:Block:TorchBACK;id:22, 23:Block:TorchLEFT;id:23, 24:plantBlock:BrownShroom;id:24, 25:plantBlock:Cactus;id:25, 26:plantBlock:Grass;id:26, 27:plantBlock:RedFlower;id:27, 28:plantBlock:RedShroom;id:28, 29:plantBlock:TallGrass1;id:29, 30:plantBlock:TallGrass2;id:30, 31:plantBlock:TallGrass3;id:31, 32:plantBlock:YellowFlower;id:32, 33:TreeBlock:BirkTrunk;id:33, 34:TreeBlock:OakTrunk;id:34, 35:TreeBlock:pineTrunk;id:35, 36:LiquidBlock:Lava;id:36, 37:LiquidBlock:Water;id:37, 38:Block:Bed;id:38, 39:Block:Bookcase;id:39, 40:Block:Chest;id:40, 41:Block:CoalOre;id:41, 42:Block:CopperOre;id:42, 43:Block:DiamondOre;id:43, 44:Block:GoldOre;id:44, 45:Block:IronOre;id:45, 46:plantBlock:DarkLeaf;id:46, 47:plantBlock:GreenLeaf;id:47, 48:plantBlock:RedLeaf;id:48]

.... no SnowSide block :eek:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
That's the listing of blocks, not images, so it shouldn't have SnowSide, GrassSide, or any other image-only name in it. There is no "SnowSide" block, after all, there's just a "Snow" block that is made up by the textures Snow, SnowSide, and Dirt :)

If you look under the listing of images you should be able to find the Side images etc.

metouto

Contributor
Art
:oops: you are so right :oops: :oops: and I am so embarrassed .... How could I make such a dumb mistake :shock: ... picture me with mouth wide open and foot sticking out ;)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
It's pretty easy to make, I've combed through one of those two outputs looking for something specific before for a while before realizing I'm looking at the wrong one :D

metouto

Contributor
Art
Let me ask a question here to help me understand things a little more ....

1) Is using the "grassside" block = there is a problem here because no matter what I do I can't seen to get it to blend from green to the darkest color of the beginning of the dirt block which is right under it ;)

2) Is the dirt block = now, the dirt block bends from light at the top to dark at the bottom really nicely (I think) ;)

3) Is another dirt block = now here we have another type of because it also bends from light at the top to dark at the bottom but that is not what we need here. Is not what we need here a 3rd dirt block that is solid dark brown block and is used in the game from here on down unless of course there is contact with a different type of block like maybe stone (which is the base block for ores) ;)

:unsure: Now, am I just making this harder than it should be or have I got my understand correct? :unsure:

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Blending beyond a single block at the moment is probably outside what we can realistically expect from the game. Dirt blocks don't pay any attention to what's above or below them, and I'm not sure how we'd elegantly make them go darker over several "layers" down

An alternative will come on the horizon sometime when we start making more distinct types of dirt and minerals, where we could divide the world into natural layers with lighter and looser types of soil near the top slowly changing to more compact soils deeper down, then minerals, solid rock, etc.

So I wouldn't worry about trying to do any sort of layering at present. Just aim to have the blocks look nice on their own and decent with any other current combination possible :)

I hadn't realized you were trying to blend the grass side with dirt like that - looks so smooth I completely missed it. Which is both a blessing and a curse, as you're realizing, as that part looks great - but is so very fragile since it also needs to look nice with other blocks :)

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Have you created a corresponding grayscale mask for the sides of the grass blocks? It is nothing more than the upper part of the grass (without colors) stored in the "effects.png"-texture-file. If not – this is what is fooling around with your grass texture! :)

metouto

Contributor
Art
Ok .... then I should stop playing with grass side dirt blocks?

Cervator, do you still think that the grass is still to smooth an should be made to look different or should I move to other things? I am using you input here because I don't seem to get any other :?

Also some blocks we use just seem to need to be changed ( :?: or maybe I just don't have an idea in my mind for something new for them (guidance here///) :?: ) . But the idea I have pick up here is that "we" would like to have blocks that are as nice looking as ones from Good Morning Craft! texture pack but made by us and are unique to our game ??? I have looked at other packs and see mostly the same thing in all of them :(

needs to look nice with other blocks
That is the "fly" in the "soup" that I run into on everything I try :roll:

BTW ... when you run the game in Intellji do you have problems with the torchs ???

begla » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:51 am

Have you created a corresponding grayscale mask for the sides of the grass blocks? It is nothing more than the upper part of the grass (without colors) stored in the "effects.png"-texture-file. If not – this is what is fooling around with your grass texture!

I think I understand what you are saying to me ......grass needs a corresponding grayscale mask .... I will need more info here because I have read or watched (video) nothing that has talked about this at all begla :eek:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Oh drat, totally forgot about that whole masking thing! Yeah, that'll totally complicate grass (and leaves), since those are made to be able to shift colors into several different varieties :(

We have some interesting potential developing for the Good Morning Craft! stuff that may radically change some things, waiting eagerly to hear how that'll turn out - it'll be obvious when/if it happens :)

In the meantime I might suggest a new focus: Make entirely new blocks that don't exist in the game / texture package. New minerals, new varieties of dirt, new furniture. I put a ticket in the issue tracker some time ago for that: https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues/87 - which eventually links you to this super nice mineral site at http://webmineral.com/help/Color.shtml which seems to even beat Wikipedia in thoroughness.

So currently our minerals are outright disabled, but if they were back in we'd have Coal, Iron, Gold, and Redstone. Last one we'd need to do something else with, not fair to re-use, but there's probably an interesting reddish mineral out there instead :)

The ticket lists a few other mineral requests, but beyond simply creating "silver, copper ..." etc I think going one step further (in the direction of Dwarf Fortress) and going for outright minerals (several of which may smelt into "copper") instead would be cool. For instance copper may come in "native copper" but also (as per wikipedia) "chalcopyrite and chalcocite are copper sulfides, azurite and malachite are copper carbonates and cuprite is a copper oxide"

So look up some of those examples on the mineral site, see if they look distinct, and pick 2-3 different ones to represent in-game :)

On the torches - they have gone funny for me a couple times, usually fixed by deleting SAVED_WORLDS