Groovy Console

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
The console looks awesome! :geek:

...but it does not seem to work correctly using OS X at the moment (the "help" command is not recognized and all the logging files can not be located). Just took a quick peek at the current status of the project. So maybe (or most certainly) I'm missing something.

Anton's listing of the currently available worlds is also not working using OS X. Will check using Windows if I find the time.

Anyhow. Great progress so far - love the direction the game is moving.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
my apologies, riding on windows myself here and no test environments available, so yeah I'll gladly keep pointers in mind to make my code multi platform, so any feedback is welcome.

like I mentioned before, help is not a groovy command atm... if making it a groovy command would resolve the issue I'll make that a prio. But now I check if the consolestring starts with "help" and execute a method from there, bypassing groovy manager.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yeah we might need some more options to test Macs, maybe a little VM farm for Jenkins to smack around with each new build :D

I pushed some more stuff around anyway, I like keeping the branch map tidy, then I try to strike by updating my local code to the latest, and by the time I'm ready and find time to actually code - I'm behind again :geek:

But one of these days!

For now we have the console and integrate + develop get along again with the latest slew of tweaks from Immortius. Including a tantalizing glimpse of, gasp, doors!

Jenkins behaved tonight and is still up. Yay!

Edit: By the way, Overdhose, after running the game the consolelog.json file seems to get updated. If it is a log file of some sort to recall recent commands, should we delete the file in GitHub and add it to the gitignore?

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
it contains the data from the last help command you executed, like if it was blockList it will contain the block list. I use it to laod data in the console, and it seemed a handy way to access the data if needed :D you can exclude it from Git and leave it empty, just don't remove the file itself, I didn't include code to generate it...
mostly because I'm still not very comfortable in a java environment and feel like reinventing hot water all over again. I'm actually starting to miss that valued devexpress license my old employer used to have hehe ^^

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks for the info, and no problem. If something like Ultimate IntelliJ would help (no clue if so) I think we could get a hold of an open source license for that :)

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
anch I grow in things eventually, but slower then most.

tried to make nifty to work with a side project I started, just got bored with it and still haven't even seen the sample hello world app work...

slowly starting to understand the working of Lloyds and voronoi, I'd like to see if I can puzzle something workable together. I looked over the remaining issues, nothing immediatly strikes my fancy, anything I could work on? That hollow tree perhaps?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
You mean https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues/90 ? That's an interesting area, tho it connects to a few other bigger topics

Simply making a hollow tree block that functions as a chest is easy. But the tree part makes it tricky, and was why I wanted to do that thing as an implementation challenge.

1) The need for a component that stores a collection of blocks that are part of a single object (what I used to call a meta-block; example: all the blocks in a tree) - yet is distinct from BlockComponent. I might still be stuck on a wrong way of thinking here, instead needing to reply on certain other events. Say if a player starts damaging a tree trunk, and the block pops, maybe that needs to trigger an event to look for other objects that overlapped that block and trigger events on them (affect the tree)

2) Defining trees themselves. Trunk blocks and leaves currently, maybe in-between branches later, fruits, etc. Some more on that over here (somewhat outdated): http://wiki.movingblocks.net/Main/Block ... ting_Trees - and also here viewtopic.php?p=1459#p1459 on how we might grow them down the road. But exactly how to track a tree as a unit, if we even need to anymore (I created those issues pre-entity system). Maybe-example: Have every block in a tree shake slightly if a player is damaging a trunk block (possible via arcane gpu magicks).

3) Defining ways for things to fall down - this relates to my beloved topic of block dynamics, integrity, and more per-block tiny data types (nibbles!). Not a terribly difficult topic, but pretty deep. There are a couple threads in the forum along with https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues/137 and https://github.com/MovingBlocks/Terasology/issues/140 - I'd love to see this area get some attention and there is a LOT of potential to it

They all sort of tie together.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
I'll read up / think about it...

but for now my mind saw something shiny and has a hard time resetting :D will get better once it gets bored with things it's not supposed to understand heh :p if that statement even made any sense.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
It does :D

(and jump on IRC sometime, shiny topics show up there now and then)

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
irc :D

I have to say, the only irc user i know scares me so much in his setup that I try to stay away from it. He also once stated he'd leave irc once he'd get la... yet here he is :D

but okay, I'll grab mirc

young kids and their irc mutter mutter

*raises pitchfork*
GET OFF MY LAWN

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
I finally realized my prob I had with git, and actually created a branch now called console in which I'll maintain the console.

last version is available, typing a help command clears the command and adds it to the chain, giveItem command was added.

Disguise command!!!!!!!!! :D That's awesome! :)

Example:
Code:
/disguse creature dragon blue

/disiguse creature wolf

/disguse player Cervator

/disguse race dwarf
We can skip the player disguse command (but why throw away a comand like that,hehe) if we make something like this.

What do you think?

Here's a link to a post about the dragons I mentioned: http://board.movingblocks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=263&start=20

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
I'll gladly add the commands but uch... as for the actual result of that command, you'd need some code to actually execute. I read about the dragons, would be a nice mod, sounds like someone has been watching how to train your dragon to much :p But i think it's a bit early for adding disguise commands when there is nothing to disguise in.

overdhose said:
I'll gladly add the commands but uch... as for the actual result of that command, you'd need some code to actually execute. I read about the dragons, would be a nice mod, sounds like someone has been watching how to train your dragon to much :p But i think it's a bit early for adding disguise commands when there is nothing to disguise in.
I wanna say three things right now:

1: It was an idea that could make sense later in the game development.

2: Why does all extra cool stuff have to be mods? Mods are, by my opinion, a little hard to install (i've actually not successfully installed a mod, ever). If you look at the black dragon example, the riddles would show you info about the world when completed, and with it being a mod, the creator of the mod could just write anything that does not really make sense with the game at all, and it would be bad for those who can't mod becouse they will maybe never have a chance of knowing these secrets. The riddles then turns into a bad idea and the whole black dragon idea becomes bad, and then dragon's is no mystery. Only something to think about.

3: I actually have wathed how to train your dragon sometimes, but that isn't why I came up with the idea. Dragons are just awesome, and with people flying around with their pet dragons all over the server should be kind of cool. :D

woodspeople

Contributor
Design
GoldenDragon said:
Mods are, by my opinion, a little hard to install
I wonder if "mods" is not the best word to be using? Mods imply modification, which is not exactly what we have been talking about. What about the word "plugin"? Or, drupal uses "module", that could work. People are familiar with these from things like the Gimp and Blender and a lot of other open source things. Plugins don't "modify" anything, and they are always easy to add and use. That is our plan, so why not use a more suitable word? Might clarify things?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yep, that was what I was trying to get at over here: viewtopic.php?p=2423#p2423

The current interpretation of "mod" is very vague and not at all limited to the MC-definition of "mod" as something put together by fans and tacked on to a non-existing mod system for the core game.

Currently you might as well think of our use of mod as "any content" - since the engine itself contains next to none of that, everything gets defined as a "mod" specifically so it is replaceable (as in, moddable)

Then the actual game you'd download would come with a while pile of content appropriate to each of a few game modes. Beyond that you could then "mod" the game further in the more classic sense of the word.

Like I wonder in the other thread maybe we should just outright make up a word (or series of words), so we can explicitly set meaning to reduce confusion (outside of the short period of time it would take a player to find the meaning of said word on the website or in the game client)

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
Like I said, I didn't just diss the idea, and I never claimed I didn't like it. If I used the word "mod" I did it because that seemed to be the generally accepted term at this point. If I actually knew how to make a dragon in blender who didn't look like a gnome my reaction would also be different if you catch my drift here. I just know at this point how much effort it is to create some basic stuff as an outsider who recently joined up here, and there is only so much you can do. But if textures etc are available, I'd gladly help in implementing the commands, that was my offer and it still stands.

woodspeople

Contributor
Design
I think coming up with another word than "mod" and using consistently, even if it is made up, would be better than getting in the (bad) habit of using "mod" with all its connotations. All the words I can think of that are in use are: plugin, module, extension, add-on, component, unit, element.

ironchefpython

Contributor
Architecture
GoldenDragon said:
Mods are, by my opinion, a little hard to install
Making a mod that is difficult for you to install could be a choice by the mod developer. The target procedure for loading a mod would be clicking a link on a web page that would launch an applet, and give that applet a game definition made up of mod urls which are loaded and applied automatically. However, your feedback has brought up an excellent point, and I can see circumstances where mod developers might want to intentionally make mod installation somewhat more difficult; so as to limit the user base to those who are capable of following simple directions.

I'll have to give the subject more thought.