Intro GSOC introduction

TomND

• Name: _Daniel "TomND" Horga_
  • Social: _ Github: https://github.com/TomND LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thomashorga _
  • Skills / Tools: _I am currently a first year computer science student at the University of Toronto. I have a lot of experience working with python through the various assignments from school. I've also spent some time working on some small game projects using the AndroidSDK and Java and I Also spent a lot of time working in the Unity3D game engine with C#, where I spent around a year making a game with some friends. Most recently I've been coding in python through my university courses. I've also worked with github before, however not ever on a project of this size._
  • Found via: _I found Terasology through GSOC._
  • Interests: _I've been highly interested in game development for as far as I could remember (at times more interested in making, then actually playing games). The reason I am taking computer science is to hopefully one day work in the game industry. For this project I am particularly interested in working on the Leap Motion implementation. ever since I tried an oculus rift i've been really interested in VR and motion controls, and think that adding Leap Motion implementation would be really interesting and fun._
  • Extra: _I don't currently own a Leap Motion controller (I just heard of it today), but plan to buy one ASAP. _
Overall I believe that this would be a really great experience to be a part of, and a great first step in working on a large game project and potentially getting experience with motion controls.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey there @TomND nice to meet you :)

The Leap is definitely a fun little toy, doubly so if you have an Oculus to strap it to. I've got both and am sure I've looked like an idiot trying to pop floating bubbles in VR :D

In fairness it would be a tricky GSOC item especially not having a unit yet with proposals due in two weeks. Our original prototype implementation and minimal lib attempt is 2+ years old at this point and I might have been the only one to really touch the code (now woefully out of date). If you want a chance to qualify for GSOC (and the odds are poor I'm afraid - check our main GSOC thread for details) you might want to look at one or more different items you can try to start examining right now.

Alternatively if you'd just like to break into game dev and play with something like the Leap whenever then we're here for that any time and I'd be happy to help guide and test there myself. I know there are some nice libraries out there for casting spells via gestures using the leap for instance and would love to see that work in Terasology one day :)

Edit: Oh and in any case please start by grabbing the source and making sure you can run the game that way. Then look around in our main GitHub repo for more doc and ideas and let us know if you have questions or would like more guidance :)

TomND

Hey,
thanks for the the response. I've decided not to do GSOC this year, but do plan to stick around in the community and work with the Leap. Once I get around to purchasing one, i'll definitely be around and see what I can do with it.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey,
thanks for the the response. I've decided not to do GSOC this year, but do plan to stick around in the community and work with the Leap. Once I get around to purchasing one, i'll definitely be around and see what I can do with it.
I appreciate you letting us know :) Do say when you get a hold of a Leap unit!