Intro Hello from the white north

Dliu

• Name: Dennis"dliu"Liu
  • Social: dliu1995
  • Skills / Tools: Java, C++, Unity3D, Unity for Oculus DK2, DIY HMD, Mediated reality system(haptic floors, stereoscopic projections, feet position tracking)
  • Found via: GSOC
  • Interests: Updating VR to support DK2, very interested to implement leap motion gesture tracking with VR
  • Extra: I love games, almost too much

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey @Dliu was nice to meet you earlier on IRC :)

As mentioned the GSOC interest has been immense. Check out our main thread here for some suggestions and disclaimers.

In any case you're welcome in our community and I hope you get to code to your heart's content, it is just a question if we can get Google to pay for it :D

VR and other stuff is definitely neat, I was due to get a haptic glove of some sort a month or two ago but ... Kickstarters ;)

In any case start out by cloning the code off GitHub, there are some extra instructions in the engine repo's wiki. Let us know if you manage to run from source or have any questions!

Dliu

Hi again @Cervator,

I have uploaded a proposal draft on GSOC through shared google docs.

The 3.0.0 release works well on my machine with both the launcher and source.

Very nice game I must say! I honestly did not expect this level of polished downloading and launching for the end user.

I researched a bunch more and I believe the easiest way to support new and upcoming HMDs is through OSVR.

My proposal is based on this approach, but it is still very short. Please give me any feedback you can think of.

I am SUPER PSYCHED to work on this!

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thank you for the kind words!

I see the proposal in the system. You might want to try expanding the timeline a bit and be sure you've looked at the existing code and have an idea of how much time it would take to make adjustments. That's tricky to get through this late in the game, as is submitting some PR with anything in it to show you can get through the whole flow from source to merged changed, but important too, so if at all possible please try! :)

The other mentors will likely have more feedback, I'm more backup and trying to catch up with the forum. Getting there but probably still a day out for any serious review + done reading everything here.