Help wiki plan, please review

woodspeople

Contributor
Design
Okay we'll use it :) To finish what we started, which was only intended to be a very basic set of information, it should not take too much more effort (even if there is some gnashing of teeth). We were thinking more of the future, as in, in the months to come, when TS grows, it might get harder and harder to use the Xenforo wiki. Unless it grows too.

One thing that bothered us was that because the supposed sorting facility in the page index didn't work, the design wiki ended up in alphabetical order, right smack in the middle of the the help topics. Which would totally confuse a new user. So if we were to abandon the design wiki in Xenforo, it would not matter much if the topics were alphabetical in that sidebar. That was half the problem. So we suggest either dropping the design wiki (and go back to using forum posts) or using a different wiki for design.

Overdhose, did you find any way to create links between pages in the Xenforo wiki? That was most of the other half of the problem. (Weird to find a wiki that cannot connect pages easily, that's kind of the point of a wiki.) Maybe we missed something in our search for answers.

BTW we think the Xenforo forum is excellent. Just not the wiki. Yet.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
besides the fact the words automatically reference wiki pages (like the word miniions will automatically link to the wiki page called miniions) there is no other way to link pages, except maybe using the templates and some smart naming/grouping of pages etc to actually create a table with links (like the example soul calibur page they demonstrate on their forum). But as far as ease of use goes, it's not as easy to maintain as other systems. I noticed we can create php templates, those are probably the last way to create some dynamic pages, but we'd need a db to save the data. I wanted to create a form where people could post their ideas etc, I found some basic php examples I could try out, but I have no way of saving the data for now. Maybe I'll have to check with Cervator what we could do there, but as he was busy with restructuring etc i didn't want to start about that possibility yet. I also have no xp how taxing that might become for the site itself, and would most likely be more suited for someone with more php experience.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about getting fancy. We have a form for submitting ideas already - the post message form over in the Suggestions forum :)

If single words (does it also work for multiple words?) auto-link to other pages that might just be what we should aim for, taking care to word links & name pages so everything will link nicely.

Yeah, prolly abandon the design wiki idea for now and just push the design forum more. We might need to remind ourselves to split out design topics that come up in normal threads, like the miinions -> creature definition questions bit.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
aye also works with multiple words, check Miniion roadmap in my example

woodspeople

Contributor
Design
Thanks overdhose that was just what we needed. That should make it easier to continue. With your permission we will change the "Design wiki" part of the wiki to be about your minion mod-module-thingamajig.

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
sure np there had even mentioned it on the page, edit away, their main purpose was an example