Inactive My thoughts on realistic water

Wernesgruner

I've been thinking a lot about some ways to solve the problems cause by adding a bit of realism to the water in a voxel based game. Here are some the concept and ideas that I came with. Please keep in mind that I will be working on this thread as I try to implement some of these features. So stay tuned as I will add some technical details and talk of the issues that I am encountering here.

World generation :

First of all, we could use a "sea-level" delilimit and set all blocks under this limit to be water. We could use a no-water flag to make sure that mountain valleys, canyon, caves, etc are not submerged when the chunk is being generated. I do not know how terasology’s world generator work, but that was the strategy that I adopted in Minecraft and it worked quite well! Of course Minecraft generator’s has triggers which help create a specific type of terrain with preset parameters, but I’m pretty sure this would be a good way to solve the problem of water world since no infinite water blocks could be generated above x level.

Thus all the water above the sea level *must* be "finite" or only generated in small amounts and it would also be paired with some form of water object/entity or meta-object/entity system.

Generators and sinks :

Infinite water generator. Aka ocean blocks

These block could perpetually generate water by making sure that their surrounding blocks are always at their maximum water level. Those should not be naturally (or artificially?) placed over the sea-level and they could be differentiated from finite water by being salty and/or polluted so as to make finite water more precious.

Moist system

Generators

Certain block could have a "moist" generator determinant and could be used to create glaciers and aquifers. They would create a small amount of water that would be fed to the closest water object.
The moist generator could also be joined to the water object and thus save us the need for constant scanning.

Sinks

All blocks could have an absorption level and above that level, the water could start passing down to surrounding blocks until they reached a sink.

It would basically be some kind of aquifer system. All the water passed to the aquifer from a “dry” block should be sinked. I imagine that water passed from the top should be sinked unless passed from an aquifer block. Anyways this system would require some testing from on my side for further clarification.

Water physics :

Limits paused by the infinite world

Processing power limit

Well let’s admit, water is yet but a feature and it shouldn’t be the feature that requires the most processing power. This is why we cannot have true water physics and thus why I will later introduce the water objects.

That means we need to find a way to simulate:
  • Streams
  • Ponds and lakes
  • Flooding/Draining
  • Hydrographic system in general
Static finite water or flooding events:
For small amount of water we could use a water system similar to DF. We use a x level water state system to simulate pressure. Water blocks will have a number assigned ranging x level and always try to average its surrounding blocks. Once it reaches the average level, it stops updating unless disturbed by some event.
Flooding event will most obviously require some way to make it easier on computers when larger events occur.
We could either use Finite Liquid’s solution; slowing down the calculation process or find a better way to manage flooding. For instance we could scan the floodable area and quickly calculate the results instead of letting the water propagate by averaging its water level.

Dynamic water
For a small amount of water released upon the world, you can refer to the static finite water suggestion and the moist sinks.
For all form of permanent or semi-permanent streams please refer to water systems.

Chunks loading/unloading
For performance reasons, it is simply not acceptable to rely on Minecraft’s current strategy: chuck loaders and/or partial loading.
Fortunately, I honestly think that with the proper information, we can extrapolate all the necessary information to make a viable finite water system for dynamic water. I won’t say this is going to be easy, but I already have some design ideas for a pressure system that extrapolates the maximum output from the pressure and the intake/reserve which could be accessed and saved by any chunk which contain a portion of a given water system.
This would allow us to have streams that find its source 30 chunks away, yet we would still be able to determine how much output it can give until the stream have to “end” at the intake, it would also be possible to determine when the water reserve of the hydrographic system deplete and the chunks which contain the reserve would then simply have to be updated when loaded to match the updated data saved by chunk that were loaded more recently.

Workarounds
We could have a regular averaging system for static water, and convert it to a water object once tapped. I imagine we could do the same for streams as well. The first blocks of a stream could be generators and the last one could be sinks and when the stream is not tapped. So yea, we only need realistic water when the player tries to interact with it.

Water system (meta) objects

System objects
A really cool water mechanic will have to work like a real hydrographic system. So why no treat systems as objects? For such system to work, every chunk will need to have information of the system. And this could be done by having a reference to a given system in each block susceptible of being part of an hydrographic system.
This mechanic doesn’t require to “know” the hydrographic system.

We simply need to have some basic information about its:
· Water intake
· Pressure for pressurized systems (piping)
· Reserves
· Its identity

So basically a water block becomes part of a system when it is in contact with blocks that are part of a system, that way we don't need to scan for x condition to establish a system object. It will propagate on the fly.

Water entity objects
There will obviously be some objects that require specific information. Streams will have paths, rivers will have sources, etc…
[To be continued]
Anyways, I will expand and edit this when I have more technical ideas and when I have explored the sources a little more.
I’d love some feedback and it would be great to have some ideas from you guys.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Nice write-up! Well done :D

I can see a lot of our existing ideas and concepts scattered in there and would love to see all the pieces get put together and implemented.

• Definitely want to see aquifers and pressure, and think this is doable (I've written up some stuff on it before)
  • Yup on some sort of meta information and averages to help simulate
  • Rather than defining oceans as the only infinite sources/sinks how about setting a threshold beyond which a body of water can count as infinite until impacted in some major way? Think a large crater lake high in mountains sourcing a few minor streams out. We can predict that rainfall should be able to sustain it, but rather than try calculating that in detail you figure out from the size (and maybe location) that it effectively counts as infinite supply at a certain rate to its exit streams (or infinite sink at a certain inflow). Yet if a player blows up the side of the crater wall suddenly there's a massive enough outflow to "break" the infinite nature of the lake, allowing it to drain rather than flood the whole world.

Nym Traveel

Contributor
Art
World
Looks solid :)
I definately want to see more in this direction :D
You certainly saw the real liquids thread - some interesting thoughts there.

I think I leave technical discussions to you guys, can't compete there ;)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Thanks for the update, sounds like great news! The more you keep in touch the better :D

Josh

Contributor
Hunter
Just a quick update, I've experimented a lot in the past weeks and I've manage to create some pretty interesting water physics. Its all dumb and only works in small ponds but its a start! I'll be committing on my fork soon enough!
Any photos/videos? So we can see it before it comes onto your fork :D

Darkhog

You should try to use Liquid Cubed engine by ZanMGT (people who are doing Blockade Runner). Dunno if it is open-sourced tho.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
You should try to use Liquid Cubed engine by ZanMGT (people who are doing Blockade Runner). Dunno if it is open-sourced tho.
I actually asked them about that already :) But alas, they aren't actively working on it or interested in collaborating with it since they're focusing on BR.

My understanding is that it was relatively straight forward (if detailed and neat) anyway as it was limited to a very finite simulation (a la DF). We could do that too in a finite setting - our challenges come from liquids in a vast world, like sorting out how to deal with a lengthy river

Darkhog

Well, I know they don't work on it, I'm just saying that Terasology community could take it over, if we would get our hands on sources.

Also, to limit simulation overheat, we could simulate water only in visible/loaded chunks. This way it would seem to work as it should, but at the same time, it won't put as much stress on CPU as simulating everything.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Well, I know they don't work on it, I'm just saying that Terasology community could take it over, if we would get our hands on sources.

Also, to limit simulation overheat, we could simulate water only in visible/loaded chunks. This way it would seem to work as it should, but at the same time, it won't put as much stress on CPU as simulating everything.
The trouble there again is something like rivers. If you aim for a world where water truly moves then you ideally need to have the whole river loaded at all times. If the source for a river isn't loaded, simulating its second half would leave it to run dry :(

I didn't outright ask them for source, I don't recall a lot of details for how likely/useful that would be. There are bound to be other good simulators out there, and the concepts of cellular automation are well understood and all over the place, like here's a quick article I found

Trickiness is the scale challenge :)

A'nW

Contributor
Art
Wow. That Liquid Cubed demo of ZanMgt is pretty cool. Hadn't seen it before.
As for having water simulation in the entire world, that sounds awesome, but extremely difficult. I have no idea how that would be done.
Just having realistic water sim locally around the player would be cool and probably much easier. Stuff like flowing rivers would be cool, but I don't know how that would be done.

Darkhog

Well, we don't have to have rivers actually move. Something like Finite Liquid MC mod would be good start and frankly it is fair enough for me.