To know me is to ....

metouto

Contributor
Art
Just a little post to let you know who I am…..

I am no computer techy (techy ... pertaining to a person of advanced technological knowledge and obsession. Someone who has the latest gadgets, and knows how to solve technology errors.) !!!!

I am not at all familiar with ….

Windows .... is something you open when you want fresh air and close when want to keep the heat in.

Intellij .... refers to the information that John Edgar Hoover (1935-1972) was able to get on people.

Git .... was something I could not have on my hands if I came to the table to eat breakfast/lunch/supper.

SSH ... might be the number the government give you when you go to work so they can track you.

GitHub .... is something dirty on my father’s car wheel.

Java ..... is something you drink.

Now, at age 64 (my birthday this year) you can see why I have not done any actual development on the computer unless you count the many time I created the all so well-known “Hello World” thing that every kid by 3rd grade knows how to do.

If you stop my story there it is a very sad one but it did not stop there. Ever sense I was a young boy playing pong on my Atari 2600 I have had a dream to create a game like that. I have spent almost 40+ years looking for a way to create that game and I was beginning to think I would never be able to make it. You see, my mother died of a brain problem that she has passed down to me and my father died in April of 2011 of a physical problem that he has also past down to me and if I live long enough one or both will have their effect on me. But this did not stop my search for my dream.

On Saturday December 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm I believed that I found what I was looking for and started to work through the Dev Setup page to put action to my dreams. But again I hit the wall of “you know too little to get this to work” as I did before with so many other attempt to see my dreams come true. I was almost ready to give up when I was told (by a very dear friend now) that Terasology chat was my friend and not an enemy to me. So, once again I began to hope and with many days work of fighting, not understanding, looking but not seeing, and out in out frustration to the point of wanting to pull my hair all out because I lacked the ability to understand what this dear friend was trying to get me to do and to understand through chat, I (with his help) have now worked through various complications and set up and fixed java, set up Intellij, set up Git + SSH, set up GitHub and now have arrive at a fully functional dev setup.

The point I am trying to make here is … I am 64 years old man with NO background in computers or computer games. But I spent 40+ years on a search and I am about to see my dream develop begin to take shape. Am I good ... no; am I better than I was before Saturday December 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm ... darn right I am. Do I still have problems ... yes, right now I can’t push/pull anything in Intellij so when I do create something for the game in Gimp2 or Paint.net (and that is another story researched and done mostly on my own not knowing anything) I have to post it for others to look at and show me how it looks. But with a little more work I will overcome this also.

Now, with this in mind could I ask … are you able to contribute something to this game? Have you been setting on the sidelines just looking in? Do you have more background in the area than me? If you do why not get off the sidelines and jump in and help us? If you don’t know too much but would like to help pick a spot you feel you could be good at and jump in … the people here are very friendly and very very helpful (but remember they also are busy) and will take time to help you out if you are willing to make a commitment to help them out. What do you say … want to be 64 years old with only a head full of dreams with nowhere to use them ???? or do you want to give it one more try .... it is up to you.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
It's been great helping out metouto, as he has the exact sort of "can-do" attitude that proves that anybody, regardless of the technical foundation they start with, can arrive at a goal that may seem distant, but is within reach if you just don't allow yourself to get discouraged.

And it helps to have a nice community to aid you along that road, which is exactly what I hoped this place could develop into. We're "just" developing an open source game, sure, but one of the critical goals we're also reaching for is to allow anybody to be able to contribute and see their work realized - which is happening for metouto now with 2D texture creation coming along nicely :)

Extensibility is key, the core coders can make the skeleton of the game take shape, but it is through the efforts of power users that we'll make it shine :D

So don't be shy, and forget any fears of not being good enough! Come join us on IRC, I'll be there myself as much as I can to help answer questions and guide people along. Don't feel bad if you don't get a reply right away, several of us leave the channel up and only check on it occasionally or when we hear personal messages. See http://wiki.movingblocks.net/Main/UsingIRC for more details :geek:

Kai Kratz

Witch Doctor
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
metouto said:
Just a little post to let you know who I am…..

I am no computer techy (techy ... pertaining to a person of advanced technological knowledge and obsession. Someone who has the latest gadgets, and knows how to solve technology errors.) !!!!

I am not at all familiar with ….

Windows .... is something you open when you want fresh air and close when want to keep the heat in.

Intellij .... refers to the information that John Edgar Hoover (1935-1972) was able to get on people.

Git .... was something I could not have on my hands if I came to the table to eat breakfast/lunch/supper.

SSH ... might be the number the government give you when you go to work so they can track you.

GitHub .... is something dirty on my father’s car wheel.

Java ..... is something you drink.

Now, at age 64 (my birthday this year) you can see why I have not done any actual development on the computer unless you count the many time I created the all so well-known “Hello World” thing that every kid by 3rd grade knows how to do.

If you stop my story there it is a very sad one but it did not stop there. Ever sense I was a young boy playing pong on my Atari 2600 I have had a dream to create a game like that. I have spent almost 40+ years looking for a way to create that game and I was beginning to think I would never be able to make it. You see, my mother died of a brain problem that she has passed down to me and my father died in April of 2011 of a physical problem that he has also past down to me and if I live long enough one or both will have their effect on me. But this did not stop my search for my dream.

On Saturday December 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm I believed that I found what I was looking for and started to work through the Dev Setup page to put action to my dreams. But again I hit the wall of “you know too little to get this to work” as I did before with so many other attempt to see my dreams come true. I was almost ready to give up when I was told (by a very dear friend now) that Terasology chat was my friend and not an enemy to me. So, once again I began to hope and with many days work of fighting, not understanding, looking but not seeing, and out in out frustration to the point of wanting to pull my hair all out because I lacked the ability to understand what this dear friend was trying to get me to do and to understand through chat, I (with his help) have now worked through various complications and set up and fixed java, set up Intellij, set up Git + SSH, set up GitHub and now have arrive at a fully functional dev setup.

The point I am trying to make here is … I am 64 years old man with NO background in computers or computer games. But I spent 40+ years on a search and I am about to see my dream develop begin to take shape. Am I good ... no; am I better than I was before Saturday December 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm ... darn right I am. Do I still have problems ... yes, right now I can’t push/pull anything in Intellij so when I do create something for the game in Gimp2 or Paint.net (and that is another story researched and done mostly on my own not knowing anything) I have to post it for others to look at and show me how it looks. But with a little more work I will overcome this also.

Now, with this in mind could I ask … are you able to contribute something to this game? Have you been setting on the sidelines just looking in? Do you have more background in the area than me? If you do why not get off the sidelines and jump in and help us? If you don’t know too much but would like to help pick a spot you feel you could be good at and jump in … the people here are very friendly and very very helpful (but remember they also are busy) and will take time to help you out if you are willing to make a commitment to help them out. What do you say … want to be 64 years old with only a head full of dreams with nowhere to use them ???? or do you want to give it one more try .... it is up to you.
You can ask me any time any question and ill try my best to help you.

metouto

Contributor
Art
Kai Kratz do you have $10.00 bucks I could borrow ... I'll pay you back on the 2nd Sunday of next week :laugh: .... All kidding aside Kai you can count on many questions to come. ;)

Kai Kratz

Witch Doctor
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
metouto said:
Kai Kratz do you have $10.00 bucks I could borrow ... I'll pay you back on the 2nd Sunday of next week :laugh: .... All kidding aside Kai you can count on many questions to come. ;)
Your welcome!