My love for Terasology!

For a long time I follow the Terasology project, I had various personal problems, but they always come back here, to test the improvements and growth of the project.

Terasology improved compared to some time ago, has better optimization of hardware resources (runs better on my PC). Unfortunately it is not yet available creative ways! I believe that this mode is the turning point for Terasology, many users have the desire to test the graphics engine to build impressive structures, and spectacular, and I belong to this category.

I drew a lot of textures for decorative mod I use to another sandbox game engine open source. I love the classic style of Minecraft, so no HD textures, and hexagonal objects, trapezoids, and more. I hope that you keep this style without altering the charm of Terasology. I look forward to creating a decorative mod for Terasology, and from what little I could see the modding is pretty easy right? I checked on github, and I saw that Terasology is structured in several modules, each module has its own task! very nice, and it should facilitate the proper development? I read the "CakeLie" module code Cervator, has about four years, it is old, but the code is very simple! I write the name of my mod, the name of the block (block ID) and call simply the name of the texture in my project folder, without specifying its extension file? than Minetest is much easier!

I saw now, that in the modules directory, there are all modules in jar format, then pseudo-compiled in java. It seems very easy, and well organized! I am working on reading the code of some modules, and I understood the structure of the project. Very impressive! if you are not mad at all, Terasology is structured really well, very very nice guys congratulations! A simple question for you, .block does not have the syntax highlight in the atom, and other text editor (maybe emacs), i think it is convenient to write the code in the .java and then rename the file in .block? I vote Atom Text Editor, it is the best at the time. I also use Eclipse and IntelliJ but to do modding prefer an editor faster.

Forgive all my questions, but the wiki is poor in content, and I'd love to get my hands on this project. My mod is almost ready (graphic content, I only need to understand how to implement everything, and test in-game.

Just today I started doing research to test my cool decorative blocks within Terasology. I hope to complete the work without problems.

Thank Cervator, Manu3D, Trekmarvel, and all team members, which in the past have been kind, and helpful to myself.

If you have any suggestions to help me create a simple mod to insert my blocks would be very happy. Thank you all, and Merry Christmas :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal Notes of 26/12/2016:

I understood many things about Terasology in just 2 days. Here is a list of the things I learned (I hope)

• Terasology is fully modular! there is a module (JAR Archive), for everything. Mapgen, caves, blocks, inventory, items, in-game menu, and more. This really makes it easier to develop the long-term project. Really nice, and well organized. Congratulations guys.
  • Realize mods is simple, so simple that I can hardly believe that I managed to edit, create, and optimize map MedievalCities (nothing advanced), I'm surprised, I was expecting a project outside of my reach.
  • The "MedievalCities" module is the one having the best optimization! is light, the villagers generation works well, the generation of maps is beautiful! lakes, oceans, deserts, valley, very consistent, no bugs of blocks suspended in the air, or craters in the ground generated bad. Very very nice.
I created my fork on github, I opened the project with IntelliJ, I read a lot of code (not an experienced programmer, but I find some things very intuitive), I am amazed! I can understand something, all it takes for me to "create" something good. Some things I did not understand, but they are small details that surely you will get to solve with a few answers.

I understand how to create the association of .block and .prefab file vscode (now working with atom), below I explain how to activate the syntax highlight for .block and .prefab.

In Visual Studio Code you can add persistent file associations for language highlighting to your settings.
json file like this:

// Place your settings in this file to overwrite the default settings

{
"files.associations": {
"*.block": "json",
"*.prefab": "json"
}
}

You can open this file via the menu: File > Preferences > User Settings.

This feature was first introduces in Visual Studio Code version 1.0 (march 2016).
Check the relevant text on File to language association in the release notes. All very simple. Obviously saved the "settings.json" file with CTRL + S, and you activate the syntax highlight.

Important:

User Settings, lets you create a folder within your project, called "vscode". When you distribute your project to other users, who use vscode, the settings.json file, located in the folder created, automatically configures the development environment, without the need to reconfigure everything. Vscode is very intuitive, and comfortable to use, if you use github and need powerful an editor, I recommend it. Avoid Notepad ++, no longer has reason to exist!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, I'm working on a very useful thing. A tutorial to convert 3d models Voxel, in Blender. In addition to the import of the file, I explain an easy technique, which I discovered thanks to my experiments continue, for the generation of automatic textures, converting .mtl file (material) in the textures! It is almost ready, as soon as I finish it public and share it with all of you.

I made beautiful textures for my experimental mod, I called "Tesseract", now do experiments with my build lightened. As soon as I finished doing the demonstration videos.

I optimized the Terasology options, removing the bloom, I dropped the chunk (viewing distance) and other things. It would be useful to the option item drop static (no drop physical blocks), I felt a release of Terasology about a year ago, and that options existed! the broken blocks, rotated in mid air, as MC. The physics in the blocks takes too much memory, how to put it activated option, not default, even blur possibly, the graphics engine is still magnificent, and runs better on economic pc. Terasology probably will be less heavy in his final release, he will not have all of these modules, and will be further optimized. You have done an incredible job, is simple, organized fantastically.

Thanks guys, Terasology has unimaginable potential! is not a clone, it is innovative, and flexible. While I take notes, and write my personal documentation, I continue to study this jewel.

My build, the first of the map test "MedievalCities", the next video will include my tests for building, and new blocks that I made.

27/12/2016 Realization Voxel Deer

I did a lot of research, and I took inspiration for the creation of 3D models of animals. I noticed that within the Terasology modules, there are experimental mesh, I saw the deer, and I wanted to draw it, in voxel style. I think the voxel technique for mobs, animals, and other organic forms, is the best artistic solution to Terasology. I love the classic style of Minecraft, so my goal is to make the simple Terasology content, light to the graphics engine, and strictly in voxel graphic style.

Here you can see my first experiment.

2D Image:

3D model render:

Note:

I can create textures with Blender, starting from material (the colors of voxelized mesh), I learned an easy technique, but very effective, to easily create voxel models, without the problem of material (Terasology that supports 3D formats ???). sketch design of other simple animals with the same technique, if you like my work, I open a new specific github account for Terasology and all the work I'm doing for the project (approximately one year). I made a promise to Manu 3D, Star Trek, and Cervator, then they disappeared for personal reasons (unemployed, family problems, and other personal misfortunes).

Thank you all! I hope to make it up with my commitment and my constant passion, who are with me for about 30 years. I update this post as soon as I finish the next jobs. I also have a beautiful skin textures pack and player designed from scratch (terasology needs dedicated textures). I have so much material to prepare (in just over a year I always resumed work when I time). I update you.

Last edited:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @Spaghetti Developer - nice (and very long) post! :)

To comment section by section:
  • On making .block files simply configure your editor to treat .block files as JSON then you'll get syntax highlighting. Doing that in IntelliJ as the preferred IDE is easy, probably it works in most other editors as well
  • For the wiki please let us know what kind of pages you believe are missing, we can't fix what we don't know about and favor fixing things we know people want :)
  • Dated entry logs in your thread here: I strongly encourage you to just add new posts in the same thread. That way you get the date + time of your post for free and anybody will be able to see when there are new posts (edits do not trigger notifications or make the thread look like it has new posts)
  • You were able to edit / optimize MedievalCities? Cool! What did you do exactly? Could we use it in the main module repo? You aren't limited to making your own mods, we want everybody's help in maintaining all the central mods (stuff under the GitHub org Terasology)
  • A tutorial or tool to help convert models from other formats like the voxel heavy tools such as VoxelShop to the exact format the game uses would be hugely useful. Looking forward to that!
  • It has been a loooong time since dropped blocks and objects weren't physics enabled. That's pretty much the standard now. Yeah with a ton of blocks flying around (usually from having used the railgun) that can slow down the game. There are various ways to help counter that, most simply limit the amount of blocks that can result from explosions. Adding an option to force all blocks/icons to drop as old fashioned 2d sprites without physics would probably be doable but some amount of work, and would need a volunteer interested in doing it
  • Nice video! It is a bit quiet though. Could use some narration, annotations, or music. Something :)
  • Great looking deer and monkey :) Have you seen the guide by @glasz about importing from Blender to the MD5 format the game can use? It is at http://forum.terasology.org/threads/blender-to-md5-howto.1020 - you could in theory also use Collada but I don't think we have any sample assets. @chessandgo is also familiar with the Blender addon we use. Would be great to see your models in-game!
  • Myself, @manu3d, and probably @Trekmarvel are still very much alive and around :D
  • Would be thrilled to see more of your work and graphics!
And thank you for all the kind words! :)

Hi @Spaghetti Developer - nice (and very long) post! :)

To comment section by section:
  • On making .block files simply configure your editor to treat .block files as JSON then you'll get syntax highlighting. Doing that in IntelliJ as the preferred IDE is easy, probably it works in most other editors as well
  • For the wiki please let us know what kind of pages you believe are missing, we can't fix what we don't know about and favor fixing things we know people want :)
  • Dated entry logs in your thread here: I strongly encourage you to just add new posts in the same thread. That way you get the date + time of your post for free and anybody will be able to see when there are new posts (edits do not trigger notifications or make the thread look like it has new posts)
  • You were able to edit / optimize MedievalCities? Cool! What did you do exactly? Could we use it in the main module repo? You aren't limited to making your own mods, we want everybody's help in maintaining all the central mods (stuff under the GitHub org Terasology)
  • A tutorial or tool to help convert models from other formats like the voxel heavy tools such as VoxelShop to the exact format the game uses would be hugely useful. Looking forward to that!
  • It has been a loooong time since dropped blocks and objects weren't physics enabled. That's pretty much the standard now. Yeah with a ton of blocks flying around (usually from having used the railgun) that can slow down the game. There are various ways to help counter that, most simply limit the amount of blocks that can result from explosions. Adding an option to force all blocks/icons to drop as old fashioned 2d sprites without physics would probably be doable but some amount of work, and would need a volunteer interested in doing it
  • Nice video! It is a bit quiet though. Could use some narration, annotations, or music. Something :)
  • Great looking deer and monkey :) Have you seen the guide by @glasz about importing from Blender to the MD5 format the game can use? It is at http://forum.terasology.org/threads/blender-to-md5-howto.1020 - you could in theory also use Collada but I don't think we have any sample assets. @chessandgo is also familiar with the Blender addon we use. Would be great to see your models in-game!
  • Myself, @manu3d, and probably @Trekmarvel are still very much alive and around :D
  • Would be thrilled to see more of your work and graphics!
And thank you for all the kind words! :)

Thanks to you Cervator. Yes, a new public response when the public updates, because I did not expect your answer to be sure that what I wrote you like! or not, now I organize everything, today I create a new account, a new github repository and more, exclusively for my vision of Terasology! I have many things to share with you, are really a lot, and slowly, I prepare all my material, to give greater interest and visibility to your masterpiece. Terasology excited me, he not has been seen for many years.

Answers to your questions:

• IntelliJ is fantastic! I had no doubt that the combination of the json file is easy to configure. Thanks for the info, you made me save valuable time.
  • For some time, I write notes, notes, and techniques for using graphics software you use. All this material, I want to share with you, to do this I will publish in my new github account, a repository where continuously upgrading the odt files that I write, and edit. It takes time, but I have found very useful and interesting things with Blender and MagicaVoxel! A few days and I'll be active on github with the first content that I created.
  • Of course! as I said above you, expecting a confirmation from you, now I'm more relaxed, and only update with new posts (edit anything, I promise).
  • My desktop is cheap, damn it! I lowered the graphics options, the viewing distance (chunk), I removed bloom, blur, vignetting, and I only left the light shafts. In my humble opinion, these optimizations help to make the engine easily usable on lower-priced PCs. For MedievalCities form, I noticed that runs very well, mapgen is fantastic, but there is a problem! the villages are very beautiful, and are generated very well (no interpenetration with the ground), have a blue identification number, probably for debugging and testing on your part? When villages generate, do it late, are not generated with the new chunk! suddenly appear in the area, two minutes before there is a valley, 2 minutes after the game freezes (5.6 seconds), and I understand that in the neighborhood has generated new village! lag continues exploring the village, which continues to generate correct generation (facilities and very beautiful), I have to find out what makes the generation of slow so villages. Study the form, although I'm not a programmer, I have the basics of Java, gained over the years, allowing me to understand (not everything, of course), where is the problem, and in the worst cases, optimizing the module changing some parameters (for example the density of the structures?). The desire, the passion, the ability to not give up for 30 years, allow me to win "almost" always against the computer (box without a soul, and reasoning skills).
  • The conversion of the voxel models, I resolved by time. I have everything you need to optimize 100% magicavoxel models, even I can import models while keeping the grid of voxels intact! nothing sides n-gons, and edited vertices, triangular, and other nasty things, immaculately clean and ready to model uv mapping. This was a great achievement for me, are months that I experimented with various extensions. I won.
  • I can not do, unfortunately I do not possess the skills necessary to work on complex algorithms, and physics engine.
  • The new video that I am creating for days, with music "Emotional-Folk Music - Vindsvept - Munin's Return", created by a very talented guy, this music is perfect for Terasology, is so beautiful and exciting, I hear it all the day I swear! the work of Vindsvept composition, are under creative commons license, I spoke with him, he is very nice, and happy to lend me his great artistic talent! Listen to the theme, it is like a child again suddenly.
  • Cervator, what I made you so much love! in a few days, a public presentation here on the forum, where I explain step by step my vision of voxels models, my texturing technique, and the animation technique! observes the deer! what do you see? I see a toy, where the legs, neck, head, have seams (Pivot), with limits set to a precise number of degrees! the deer is like a toy, a puppet, my artistic vision does not follow absolutely MC! but immortal masterpieces of the great Tim Burton, I am inspired to him for animations of my animals. Wait till you see my artwork, the finished models (these are the concept), I'm sure you'll like it a lot.
  • You will see everything very soon! your community, your project, represent everything I've always wanted (and searched for years). More use, and study, Terasology, the more I like! I can understand many things, and gives me the satisfaction, after so much effort! Terasology for me is not a clone of MC, my vision is to develop Terasology, including the basic features of the MC! Extend the exploration characteristics, fighting, RPG elements, more advanced NPC, finally my pets a lot more alive, realistic, maintaining the artistic style voxel art that I love very much. We do not imitate MC! we try to overcome it! we can do it, because the potential is there, and only serves commitment, passion, and observation capabilities and believe in ourselves!
Thanks to you Ceravor! I love california, unfortunately there have never been, I'm an eating spaghetti, Italy, Rome city. You're a guy with great talent, and you're also very humble, I read everything you write from about 2 years! I am your benevolent shadow. Thanks a lot my friend. Greetings.

With affection and admiration, the whole community Terasology.

Last edited:
Parla come magni hahahahaha :D Sono un maccherone Romano :) Grazie Trekmarvel, ho visto il tuo lavoro, hai tutta la mia ammirazione, soprattutto quando vedo ragazzi capaci come te, che credono! e portano avanti un progetto seguendo i propri ideali, e le proprie idee, senza mettere davanti il vile denaro, anche se è una risorsa molto importante in questo mondo precipitato nel caos :D Grazie di cuore, per le tue belle parole.

Sorry, Trekmarvel is Italian, I wanted to thank him by using the language of Dante Alighieri :D

TechnoPrometheus

New account for the forum, new account google, github, youtube, google +, and others. Now I have a space dedicated exclusively to Terasology! I'm going to create a dedicated space to the project, in my home country (Italy), it is an idea that in my heart for a long time, but the engine was too incomplete to do this. Now the time is ripe! so they are officially active, and during production. Thank you all.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
On Dynamic Cities, yeah it can trigger sudden lag spikes when something big generates. There is an incremental system (slowly changes only a few blocks at a time) that vastly improved that, but some small bug snuck in and it was disabled pending time from maybe @Cpt. Crispy Crunchy or @Skaldarnar to take a look. In the meantime we've been too busy with GCI :coffee:

Looking forward to updates! Happy New Year in the meantime :)

TechnoPrometheus

On Dynamic Cities, yeah it can trigger sudden lag spikes when something big generates. There is an incremental system (slowly changes only a few blocks at a time) that vastly improved that, but some small bug snuck in and it was disabled pending time from maybe @Cpt. Crispy Crunchy or @Skaldarnar to take a look. In the meantime we've been too busy with GCI :coffee:

Looking forward to updates! Happy New Year in the meantime :)
Thanks Cervator! As always, you're useful and accurate in your answers. MedievalCities is all written in json, I only need to understand how the code was generated coordinates of the blocks, I do not think it was written by hand, but with the use of a tool? However my tests give good fruit. The lag occurs because the villages generate much later chunks of the map. I have to figure out how to perform a generating force of the villages, that activate the process to limit the range of vision of the player. I really enjoy studying Terasology.

I do not promise miracles, because it will take time to understand the project. Meanwhile work on graphic content, and ideas under development :)

Happy 2017 everyone!