[Sep 29, 2012] Terasology 1st birthday! (Google Hangout)

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Update: Moved the event attached to this to Saturday September 29th at 10 am EST with the idea of starting a marathon Minecraft challenge of defeating the Enderdragon on a brand new world with one life per player - while broadcasting via Google Hangouts :D

I was beginning to think about when this would be, so I dug out the first ever thread posted back when it was just three of us in a hidden forum. It was September 26th 2011 and the thread is now over here: http://forum.movingblocks.net/threads/here-we-go.1/

That's also an example of what nefarious and amazing secrets lay hidden and forgotten in the old Core forum - I'll try to dust some more of the threads off and expose them in the bright sunlight as the Illuminati-level secret plots they are! :D

There's about three and a half months to go to that date. I wonder if we can get to the first super milestone (Genesis?) by then. Not quite Alpha, but milestones 4 (interaction) and 5 (modding) could probably be ready, if not 6 (multiplayer) outright. We could have actual playability! :eek:

No idea yet on how to celebrate. If we have multi, then probably set up a server and try to crash it, tho it is a Wednesday (doh!) - I'd be willing to take a half-day for that tho ;)

metouto

Contributor
Art
;);););) WOW;);););)

Date Terasology Started: Monday, September 26, 2011
Date I joined in: Monday, December 24, 2011
It is 89 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date
Or 2 months, 28 days excluding the end date
Alternative time units

89 days can be converted to one of these units:
  • 7,689,600 seconds
  • 128,160 minutes
  • 2136 hours
  • 12 weeks (rounded down)
How did you live that long without my blocks(JK :thumbsup:)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
You joined in the future? :rofl:

metouto

Contributor
Art
10:45 pm at night I need to be up at 4:00am and all I can think about is Terasology :speechless: ..... There might be something wrong with me :cautious: .... any way edited my other post (thanks Cervator) :sleep:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hehe, no problem. And yeah, Xenforo.com is already back online, they caught their domain's broken auto renewal pretty quick, but it was still funny ;)

Nym Traveel

Contributor
Art
World
Rainbow for the milestone thingy ;)

Some party would be cool ;)
In September I probably have time, too ;)

GOOOO Terasology :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yep - I'll update the original post here sometime with more info.

Unfortunately I don't think a lot of us will be able to attend a LAN party in person, but if some happen to be in close physical proximity and want to try for that, then cool! Mainly I expect us to do it online and get the Hangout effect from Google. Up to 10 people can be live-streaming their session and all that gets stored to Youtube so we could edit together a nice video with the highlights at the end :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps

Nym Traveel

Contributor
Art
World
And I'd definately say we invite Gronkh. I mean: he can't do more than say no and if he attends we get again a huge publicity. Would be very cool to play with one of the most famous youtubers out there :)

ps: physical party would be where? (if organized^^)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Somebody else would have to figure something out if there should be a physical location (or locations) - friends getting together to be a few people at the same place etc :)

We have a lot of people in Germany (obviously), I suspect if somebody started asking around and had a suitable place handy something could develop. On the other hand I doubt we have a whole lot of people in the Florida Panhandle ;)

And sshhh, I was trying to look into inviting a surprise guest, but I suppose that would be fairly obvious... :p

Nym Traveel

Contributor
Art
World
surprise guest mentionned in the logs from the devmeeting? :p (yea, I read it all :O )
Birthday Event! basilix would love to make it but has no account - make a Gooey guest account? Gronkh invite? :D

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
surprise guest mentionned in the logs from the devmeeting? :p (yea, I read it all :O )
Whoops, didn't mean to include the top part, thought I had taken that out. That was my personal notes. Yeah, that makes the idea even less of a surprise, doesn't it? :)

Took that part out real quick. I figured a floating "Gooey" MC account might come in handy now and then.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Bump :)

I've spent part of what little time I've found the last three evenings playing with MC server setup so we can have our little birthday event. I managed to somehow get a Tekkit server working with Mo'Creatures as well as a Minions mod that seems very apt for our situation - very much what overdhose would've driven Miniions toward, Dungeon Keeper inspiration and all :)

Tested it with the help of Aperion (thanks!) and was surprised to have it work first try hosted from my desktop PC. So maybe setting it up on our web host won't be that bad :rainbowdetermined:

At first I was thinking vanilla MC for the birthday event, like the inspiration source from NODE, but after thinking about it (and especially after finding and making the minions mod work) - how about just doing it modded style? Mo'Creatures will up the challenge factor quite a bit, while Tekkit will drop it again (maybe honor system no crazy uber weapons or something)

For those unfamiliar with Mo'Creatures (spoiler alert!) check out this wiki page: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Mods/Mo'_Creatures

The minions setup is pretty goofy and just takes level 8 + clicking a few silly buttons. Matches the cartoony evil from DK, but should prove very useful in experimenting with helpful creature assistants to envision Terasology helpers. Mainly they help you mine / chop down trees

I'll try to get the server online 24/7 for testing and getting a little familiar with the mods. Aside from downloading the latest Tekkit it just takes dropping four zip files in the local tekkitlauncher directory. Instructions later

Aperion

Contributor
Bump :)

I've spent part of what little time I've found the last three evenings playing with MC server setup so we can have our little birthday event. I managed to somehow get a Tekkit server working with Mo'Creatures as well as a Minions mod that seems very apt for our situation - very much what overdhose would've driven Miniions toward, Dungeon Keeper inspiration and all :)

Tested it with the help of Aperion (thanks!) and was surprised to have it work first try hosted from my desktop PC. So maybe setting it up on our web host won't be that bad :rainbowdetermined:

At first I was thinking vanilla MC for the birthday event, like the inspiration source from NODE, but after thinking about it (and especially after finding and making the minions mod work) - how about just doing it modded style? Mo'Creatures will up the challenge factor quite a bit, while Tekkit will drop it again (maybe honor system no crazy uber weapons or something)

For those unfamiliar with Mo'Creatures (spoiler alert!) check out this wiki page: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Mods/Mo'_Creatures

The minions setup is pretty goofy and just takes level 8 + clicking a few silly buttons. Matches the cartoony evil from DK, but should prove very useful in experimenting with helpful creature assistants to envision Terasology helpers. Mainly they help you mine / chop down trees

I'll try to get the server online 24/7 for testing and getting a little familiar with the mods. Aside from downloading the latest Tekkit it just takes dropping four zip files in the local tekkitlauncher directory. Instructions later
A little feed back, I signed onto the MC server I typically play on and had some conflicts between the minion mod and IC2, for me it was the mining laser. m+right click switches modes for the laser, but for minion mod it asked be if I wanted to join the dark side or something. removing the minion mod got things working as before in tekkit. perhaps there is a way around it but I've never used the minion mod before.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Ahhh, right, 'M' is the minion management hot key

Easy fix: Go to Options in-game, Controls, and switch the mode key :D

I don't see the minion hot key listed in there, 'M' is also "mod list" by default it seems

If you're too used to 'M' for mode (I hadn't even tried the mining laser yet, wee!) you can seemingly change its hot key in the mod_minions_evils.cfg that goes in the .tekkitlauncher mods dir :)

Perdemot

Contributor
Art
World
Hopefully I am there :S
I took the 25th off, but I'm not sure how it is about the 29th

EDIT: I'm free so count me in :3