Alpha 3 released, multiplayer test event in about 48 hours

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
In advance of the multiplayer test event this Saturday I've released Alpha 3 on GitHub, should also be available via launcher and so forth.

This is mostly a checkpoint release with a ton of GSOC changes along with some module work

The multiplayer test event will use the in-game listing for "Event Server" and be coordinated on IRC to test out a few different things like the Dynamic Cities. Expect crashes! :)

Note: The config.cfg file in an existing game data directory must be deleted once if you reuse an old game data directory. Some configuration keys have changed. There are also library changes if you are running from source but haven't updated since the last release (re-run something like gradlew idea to get the latest dependencies)

Primary engine changes:
  • Lots of changes to rendering from @tdgunes as part of his GSOC project to implement a DAG pipeline (try out F3 then F9 to get the wireframe debug rendering view)
  • Lots of improvements to @Rostyslav Zatserkovnyi's NUI editor that can be used in-game now to make nice new UIs. Also GSOC.
  • Assorted bits of engine support for other modules, such as @xtariq for TTA / JS modules and @Skaldarnar for L&S
  • Some network hardening by indianajohn that handles initial disconnects and module transfers better
  • Neater new config options by @manu3d to allow subscribing to config changes
  • Our CrashReporter can now be embedded into a Terasology workspace as source to make it easier to work on
  • Various minor bug fixes and translation work - also see the closed issues on GitHub for the release
Modules:
  • PhysicalStats and Equipment modules have arrived, including a character screen accessed via c - your character can now equip things that increases overall damage and such.
  • GooeysQuests has been enhanced a fair bit by @Florian, now generates small procedural dungeons in different shapes including chests containing items (including gear you can equip). Some related work on Structural templates have made it easier to make new templates for buildings (also in use in DynamicCities)
  • DynamicCities is moving right along with @Cpt. Crispy Crunchy's GSOC project, growing nicely now and getting into market dynamics for supply and demand
  • Light & Shadow is moving again with a new magic dome covering the center of the world, meant to later restrict the play area. Could perhaps even constrict it over time like Crowfall's hunger dome? Note: A known issue exists where the player may spawn outside the dome with some world seed values. This usually ends poorly...
  • Assorted tweaks over the Throughout the Ages and JoshariasSurvival module lines

Last edited:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I brought up the event server early this time, no last minute "Let me do a release real quick then build a server" this time :D

DNS on NameCheap appears to not update as fast as DigitalOcean though, so testserver.terasology.org isn't resolving yet so the listed entry in-game doesn't work. Can add a custom entry for 188.166.153.157 and connect fine. At present the server is running JS + Cheats + Lakes + Soundtrack volume one. Also, Lakes isn't in the lineup yet. Wat. Must fix.

I will be on in about 12 hours and expect we'll reset the server several times and mix in different modules, like the latest from @Cpt. Crispy Crunchy or @xtariq or even go for a later develop build if something engine-y is needed. In the meantime lets see if the server survives 12 hours! Feel free to hop on and check it out, just use the Alpha 3 release build.

If the in-game listed server entry still isn't working for everybody I'll switch it to a .net address or something still on DO and see if that resolves faster.

@Cpt. Crispy Crunchy - if you'd like a newer DynamicCities etc and can push to master branches so I can grab builds easily from Jenkins that'd be handy :)

Parnikkapore

Missed it again :(. Is there any plan of events in Singapore timezones?

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey @Parnikkapore - sorry about that. Singapore is tough, as is Australia which has also come up in the past. Sometimes we try to start early (so it'll just be late evening over there) or even late so it'll be early next morning, when we know somebody would like to be present from over on the other side of the planet. If on a future event announcement you signal your interest in attending we might be able to stretch either side a bit :)