Suggested Alternative graphics mode

What do you think?

• Total voters

Wolfgange

For those that want to play Terasology but have an older computer and either it crashes or runs too slow, I am suggesting an option (I'm assuming it would be logical to put it as a command line argument when executing the Terasology executable) to use a basic rendering engine. This engine would be whichever seems most logical from a programming perspective, but still widely compatible with older cards. What it would render would be something as minimal as:
  • 3D physical blocks without transparency/other fancy stuff
  • Block textures to identify blocks
  • Meshes such as AI in L&S would be a simple collision box of some sort (Unless it's easier to just include meshes)
  • No lighting/shaders whatsoever
The focus would be to allow others to experience the game play elements by eliminating everything that is unnecessary for simple game play. Aside from that, ideally it would work well enough with the current rendering methods so that it adds no extra maintenance to the project (Meaning so that if something in the future is added with the current system, it will work with the minimal render engine).

Oops, I added a random misspelled word in the poll. Is there a way to edit it?

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Poll tweaked, better now?

As for the idea this is almost exactly why @Mike Kienenberger made the AWT (2D) facade so he could run the game on an old laptop without fancy 3D graphics :D

That might be a tad overkill vs. what you're suggesting though. Yeah we definitely need a broader range of graphic settings in-game, especially in the lower end. I see that as a beta level item - polish - since we don't know for sure what else we'll break while lots of big changes still happen. Does that sound reasonable? :)

Wolfgange

Poll tweaked, better now?

As for the idea this is almost exactly why @Mike Kienenberger made the AWT (2D) facade so he could run the game on an old laptop without fancy 3D graphics :D

That might be a tad overkill vs. what you're suggesting though. Yeah we definitely need a broader range of graphic settings in-game, especially in the lower end. I see that as a beta level item - polish - since we don't know for sure what else we'll break while lots of big changes still happen. Does that sound reasonable? :)
Yeah, that would probably be a better idea. So implement it after all the main features are added.

Mike Kienenberger

Contributor
Architecture
GUI
Well, my inability to run Terasology "in real time" as always been a stumbling block :)

I admit that I haven't really tried to do so since April as my summer has been consumed by other things.