Any backend coding needed?

mike

Hello there! I've not been present here for a long time (about a year now?). Maybe you can remember me, i've proposed you a help with website design/coding. A lot has changed since then in my life, i was really busy had no time for anything, even writing back and when i've finally find few seconds, i've noticed that you have a new forum and i was not able to continue my thread anymore.

Anyway - i can see that things with terasology are going really fine. You're doing some amazing job out there :) I'm not that much into design now days but i just wanted to let you know, that if you'll ever need some help with backend coding (like online user accounts, sync online account manager with ingame account or something like that) i'll be more than happy to help you with that.

Someone in my previous thread mentioned ruby on rails - yes, that's the technology i would like to use cause i'm working as a RoR/angular.js programmer and i'm sure we can make something nice in here. Website is done as i can see so you'll not probably need any help with it.

Keep up the good work and sorry for everything!

Take care,
Mike

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi mike ! Yeah nice new website now, and yes we could probably use some help in that area :)

Right now most our stuff is existing apps / services - GitHub, the Xenforo-powered forum here, Jenkins for builds, and so on. The closest thing to Ruby would be some custom scripting to interact with the GitHub API since their primary API OctoKit is in Ruby.

I'm secretly hoping to integrate an external issue tracker with the GitHub issue trackers per repo - so one external tracker like JIRA synchronizing with many individual issue trackers on GitHub (with modules/plugins getting one GitHub repo and tracker each). That would make overall project management easier down the road when it gets crazy.

There are also an assortment of issues for our splash site but then that's only a really light-weight HTML site with some Ajax. Might be easy though and would be very appreciated. Other issues are in the TeraMisc repo which focus on our IRC bot Gooey (in coffeescript) - I expect to be adding other system admin type tasks on there as well.

Finally down the road we might need a module browser website - Philaxx already has http://terasologymods.net set up, unsure what it is written in or if RoR would be handy there

How's that? Anything sound interesting?

mike

Ok, just for now i can say i will try to play around with your IRC bot. I will also have some questions about your website and overall website-related project structure but i'm going on holidays for this week and i'll be back on monday. See you then ;)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Hey mike :)
To the point of module browser side, we would like to interact with it from the launcher. So, we would need some kind of good API for that. The main tasks would be to show and search for mods, detect updates, ...
But as Cervator said, it's still down the road ;)

mike

Well, the MOD database page is also in my range of interest and ror is a great tool for such thing cause it let's me create a web app with solid API sticked to it. However, i'm not sure if the therasologymods.net is an official mod database website. If so, my work in this area is probably not neccesarry ?

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
I would say its semi-official :D Its a sub page of the German forum, so maybe its not a bad idea to start from there... Anyway, all of this needs a lot of work, and I think especially the backend :D Although, I would postpone the mod stuff until the modules are refactored into their own repos.

mike

Ok, i see ;) Well, i think i will make my own attempt of creating a mod database, just for fun, for myself. If you would like it, i'll give it to you. The second "just-for-fun" project is a main website design (i'm currently trying to do some design work for actually anything, just to learn anything and i think terasology is a good opportunity). I'm not saying the current page is bad or something, i just want to play around + i feel a bit guilty that i didn't made the first version ;)

Anyway, my main goal would be to try to make some pull requests to your irc bot.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
mike - if you'd be willing to work within Xenforo (php) on applying useful addons, tweaking the templates (lots of little quirks are still active), and other similar good stuff that would be great too. This site does need more work for sure :)

I would like to have a single mod tracking site that's internationalized, so yeah terasologymods.net is a good start. Alternatively writing a XF addon for something like that (I'm sure there are already similar addons) would be another interesting option, or at least some sort of LDAP integration so you would use the same user here on XF as well as on the mod tracker. I'm open to consider different designs although we could end up spreading effort too wide.

As always don't reinvent the wheel! Reuse ftw :)

mike

Yes, reinventing the wheel is not a best thing to do but we can take inspiration from working examples :) Like this one:

https://www.ruby-toolbox.com

That's actually a website which works the same way as terasology mod website imo should. You have categories and projects (which are ruby gems on ruby-toolbox) connected to github repos (to get usage statistics etc.). I need to make something like this anyway (as a thesis) so when i would have something to show you, i'll send you the link :) I've read some stuff about xenforo and integration will be possible as far as i can understand the docs.

The website work is done in maybe 20% but here is the current attempt: http://mikebajur.com/projects/terasology/

Please note that i will finnish both of those projects anyway (just for my personal needs, it's kind of a lesson for me) so don't bother to refuse using them :)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Site isn't loading for me :(

At least not from work - or is it just not up right now? Took me a few days to catch back up with the forum.

begla

Project Founder and Lead Developer
Contributor
Architecture
Logistics
Website looks really cool! Very modern and "stylish". Only thing is that the background image doesn't scale to the full size of the browser, but that surely is a very minor issue.

Keep up the good work!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Yep, looks very nice, other than the minor background image thing :)

mike

Ok, here is the pre-alpha version of mod database i'm creating:

http://mikebajur.com:3000

Feel free to sign-in with github account (public email required!) and do anything you want (you can add a project from your profile page [click on your name in header nav bar])

Website works like shit cause i have probably the worst VPS on entire planet. If anyone want's to share something better for this purpose, please drop me a line.
Design and functionality are pretty basic. I'm doing this app for about 1 day so it's more like a preview but i'm sure i'll spend some more time on it this week. Any feedback welcome!

Of course it's opensource: https://github.com/mbajur/terasology_mods

mike

Yeah, cool, it can be helpfull when i'll be implementing sign-in using xenforo accounts :) Cause it's a PHP script i suppose

mike

Sure thing. Basically it should be based on oAuth in my opinion so you'r job would be to investigate if that's possible with xenforo and if there is no such plugin - to create one. But first we need to wait for Cervator or begla or any other admin to tell us if they are interested in my script and if they want to use it for terasology. No rush.

NowNewStart

Contributor
Sometimes I hate that this Forum has XenForo, when we would have Burning Board this would be simpler (cause it's free :D) and I already made a Script for that :D