Featured Architecture discussion: extensible & performance friendly crafting, material classification, machinery, networks ...

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
For years now we've gone through a series of various crafting systems, ways to categorize materials, using machines, and defining various form of networks to route just about anything around. Plenty of experiments and actual content, but nothing yet has stood out as a clear standard to build all the other things on top of.

From BlockNetworksto SegmentedPaths, from ModularComputersto NetworkTransport, from WorkstationCraftingto BasicCrafting, from GrowingFlorato EdibleFloraand SimpleFarming, from JoshariasSurvival's initial sets of machinery, pumps, crafting, ducts, conveyors belts, pipes, and so on to its attempt to better define the SubstanceMattersworked with. I could keep going, but suffice to say we've tried a bunch of things but haven't really put all the pieces together just yet.

One of the proposed GSOC projects, by @asie, known for working with Minecraft mods like BuildCraft and creating Charset among other things, is approaching something like an overall framework to help a lot of those topics along. Whether or not that proposal turns into a project it is a topic a lot of us have put a lot of thought into over the years. The architecture in MC differs from ours, yet where it may suffer from awkward engine features we can surpass it certainly has powered a lot of fun times for millions of users.

I've personally hosted a couple panels on Terasology in the Better Than Minecon conferences asie hosts/participates in from time to time, so for the occasion I asked if he'd help run a similar thing for us on the topic. I'm expecting this would be an hour or two this Saturday, probably hosted on the main bridged Terasology chat channels (IRC/Slack/Discord).
  • Intro by asie on who he is for those unaware, what he has been doing on the topic in Minecraft land, and what he has learned that relates (fun & performance)
  • Any intros from our side for those with experience in some of the existing systems we have (the module list above and so on) to cover their pros and cons
  • What to do next: what can we learn from past efforts both on our side and in MC land?
    • Short term - material libraries and generic crafting?
    • Mid term - better centralized and extensible APIs?
    • Long term - coarse grained simulation in sector scope?
My goal is to begin a group that can curate this topic in the future, be it normally or with GSOC project(s!) over time, as well as start some central planning and diagramming

Anybody curious please indicate the best times for you (and your name - I have a few particular contributors in mind I'd really like to make sure to reach) on this Doodle poll

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Every poll participant seems able to make one slot: 9 am eastern time Saturday, so I guess I'll be getting up early! ;)

I set the option as final on the poll so maybe that emailed people. A few can't make it at first but I should be around all day so I can catch up others later and continue the discussion as needed.