Request Art request - mascot, logo, badges

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
I mentioned this a time or two - I'd like for us to declare the Gelatinous Cube our mascot and come up with some graphics for the shiny new forum with that in mind. Both some general mascot graphics and specific requests (below)

As also mentioned elsewhere GelCubes' inner cube used to be a fair bit smaller, which inspired the idea of actually making the inner cube display an arbitrary block or object - which could work both in-game and out-of-game. Goes with the very origin of the GelCube and what it does in D&D - swallow stuff and dissolve it.

For extra creepiness factor in-game we need a perfect "smoosh" sound as a GelCube envelops something, and eventually make them able to climb walls and stalk ceilings, dropping out of nowhere on an unsuspecting player ;)

Badges we can add by assigning styles to groups - example here: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-group-badges-per-usergroup.588/ - we'd probably want to add a little GelCube icon to the right side of the badge or something like that. Each badge would likely have a main color to the badge itself, spaced apart from the others, maybe matching issue colors on GitHub?

Mascot - any sort of GelCube that might work for some reason
Logo - maybe a happy green GelCube with a bit of the "motion" effect to it from the MovingBlocks logo? Containing something... maybe the MB logo block itself? Dunno. Both a solo version of the GelCube and a wider one also containing "Terasology" ? (for the logo up top in here)

WorldGen badge -GelCube holding a globe within itself?
Designer badge -GelCube holding a scroll? Notepad?
Artist badge - GelCube containing a brush? Boring? Palette? Mona Lisa?
Architect badge - GelCube containing architect tools? Blueprints?

Might be more groups coming...

Example GelCubes:
http://api.ning.com/files/2IsYL50eXdv9mlgtdkR9xRhclbqBlRQQM8JcO--wMo4k6hG0s6OlT07qXO1xzxM3/GelatinousCube.jpg?width=650&height=520
http://loadingreadyrun.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/inside-4e/IMG_6900.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UC6wGUZJLlI/TOGWMgmun0I/AAAAAAAAAXY/dvCnr-BckKc/s1600/IMG00160-20101115-1318.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/Boggs6ft7/Gelatinous%20Cube/CubeParty.jpg
http://rpgobsessed.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/gelatinous-cube.jpg
etcetcetc

glasz

Contributor
Art
On my todo list, but i dont think i'm very good at pure graphic stuff like that.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Okay - somebody please save all of us from my terrible Gimp skills and get us some badges that at least have rounded corners and some gradients or something! Doesn't need to be fancy, but my little "Design Team" placeholder might just be worse than not having badges at all :D

On the plus side.. it works!

(Four initial badges: "Design Team", "Art Team", "World Team", "Architect" - different colors)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Shiny - I see them in the individual layers in Gimp, but don't really know how to get them out :(

Good start tho, that would be about exactly what we could attach to the side of the badge among other things, just shrunk a fair bit. Badge itself is 120x30 currently. I guess font size would need to be tweaked to fit both text and a decoration cube.

metouto

Contributor
Art
OK here is a dumb question ... we talking 120 x 30 piels here :unsure:

overdhose

Contributor
Design
World
GUI
yeah Metouto that's exactly what it means.

metouto

Contributor
Art
Would this be close to what you are looking for ........

badge.png

then with the titles .......

badge2.png

this is not to good ..... it was just a quick working to see if it was along the lines you were thinking about. Color could change on inside and lettering for different badges :coffee:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
metouto - yeah, that's pretty good, actually. Maybe a slightly wider band so the text can be slightly bigger and more visible? That'd be a great start if you could make all four in different colors :)

Long-term I'd like to embed a topic-customized GelCube into the badge somehow, probably sitting either at the left or right side of some sort of bar - matching with the overall GelCube mascot idea we can reuse in other graphics

overdhose - niiice. I want one.

dei

Java Priest
Contributor
Design
Art
Switzerland, midnight in my flat I found this creature lurking around. So I catched it in a little gelatinous cube and uploaded it into the forum, maybe it can be used in Terasology ;)...
0001.jpg

Blender sources included.

What do you think? Usable?

Attachments

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Much liking for both ribbons (dropped some feedback on IRC) and GelCube - which is just about exactly what I had in mind, a cube but not a perfect block so even shrunk down you can see slightly rough edges and hopefully still make out the object in the center (might need to be a slightly more simple object so you can still see it while small?)

Small version might need to have text next to it, but that's the exact sort of Blender thing we need to base a series of different mascotty things on :D

metouto

Contributor
Art
Cervator here are my revisions with feedback from IRC ;)
.... I can redo again if you find some flaws with no problems :coffee:

A Team.png

Art Team.png

Contributor.png

Design Team.png

World Team.png

..... Can you grab/use these in the .png form as they are ..... or do I have to do something else to them

dei

Java Priest
Contributor
Design
Art
Some derived work as a banner. Incorporated a part of sea and land/grass into the cube. If I place the title in the cube it doesn't look nice, so I placed it on top of it.
0001.jpg
Don't know if it fits on top of xenforo. Perhaps a simple gel-cube on the left side of the "Terasology" title would be better. What do you think?

Attachments

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
I thought it might be fun to keep our "blocky" theme with the badges and do blocks per letter, with a "personality" block on the end.

We could keep the font consistent or vary it per department. Here's a quick one I did for the snobby artists such as myself. ; )

art-badge.png

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Nice! Both the logo and the block per letter, hadn't thought about that. Cute flair block at the end :)

Many thanks. And MarcNottke get on IRC already :D

S

SuperSnarkTemp

Here's one for WorldGen ... supposed to be a cube eating the world ... his cheeks are stuffed, and one eye is big ... I may need to tweak it a bit to get that across ...

Suggestions welcome.

world.png

This is Marc =) Using a handle now.