Archived Art request - TerasologyLauncher (splash screen, ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
Heya all you Art Team :)

I would like to request some artwork for the launcher, namely a kind of splash screen for start-up. It should display the TS logo of course, and it must provide enough space for an info text area (maybe one or two lines, not more) and a progress bar (maybe at the same place where the text is, but I think it would be better to have it separately).

You can see a basic concept below, but that's just an idea of mine, so feel free to come up with some nice designs ;)
splash-concept.png

The purpose of this screen is
1) to indicate what's going on in the background, such as auto-updating the launcher and so on, and
2) give a feedback to the user that something "is" happening :D

Requested Art
  • Splash screen (background)
  • progress bar design
  • audio notification (no audio effects in the launcher)
  • application icon

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
You can use the one we are already using for the launcher application in the title ;) Its "borrowed" from the world team badge :D
icon.png

mkalb

Contributor
Logistics
I've seen it. But is this a good icon for the TerasologyLauncher?

The image must be converted to the ICO format.

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
You could always use something from one of the other badges, like the little red guy in "Contributor" (already about the right size) or the "Design" guy who fits into a square the best (yet might not shrink overly well)

contributor-gooey.png

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
You know what would be cool? Gooey eating the progress bar Pac-Man style in an animated GIF. :)

Or maybe eating the word "Terasology" ... how long does it take to load on average? Would there be time for an animation?

I could work on something.

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
We could definitely use such one! Maybe not in the splash screen (although downloading the 4MB for the launcher can take some time as well), but at least when downloading a new game version!

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
In-game progress bar could use that too, doooo eeeeeeet!

Edit: Doesn't have to be eating the bar either. Could be sliming it instead :D

Animated gif could work as a demo, I suspect we'll have to use some sort of animated GUI component instead though :)

SuperSnark

Lore Master
Contributor
Design
Art
yeah, I was going to ask what kind of animated output file I would try to create. I started looking into .svg animation programs last night to see what options were available.

hmmmmmm

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
You might want to look at the animation for the toolbar/inventory that Adeon added at some point. Rather than a single animated asset of some sort you may just need a hungry Gooey, "intact line" and "processed line" then we align everything right with code :)

Skaldarnar

Development Lead
Contributor
Art
World
SpecOps
As I added an audio notification for finished downloads, I want to add a request for a new sound snippet to replace my *masterpiece* :D

Just to quote Cervator from github:
I might suggest changing the actual sound to something milder though, hehe. Maybe one of the "squish" noises? Might be distinct too ;)

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hey Double_A ! Nice to see you back :)

Is the bottom bit meant to be a progress bar with the image being slowly revealed?

Also general note for the thread: We're going without sound for the launcher anyway. I wasn't thinking when I pushed for a notification noise, better to keep the launcher libs simple :geek:

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Good idea, anyway! Easier than a Gooey slime trail for now too ;)

Got some time to hang out and do art stuff again for a while? We need to kick that area up a notch again sometime soon :)

Still playing with mostly placeholder concepts, like the Foodieland theme, but then that is just easier and likely more fun in the meantime :D

Status
Not open for further replies.