Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drivers

• Other: Please Post

• Total voters

Herobrine2Nether

TerasologyProblem.PNG

So, I downloaded your game after stumbling upon some thought it would be cool to try since I play Minecraft. Anyway, after loading from the launcher, I ended up with the screen pictured above. Seems related to <http://forum.terasology.org/threads/every-thing-is-black.1147/>
The logs report a similar delta issue.

System Specs
---------------------------
HP Pavilion G7 Laptop
4GB RAM
Intel Pentium B950 @ 2.1 GHz
Intel HD Graphics [ Driver ver. 8.15.10.2559 ]
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
Java Versions: jre7, jdk1.7.0_67, jre1.8.0_40, jdk1.8.0_40

Java jre 1.8 should be default as far as I'm aware.
--> Will try on my Desktop in the near future. [Has better gfx card.]

Attachments

Last edited:

Cervator

Org Co-Founder & Project Lead
Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @Herobrine2Nether - actually that is the exact kind of artifacts I get while testing PR 1732. Which is interesting as you get it without that change.

Intel HD Graphics is often to blame, but I get that on a Core i7 desktop with two dedicated video cards, so it might be unrelated.

Keep an eye on that PR - I'd be very curious if that changes your issue. I'll ping it on GitHub with a link to this thread.

manu3d

Contributor
Architecture
Whoa. I wouldn't even know where to start to find what's causing that. I seem to understand this is happening before the menu should appear though. So, it doesn't involve the 3D renderer, only the UI part of the engine I'd imagine. @msteiger: what fixed the black screen problem in PR 1732? Is the line Display.setDisplayMode(new DisplayMode(320, 240)); that did it? But what is the GSLS shader doing so early in the application's lifecycle anyway?

MajorLunaC

Well, on Linux, I have to use libtxc-dxtn , which is a library necessary for viewing compressed textures. It's necessary on Intel Integrated graphics cards, otherwise textures end up black. See if you can search for the windows dll for that library.

Patent-Free Source: https://github.com/divVerent/s2tc/wiki/libtxc_dxtn

Patented Source: http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/S3TC/ (Use the environment variable every time you run something that needs it: export force_s3tc_enable=true ).

**You may have to install MESA or a newer version of MESA if you use Intel graphics drivers (especially for the black textures problem), with these options:

--with-dri-drivers= --with-gallium-drivers=swrast,i915 --enable-texture-float
(optional: --enable-glx-tls but xorg-server must also be built with exact same option !!!)

msteiger

Contributor
World
Architecture
Logistics
I messed up the shader compilation process - that's what caused the strange black image. I think the shader returned zero instead of the actual shader OpenGL, but I don't know for sure. So it's probably unrelated to this issue, I'm afraid.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Adding in a report submitted via FB - black screen in-game but punching blocks produces particle effects. Curiously, @Herobrine2Nether can you try to see if any effects like that show up if you punch something in-game despite the black screen? Or cycle through the items on the tool bar one by one (the torch is in there somewhere - use number keys or mousewheel)

FB user's system details:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
RAM: 6.00 GB
Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000

So as usual it is probably the Intel integrated graphics.

Maeglin

I don't know if this is the same but when I tried to swap to full screen it went black and didn't respond to alt tab or ctrl + alt+ del.
I had to hard reset (i didn't try esc though)

Another time it occurred was when playing windowed I went to change the volume through windows. The window went black and wouldn't respond to anything except Esc. which bought up the menu and allowed me to quit to menu and reload without any issue.

Running
Core i7. 6GB ram, Radeon HD7780 (2GB). Win 7 (pro) 64-bit

I have just updated the AMD drivers so I will test again.

Cervator

Contributor
Design
Logistics
SpecOps
Hi @Maeglin - probably a separate issue, especially considering your system (no Intel graphics). What exact game zip were you using and can you get us some logs?

@manu3d is working on the rendering and is aware of an issue in applying the graphic settings for instance. So there might be something to test within a few weeks :)

@Herobrine2Nether & @MajorLunaC are either of you around to try testing using the latest unstable build? It should be test-worthy now and I'm curious if anything changes.